[va-bird] Mason Neck SP 4/22 COM. LOON, PROTHONOTARY W., Y-THROATED W.

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:47:18 -0400

Birders,

No "beginners" showed up for the 10:00am Bird Walk for Beginners during yesterday's festival. So Kevin Parker and I hiked Bay View Trail anyway, and got some decent species despite the rain. Highlights included a COMMON LOON, first-of-season PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER. Full list follows.

Common Loon
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard

Lesser Scaup
Greater Yellowlegs
Caspian Tern

Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
American Crow

Car. Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler
Northern Parula
Northern Cardinal

Eastern Towhee
White-throated Sparrow
American Goldfinch

The next MNSP bird walk will be Saturday, April 29 from 9 to 11am. Meet at the Visitor Center, rain or shine. In May we switch to a schedule of first and third Saturdays for the bird walk, so there will be one on May 6 and May 20. Please contact me at the address below if you have any questions.

Good birding,

Jodi Bucknam
Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park