[Va-bird] Olive-sided Flycatcher

  • From: stauffer miller <stauffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:02:53 -0400

I went along Skyline Drive this morning from Loft Mountain south to Rt. 250 at Afton. Around 7:30 AM I was at the Trayfoot overlook. Just north of there are a number of tall snags, left from a fire of a few years ago. On one perched an Olive-sided Flycatcher. An Eastern wood pewee also shared the snag at times, so there must have been good fly catching there. As Todd Day reported, flocks of gnats are a constant, as I found them at every stop. I came across several large mixed species flocks, and was too slow to identify a great many of the warblers. I did get a definite identification of a Tennessee. Several Broad-winged Hawks were perched beside the Drive. Stauffer Miller