[va-bird] Wilson Snipe @ Dyke Marsh

  • From: pmkane1953@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:01:52 -0500

All,

Doing some digiscoping at Dyke Marsh this afternoon when I flushed a single snipe about 20 yards west of the footbridge on the dog leg.

Also played 20 questions with U.S. Park Police Officer who stopped me near the Belle Haven parking lot to ask if I had a permit to be photographing with a tripod on National Park Service property. I was stunned, first because I didn't have the the aforementioned permit, and because I have been digiscoping on the river for years now without benefit of one.

One thing led to another, and the officer finally quoted the CFR to me, which does state that taking motion or still pictures with a tripod for commercial purposes requires a permit. I told the officer I was digiscoping on the river for personal, not commercial, purposes, and that I was therefore entitled to be digiscoping without benefit of a permit. Looking at my tripod, the officer was obviously skeptical, but he gave me a pass.

Danny, if you are lurking out there, your fellow officer was very nice. But what's up with this? BTW, the officer said he had just been transferred from downtown. I told him he better be picking up some additional ticket books if he was going to be stopping birders on the river with tripods and cameras. We had a good laugh about this and went our separate ways.

Paul Kane
Falls Church, VA