[va-bird] Mason Neck SP-- 22 Tundra Swans

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:28:33 -0500

Birders,

When the rain and fog finally lifted around mid-day today, my chief ranger came to my desk asking, "Hey Jodi, what are those white things out there?" We pulled out my scope and counted twenty-two TUNDRA SWANS resting on Belmont Bay. All had their heads tucked into their backs and looked as peaceful as could be. Scattered around them were also RING-NECKED DUCKS, RUDDY DUCKS, and SCAUP (presumably LESSER). The ducks were much more active than the swans, frequently diving below the surface and milling about in their groups. BALD EAGLES are still active as well. Courtship season is approaching, so be on the lookout for dramatic displays like a pair locking talons and plummeting toward the water.

The weather is forecast to stay warm for the next few days, but once it turns cold again try to get out to Mason Neck if you can. When ice forms on Belmont Bay we frequently see bald eagles lined up on the ice, presumably hoping for a dead fish to float by. It's quite humorous to see eagles trying to walk on the slippery ice.

Don't forget to join us this Saturday for the weekly bird walk. We meet at the Visitor Center for a 9am start, scope the bay for a while and then hike the Bay View Trail. All are welcome and no reservations are needed. Please address any questions to me at the email below.

**Please note also that there will be NO MNSP-SPONSORED BIRD WALKS IN FEBRUARY as the Visitor Center will be closed.** The rest of the park will be open as usual, however.

Good birding,

Jodi Bucknam
Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park (in Fairfax County)
7301 High Point Rd.
Lorton, VA 22079
mninterpreter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
703-339-2380