[Va-bird] If it's August...

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "VABIRD" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:17:41 -0400

If it's August then Common Nighthawk migration should be starting. Last evening I check their nocturnal feeding area at Gallows Rd and Boone Blvd near Route 7 in the Tyson's Corner area of Fairfax Co and found two nighthawks feeding over the buildings. One was visible most of the time and was joined by another one once in awhile. I had checked this area on 8-3 & 8-6 without any luck.
Another sign of fall was the Ovenbird caught in the yard this morning while mist-netting residents.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx