[Va-bird] Mathews County Marshes, 5/31

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:47:36 -0400

This morning from 0515 to 0730 Gene Burreson and I conducted our third and final volunteer tidal marsh breeding bird surveys in Mathews County (a project of the VA Bird Conservation Initiative).

We did point counts along the upper portions of Garden Creek (GC) and the road leading to Bethel Beach (BB). Overall, things were MUCH slower than the previous two rounds and the no-see-ums were far more persistent and numerous. But, the weather was much nicer (open, clear skies and low wind) and listening conditions more ideal (no dogs barked at us, and only a few cars).

Calling rails were surprisingly sparse at Garden Creek. In the previous rounds CLAPPER RAILS greeted us immediately by sounding off throughout the marsh. We only recorded one Clapper across the four GC sites and it only responded briefly to the CD playback. We recorded two KING RAILS here, one at each of two sites. We also had a single CHUCK-WILL'S-WIDOW calling when we arrived.

Rails were much more numerous at Bethel Beach, as usual, but were generally less vocal than previous rounds. We had at least 21 Clappers across the four sites, including 7 youngsters (6 ran across the road with both of their parents during one of the point counts - neat to see). We had 4 King Rails - what appeared to be pairs calling to each other, one at each of two sites.

Other interesting sightings:

Seaside Sparrows - at least 3 along the road to BB
Sharp-tailed Sparrow - 1 at BB (this bird is determined to go unidentified... it sounds like a Nelson's but won't come out of the grass)

Dave Hewitt
Gloucester, VA