[v-webmail] busting spammers

  • From: <oliver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <v-webmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:30:31 -0000

Hi list,

I have had some trouble with an abuser sending spam using v-webmail.

I could not track him down by looking at the FROM address which would
normally identify him, as this had been spoofed, very likely by hacking the
HTML on the compose page.

What I would like to do is, at the point where the send request is being
processed (in email.compose.php I guess ), to add an extra header in the
email which identifies the user-id, irrespective of how a user spoofs the
html in the send page. I guess I can do this by grabbing
$SESSION['email']['user'].

While I'm about it, I would also like to limit the number of users that can
be emailed at once, to say 20, to make it less attractive to spammers.

Has anyone done this already? If so, any help most welcome.

Thanks, Oliver Tickell.