[va-bird] Mason Neck SP 12/2, 12/3

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:24:59 -0500

Birders,

The brisk wind yesterday kept most land birds tucked out of sight, leading to a pretty paltry trip list for the weekly bird walk. We did at least get to see two adult BALD EAGLES cruising the bay. I birded this morning as well and had a better total, but still not stellar. The cold front brought us lots of DARK-EYED JUNCOS and WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, both of which seemed to be everywhere along the Bay View Trail. Unfortunately most of the waterfowl was far offshore, beyond the reach of my optics so I only got the usual species-- RUDDY DUCKS and LESSER SCAUP. There may have been more interesting birds in the distant rafts. Species lists for each day are below.

Please join us every Saturday for the guided bird walk here at Mason Neck State Park. We meet at the Visitor Center for a 9am start, and after scoping the bay, hike the Bay View Trail. The only fee is a $4/car parking fee. Otherwise the program is free. All are welcome and no reservations are required. Please address any questions to me at the email below.

--Mason Neck SP (Fairfax County), December 2--
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Bald Eagle
Mourning Dove

Belted Kingfisher
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch
Hermit Thrush
Northern Cardinal
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

House Finch
American Goldfinch

--Mason Neck SP (Fairfax County), December 3--
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Lesser Scaup
Ruddy Duck