[Va-bird] Mason Neck Mystery Bird

  • From: Claire Kluskens <cpklus-genelib@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:16:56 -0400

I don't think Rick & Karen's bird was a Yellow Warbler. I stepped out my door this morning (also Fairfax Co.) and heard what I suspect they heard, but was unable to locate the bird in my neighbor's yard.

To my ears, it was: "tweet, tweet, tweet, thurrrr" wherein each mildly high pitched "tweet" was a distinct separate note, and the "thurrr" was a lower pitched sort of a trill that trailed off and was quite short. For those mildly musically inclined, each note was very regular, like four quarter notes in a row.

It was not the "hurried" and more musically complex "sweet, sweet, sweet, I'm so sweet" of the Yellow Warbler.

Claire Kluskens

On Jun 4, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Rick Jones wrote:

Thanks to everyone who responded. "Yellow Warbler" - the unanimous suggestion -- seems plausible. After listening to Peterson's Bird Songs and Lanius Software's North American Bird Reference Book, however, we're not positive that's what we heard. It certainly didn't sound very much like any Yellow Warbler we've met.

Thanks also to the person who recommended deer fly patches.

Rick and Karen Jones

On Jun 3, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

***One mystery bird escaped identification. A caricature of its song: sweet, sweet, SWEET, SWEET, sweet, swur ... sweet, sweet, SWEET, SWEET, swur. Six syllables followed by five, the last slurring downwards. If anyone knows of a likely suspect, let us know.***

Rick and Karen Jones
Alexandria