[va-bird] FW: Harrier, Least Flycatcher, others central Loudoun Co.

  • From: "P R Mocko" <paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:29:12 -0400

Posted for Joe Coleman.

From: "Coleman" <jandkcoleman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "VA-Bird" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: "P R Mocko" <paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Harrier, Least Flycatcher, others central Loudoun Co.
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:30:45 -0400

An early-morning walk at the Dulles Greenway Wetlands Mitigation Project (DGWMP) followed by the regular monthly bird walk at the Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve (www.bansheereeks.org) on Aug. 12 yielded 74 species of birds and 22 birders (we split into two groups at Banshee Reeks because there were so many of us). The highlights of the two walks, sponsored by the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy (www.loudounwildlife.org) were 2 AMERICAN WIGEONS, a NORTHERN HARRIER, a BROAD-WINGED HAWK, and a LEAST FLYCATCHER at Banshee Reeks, BALD EAGLES of all ages at both sites, and ducks and shorebirds at DGWMP.

The Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy often requests permission to visit the Wetlands prior to the Banshee Reeks walk - if you are int'd in joining us there please let us know when we send out the announcement for the Banshee Reeks walk. Everyone is welcome but we do need to limit the number of people visiting the Wetlands to approx. 12. Other highlights at the Wetlands included AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS, six GREAT EGRETS sparkling in the rising sun as they flew overhead, an immature COOPER'S HAWK, PIED-BILLED GREBES and several different shorebirds.

The other highlights of the Banshee Reeks walk included 1 WILLOW FLYCATCHER, a couple of PURPLE MARTINS, Blue Grosbeaks, and several juvenile bird species, frequently a difficult pleasure to identify.

Pied-billed Grebe 0/6
Great Egret 0/6
Great Blue Heron 0/2
Green Heron 0/7
Black Vulture 6/2
Turkey Vulture  7/3
Canada Goose  25/200+
Wood Duck  0/2
AMERICAN WIGEON 0/2
American Black Duck 0/2
Mallard 0/4
Bald Eagle 1/5 including birds of various ages from this year to adult
NORTHERN HARRIER 1
Cooper's Hawk 0/1 juvenile
Red-shouldered Hawk 2/2
BROAD-WINGED HAWK  0/1
Red-tailed Hawk 4/2
Killdeer  0/100+
Greater Yellowlegs  0/2
Lesser Yellowlegs  0/2
Solitary Sandpiper  0/4
Spotted Sandpiper  0/3
Semipalmated Sandpiper  0/5
Least Sandpiper  0/20
Rock Pigeon 3
Mourning Dove  11/6
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  5/2
Chimney Swift  8/5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  4
Belted Kingfisher  1/1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5/1
Downy Woodpecker  2/1
Hairy Woodpecker  0/1
Northern Flicker  4/1
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  9
Acadian Flycatcher  4 including 2 nestlings
Willow Flycatcher  1
Traill's Flycatcher  2
LEAST FLYCATCHER  1
Eastern Phoebe 8/2