[va-bird] Rockingham County today

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 18:45:59 -0400

VA Birders,

Jon and BJ Little and myself tackled Rockingham County today. We mostly birded in the mountains heading up Little Dry River Road (Rt. 818) and then covering Forest Roads 87, 72, and 232 (I don't recommend this one!) and then heading out via German River Road. Forest Road 232 was very rough and BJ and I ended up walking in front of the car removing rocks while Jon gingerly drove down behind us for a while. We heard a couple species that we probably would have missed while we were walking though! Highlights here were a Ruffed Grouse with babies, singing Veerys, singing juncos and 16 species of warbler including Blackburnian, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Magnolia, and Yellow-rumped. We also visited Slate Lick Fields were we found a Willow Flycatcher. Along Rt. 761 (Sky Road) we found Savannah Sparrow and Grasshopper Sparrow. A complete list follows. Welcome to summer everyone!

Sue

Mallard
Green Heron
Black Vulture (Shenandoah County, we couldn't find one in Rockingham!)
Turkey Vulture
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Ruffed Grouse
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
White-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Common Raven
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Veery
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Pine Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Worm-eating Warbler
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org