[va-bird] fledgling Red crossbills

  • From: Bear Mountain Farm Retreat <bearmountain@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:22:34 -0400

I am pleased to report the appearance on Saturday of 2 ( and there may be more) fledgling red crossbills at the feeder on the deck. After watching the pair for a few months now and trying (in vain) to follow them to their nest, the young birds themselves appeared! On the same day, another male also showed up. At one point, we had the regular pair, plus the new male at the same feeder, which was filled with black-oil sunflower seeds (unhulled by the way). The new male had the red-brick coloration mainly on the rump, rather than all over the head and body, like the other male. They seem to be able to tolerate other species feeding with them. THe only thing that frightens them away is a chipmunk or red squirrel!
A fledgling appeared and was fed seeds (maybe regurgitated)by the female. On the peak of our porch roof, the male was feeding another young bird. You can't imagine how excited I was about this!! I even made my daughter, who is visiting for the weekend, check out this sight, since I told her this may be a once-in-a- lifetime ornithological experience for her. Today we are socked in with fog and the rain continues, but I am on the lookout, since these birds are regular feeders and I'm sure will appear today. This is a great photo op for someone. The cones on the red spruce are just at the point where they like them (or so I have read), so I'm hoping they stay around here for awhile. If anyone knows of a crossbill expert, I would love to ask some questions. Like- are these type 4? Patti Reum
Bear Mountain Farm
Highland County, VA.