[Va-bird] Help with ID

  • From: morann <morann@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:31:39 -0400 (EDT)

I'm having trouble identifying a bird that was on my patio a while ago. It was about the size of a wood thrush, red legs, very prominent/long white eyebrow, slender straight beak like a thrush, grayish overall color, dark brown speckled or spotted white breast, did a lot of bobbing. The bobbing made me think thrush, but the eye band and red legs threw me off. It was looking for prey amongst lichen on bricks and under leaves. I saw it pull out a worm from under a pot but it didn't eat it. I really thought it might be an immature wood thrush but some of the markings didn't seem to fit. Any ideas?

Ann Donaldson
Barboursville