[va-bird] CONI-VA Update

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "night" <NITEHAWK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:12:47 -0400

Common Nighthawks continue to be present at their nocturnal feeding area at Tyson's Corner, Fairfax Co, VA.
After Sept 22 when I saw only one I thought the season was coming to a close, but the next night there were 5 birds and on September 24 the nighthawks has increased to 8 (I think there may have been a movement that afternoon). From 9-25 to 9-28 I recorded 6-8 nighthawks. 9-28 was a rainy night with storms coming through the area earlier that afternoon but I just kept watching for the birds to come out of the clouds.
Last night (9-29) after a cold front passed through earlier I expected most of the nighthawks to be gone, but instead there were 9 birds. For the most part the nighthawks are foraging very high now and one of my problems is distinguishing them from the numerous bats which are also foraging.