[va-bird] Re: birding along Mossy Creek

  • From: "WILLIAM and THERESE Leigh" <leightern@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:06:13 +0000

I birded along Mossy Creek in Rockingham and Augusta County for about 1 hour. I covered about 5 miles by recumbent bike. Best sighting was an Osprey with fish perched ~100 feet away on a low limb. He seemeed to be in no hurry to eat the fish. He just sat there with wet head feathers ruffled into a tempory crest looking around. I was surprised he didn't take off when I stopped to view him through bins but he just sat there. I watched him for 10 minutes or so and continued my bike ride.

other highlights include:

6 + purple finches (all females or imm males)
1 Great blue heron
15 Eastern Meadowlarks
2-Eastern Phoebes

William Leigh