[va-richmond-general] 5/8/2010 - Richmond and Eastern Henrico

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 21:51:56 -0400

I hit a few spots around Richmond and points east this morning. David Bryan and I started at 42nd Street. We found eight warbler species, the best one being a Canada. Parulas were still plentiful, as were Blackpolls. We had a couple of Prothonotaries, which I missed on two visits last weekend. We found one Swainson's Thrush, and briefly heard a Warbling Vireo. We saw one female Baltimore Oriole carrying nesting material.

I headed out to Crewe's Channel after that. There's very little water in the impoundment nearest the road, and not very many birds. One Great Blue Heron, one Greater Yellowlegs, one Semipalmated Plover, four Solitary Sandpipers, and two Least Sandpipers. There was one female Summer Tanager near the pullout. There were a number of singing Indigo Buntings, a couple of squabbling Yellow-throated Vireos, and two immature Bald Eagles soaring. Up the hill at the battlefield, I found a pair of Blue Grosbeaks.

--
Lewis Barnett