[va-bird] Prothonotary Warblers at Veteran's Park (also Occoquan NWR) 29May

  • From: Steve Johnson <stevejohnson2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:43:50 -0400

A hot morning at Veteran's Park (near the Dawson Beach part of Occoquan NWR) produced at least 6 brilliant male Prothonotary Warblers singing their heads off in bright 7 AM sunshine.

I found a nice back entrance to Veteran's, close to the entrance to the NWR. From Dawson Beach Road, right before you get to the NWR turn right on Higham's Court. This road dead-ends in an industrial area. Park near the gravel path into the trees. This path leads into the park, and that's where all the Warblers (and a lot of other marsh birds) were.

Here's my combined list for Veteran's and Occoquan NWR, 1 hour each, from 7AM to 10 AM Monday 26May. Sorry, these are not exactly in the standard order.

- Steve Johnson
Fairfax, VA

Great Egret
Great Blue Heron