[Va-bird] Abrams Creek Wetlands (Winchester) 8/18

  • From: Waller Wilson <wallerw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Virginia Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 08:02:40 -0400

My wife Sandy and I saw the following 33 species at Abrams Creek Wetlands in suburban Winchester (enter at junction of Jubal Early Drive and Handly Avenue) yesterday morning.

Canada Goose
Mallard
Wood Duck
Green Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Peewee
Kingbird
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Robin
Catbird
Mockingbird
Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Song Sparrow
Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
Goldfinch

We also heard a ventriloquist softly and continuously (for more than 30 minutes) clucking high up in a large oak tree or down in the marsh twenty or so yards away. Several other birders heard the bird too, but we could never find it or even agree on where the call was coming from. One of the more experienced birders thought it might be a yellow-billed cuckoo. It sounded like a ruffed grouse hen to me????