[va-richmond-general] Re: 42nd St. - Sunday A.M.

  • From: <hoplerjrda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:49:57 -0300

I spotted a Yellow Throated Vireo yesterday on my property (Gum
Spring).

>     Saw and heard nearly 50 species of birds in about 4 1/2 hours
this morning at 42nd Street - James River Park. Most notably, I heard
a Yellow-throated Vireo at the beginning of the bridge. I might have
seen it, but I'm not sure because the light at that particular spot
was poor. The Bonaparte's, for the most part, seem to have moved on as
I only saw one today, and it took some searching to find it among all
the Ring-billed Gulls. Here is the complete list. (h) means heard
only.
> Mourning Dove - 4
> White-eyed Vireo - 1 (heard others)
> Yellow-rumped Warbler - EVERYWHERE (at least 40)
> Chimney Swift - 2
> Downy Woodpecker - 5. One male was intent on drumming in a small wet
area near the beginning of the meadow. He was drumming on and off for
a couple of hours. It was fun watching him drum, then stop and turn
his head to listen to the
> response/s he got.
> Hairy Woodpecker - 1 male, seen/heard near the above-mentioned
drumming Downy. No mistaking that chisel of his!
> American Goldfinch - just as ubiquitous as the Butter-Butts. Saw 9,
heard at least twice as many. Two trees seemed be FULL of them.
> Tufted Titmouse - 4
> Blue Jay - 9
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 4 (heard at least that many others)
> Yellow-throated Vireo (h)
> Northern Cardinal - 9
> Red-winged Blackbird - 1
> Cedar Waxwing - 1
> Red-bellied Woodpecker (h)
> White-throated Sparrow - 20, minimum. Heard about 1/2 that many
others. I have a late date of May 22 for this species. Anyone have
anything later?

Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.)
please visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.