[va-bird] Tyson's Corner Flock

  • From: Allen Hart <hartal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:50:45 -0500

I was leaving Tyson's Corner today around 2pm and there was a flock of at least 500 birds on the ground in the median. It could have been 1000.

I'm used to seeing large flocks of starlings, but this was Brown-headed Cowbirds. Seemed like it was about a half and half split between males and females. This was by far the most Brown-headed Cowbirds I have ever seen at one time (I think I may have seen a dozen at once before this)

Is this actually a common fall occurrence that I've just managed to miss for years?

--allen hart