[Va-bird] Correction Re: 10 Greater White-fronted Geese - Re: Birding Augusta County

  • From: "David Boltz" <david.boltz4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:36:32 -0500

The Snow Goose I reported in my initial posting is indeed a Ross' Goose. Thanks to Allen Larner for alerting me to my misidentification. The bird's head was in the shade and much of the body in the harsh sunlight when I observed it through my scope. I managed to do some spot correction in my photo and the bill and head shaped & color, along with the body size, make it clear that it is Ross'. A photo of it and some of the GWF Geese are attached to my ebird list, which can be seen at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41030377 .

Dave Boltz

-----Original Message----- From: david.boltz4@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 2:47 PM
To: Herbert Larner
Cc: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; shenvalbirds
Subject: 10 Greater White-fronted Geese - Re: [Va-bird] Birding Augusta County

After being successful in our search for the Snowy Owl pretty quickly this morning, Bill Parkin and I pursued Allen’s birds in Augusta Co. We found the adult Bald Eagle on Bells Lane immediately, in flight, being chased by a Red-tailed Hawk.

The spot where Allen located the GWF Goose is an ebird hotspot, Long Meadow Farm Pond. We counted a total of 10 GWFG there, among 125 Canadas, and a single Snow Goose (grin patch on bill clearly seen with scope). There were also a half dozen Mallards, 2 Hooded Mergansers, and a Belted Kingfisher.

Dave Boltz

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Herbert Larner via va-bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all

I did a little birding in & around Augusta County this morning & the only good birds that I found were a Bald Eagle on Bells Lane , & at the intersection of Long Meadow Rd ( Rt . 608 )& Kiddsville Rd ( Rt 796 ) mixed in with about 75 Canada were one Greater White Fronted Goose & one Ross's goose .

Allen Larner
Staunton
*** You are subscribed to va-bird as david.boltz4@xxxxxxxxx. If you wish to unsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visit https://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/va-bird ***

---