[va-bird] Re: Dead Red-Shoulder mystery

  • From: steveyoung@xxxxxxx
  • To: clintgood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, KurtCapt87@xxxxxxxxxxx, jcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:30:31 -0400

Some years back a Coopers Hawk snagged a Rock Dove and flew headlong into my in-laws' front storm door near Silver Spring, MD. Both birds were killed. My guess is that a bird distracted by struggling prey may be a bit likelier to fly into a window.

In this case, the bird was banded and my father-in-law was able to communicate with the folks at the Department of Interior's Beltsville banding group, who told him when and where it was banded. They were pleased to get information even though the bird met a sad fate.

Cheers,

     Steve Young
     Arlington VA