[va-bird] Beaverdam Park, Gloucester, 8 Jan - Coots, etc

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:57:41 -0500

I did my best to count birds at Beaverdam Park in Gloucester on Sunday morning while walking a mildly insane terrier. Most conspicuous was the return of the COOTS en masse. Other nice finds were four WINTER WRENS, seven HERMIT THRUSHES, one BROWN CREEPER, two RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, and an unexpected FIELD SPARROW (which flew up out of the marsh).

All birds were seen walking the hiking trail 1.5 miles and back from the park's main entrance.

Pied-billed Grebe  3
Great Blue Heron  1
Mute Swan  16+
Canada Goose  25+
Mallard  24
Gadwall  8
Ring-necked Duck  1
Lesser Scaup  1
Hooded Merganser  58
Ruddy Duck  31
Turkey Vulture  5
Red-Shouldered Hawk  2 (one adult, one juv)
Coot  87
Ring-billed Gull  100+
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3