[Va-bird] Bobwhites, N, Harrier, Kestrels, Grasshopper Sparrows, etc... W. Fairfax County

  • From: Jeff Clark <jeffc666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:43:05 -0400

A birding buddy and I spent the morning in W Fairfax County watching what Nature had to show us. The weather was stunning, especially so for late June. The ticks were numerous, I mean really numerous, be careful out there. The most interesting non-bird related find was some scat that might have been from a bear! I looked it up when I got home and it was too large for anything else and its content as well as size and shape match up well with what my book says. Cool stuff.

Avian highlights were three singing N. Bobwhites, 2 Kestrels, 1 (maybe 2) N. Harriers (possibly on nest), lots of Grasshopper Sparrows (some obviously breeding), a Barred Owl hooting, a breeding Prairie Warbler. Plus all of the usual suspects, but not a single Chickadee.

--
Jeff Clark
Fairfax City, VA