[USS Tempest] Lost & Found

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:04:00 EDT

Lost & Found
By Seren Deaver, Anna Jameson, William Worthington, and  Rosemary Le Beau

The children were finally in something of a settled state though Seren
wasn't fool enough to relax in their presence.  He smiled at the sight of  the
Menkara family but the smile disappeared as he approached the open area  where
the
refugee children were.  The one that concerned him most was one  of the
oldest ones.  The scans showed him to be Human but...he shook his  head.  Since
when did Humans have wings?

Anna approached Seren with  a tired smile.  "I've been on my feet for over
twelve hours, I'm going to  crash on the office couch, okay?  If you're not off
duty, will you keep an  eye on the winged boy for me?  He's had severe trauma
to his wings.   They've been reset but if he's anything like a normal human,
he won't be able to  use them any time soon."

"Of course, Doctor.  All of this standing and moving in your condition  must
be putting a good deal of strain on your back and legs," he said, making a
slight shooing motion.  "Human, though, this one?  How very  odd."

"A mutant, I think," she said, stifling a yawn.  "We don't  have any aboard
so I can't confirm it but I believe Tempest has some."

Seren raised one brow.  "That is beyond odd then and straight into
fascinating," he said almost to himself but then he pointed at the office.
"Go,
Doctor.  Rest.  I promise to call you if I need to call in the  Marines."

Anna bit back a smirk but gave him a wave as she wandered into  the office.
With a relieved sigh, she closed the door and collapsed onto  the couch.

A mirrored pair of eyes watched the red haired breeder  disappear then fixed
on the tall man who remained.  He could vaguely  remember a time when a female
was something other than a breeder but it was  fuzzy and that one was
pregnant so that must be what she was.

Seren felt eyes on him and turned around.  The winged boy was  awake.  "Good
evening, my young friend,"  he said as he  approached.  "I'm glad you're
awake.  Welcome aboard the USS  Georgetown."

William let out a soft fluting noise as he recognised the  words and meaning
connected with them.

"My name's Seren Deaver.  I'm a Physician's Assistant, part of the  civilian
crew," he said, looking at the boy--no, he corrected himself, he's a  young
man, a teenager perhaps.  "Dr. Jameson, the red haired lady who just  went in
the office, has it in her records that your name is William.  Is  that right?"

Carefully, William nodded.  The breeder was a  doctor?  He remembered
doctors, they made sick people better.  Was he  sick?  His wings had been
broken but
did that make him sick?  In fact,  now he came to think about it, his wings
were feeling different, as if someone  had broken them and reset them.  He
could
actually feel the bones knitting  properly.

"And you are Human," Seren stated.  It was no question, though he was
curious.  "She says the fact that you have wings indicates you may be a
mutant.
Are you?"

William supposed he was so he nodded  again.  Mirror eyes blinked as he
twitched his head to the side, the  feathers of his hair ruffling slightly.

"They're beautiful but they were very badly injured.  If you can  actually
move them, you might want to wait.  You'll be in some serious pain  otherwise,"
Seren told him.

Again, William nodded.  this time, he  started fluting softly, his voice
making a trilling noise.

Seren tilted his head curiously, listening carefully.  Is that a  language,
he wondered.  "Can you say that again?" he asked.  "I speak  many languages but
that isn't one I know."

William repeated the noise,  willing the man to understand.  I cannot speak
your language, he said, but  thank you for fixing them.  They do not hurt...

Seren shook his head.  "I'm sorry, my young friend, but it's a bit  beyond
me.  Can you speak Standard...English, that is?"

William  shook his head.  That was what he was trying to say.  He couldn't
remember how, he couldn't form the words.  He tried again, fluting softly  at
different pitches, desperately wanting someone to understand.

"You know," he said almost to himself, "there aren't that many of your kind
at large.  Dr. Jameson did say there was another on Tempest.  Do you  think I
ought to call?"

William paused.  Another of his kind?   Could it be... his father?  Nodding
slowly, as if almost reluctant, he  tilted his head to the other side and cooed.

"Relax then, my young  friend.  I am only stepping to the main console to
make a call and look  something up," Seren told him

He honestly wondered if such a small detail  would even be in someone's
medical jacket but how else would he know if he  didn't look?  He hmmphed
softly to
himself.  The search parameters  yielded two names: Munroe, Alexandria and Le
Beau, Rosemary.  Ah well, I  start at the top and it seems Lieutenant Le Beau
is the Chief Engineer.  I  wonder, he asked himself as he tapped the comm, if
she is any relation to our  Marine.

"Bridge, this is Sick  Bay.  Could I be patched to a  Lieutenant Le Beau on
Tempest?"

The call was patched through and  soon static was replaced by the shining
face of an engineer.  "This is  Tempest's Engineering Department, we're kinda
busy right now.  Is it  important?"

"Seren Deaver from Georgetown's Sick Bay.  I'm looking for Lieutenant  Le
Beau," he explained patiently.  "I believe she may be able to clear up a
medical
mystery for me."

"She's kinda busy," the girl said.  She bit  her lip then shrugged.  "If she
shouts, it's your fault."  WIth that,  she bounced off.

"I should worry about an engineer yelling at me?" he asked aloud, almost to
himself.  "They've obviously never met Uncle."

The engineer bounced  up to Rosie and tapped her shoulder.  "There's a call
from GT but he  wouldn't go away so I came to find you."

Rosie blew a strand of white from around her face in a heavy sigh.   "They
have their own fix-its," she huffed as she glared at the transporter  matrices.

"But if I don't go see, they won't go way.  I know that  song.  Lead on."

The girl nodded and bounced away.  She peered  at the man on the console and
said, "I found her."

"Then I thank you for your assistance," Seren said with a nod of his  head.
Blue eyes settled on the woman on the screen.  Except for her  rather unusual
hair, which he knew could have been enhanced, she looked like any  other Human
he'd met.  Certainly not like William.  "Seren Deaver,  Lieutenant.  I hope
you'll forgive me if this sounds intrusive but I have a  good reason to ask.
One of our doctors told me there were at least two  homo sapiens superioris on
Tempest.  Are you?"

"If you mean a mutant-yeah, I am," Rosie replied, eyes narrowing in
suspicion.  "What's it to you?"

"Ah, excellent.  I realize that it's far fetched to assume such but do  you
know a young man with wings?"

William sat still on his bed, his eyes  closed as he felt his wings heal
quicker than any of his doctors would  believe.  Soon, he could stretch them
out
to their full length and it felt  like nothing he could have imagined.

"Oh dear Lord..."Rosie gasped, raising her hand to her mouth.  How old  would
he be?  Oh my God!  "Is he..does her have blonde hair?   Drop dead gorgeous
eyes?  About sixteen maybe?"

Seren raised one brow slowly.  "Indeed, that sounds very much like  him.  I
beg your pardon for assuming you would even know him but it seemed  a
reasonable risk."

"More reasonable than you think, Mr. Deaver," Rosie replied, biting back  the
irritation he was vaguely referring to.  No, there were more important
things to deal with.  "His name's William.  Can I see him?  Is he  alright?"

"He's getting better and let me see if I can set up the screen near his  bed.
 Hold on a moment or three," Seren said as he left viewer range to  return to
William.

William tried a few experimental swishes of his wings,  grinning at the gusts
it caused.

Seren stopped a foot or so from the wing flexing young man.  "William,  I
think I would very much appreciate it if you wouldn't do that in here," he
said
simply.  "There can't be enough room in here to extend the span  properly and
the wind is rather disturbing to the work flow."

William  paused then turned frowning mirror eyes on the Vulcanoid.  He
shrugged and  folded his wings away.

"Thank you," Seren said with a nod.  He beckoned to boy to sit and  come
closer as he lowered the diagnostic overhead.  "Lovely thing  technology is,"
he
continued as he tapped in a few program changes.   "Somebody on the other ships
really does seem to recognize your  description."

Tilting his head in curiosity, William raised feathered  eye-brows.

Within a few moments, the waiting comm line from Tempest appeared on the
screen.  "Lieutenant Le Beau, is this the young man you know?"

"Oh William..." Rosie said softly, pressing her hand to her  mouth.

William blinked.  He recognised this breeder...  No, not  a breeder.  She
was... like him.  She was family... "Rrrr..." he cooed  softly.  "Rosie."

"That's me," she said, smiling at him, wishing she could hug the boy.   "Your
father's been looking for you for so long, William.  I imagine he's  changed
the air patterns in Westchester from his flying  pacing."

"D..."  William shook his head, unable to quite form the  hard vowels just
yet.  He wanted to see him though.  His  Daddy...

"Do you remember Cerebro?  And the Professor?" Rosie asked, vowing to  put
the Vulcan's lights out if any of this got out.  "Professor X couldn't  find
you
either, something was blocking him.  But nobody ever  stopped."

William nodded, frowning again as he found his inability to  speak standard
frustrating.  "F...father..."

Rosie turned to look at the Vulcan.  "What's wrong with him?"

"Physically, he's doing a sight better than when he was found.  I  don't know
how long he's been missing but I sincerely doubt Standard was used  much, if
at all, in those mines, Lieutenant.  Only a few of the children  have spoken
to us and only one here with any acuity."  He offered William a  slight smile.
"Yet I know he understands me."

William nodded  again.  He understood, he just couldn't make them understand
him.

Rosie nodded.  It made sense, a very sad sort of sense.  "Yet you  recognized
me as me and not my mama," she said, smiling at the boy again.   "I applaud
your fine taste. Do you remember Ororo and Logan's daughter,  too?"

"Le..."  William huffed in frustration.  Instead, he  nodded again, his
cheeks flushed with his own embarrassment.

"Lexie--you got it.  Lexie's here on Tempest, too.  She's a  pilot," Rosie
told him.  "She'll be flying cartwheels over this you  know."

The boy grinned, his strange eyes dancing.  He remembered his  cousin, he
remembered all of them.  "Home," he murmured softly.

Seren squeezed the boy's shoulder gently.  "That's where you'll go
eventually.  We're a long way away but that's where we're going.   Maybe, as
soon as
possible, your friend here and the other will be able to come  visit on this
ship."

William nodded, his fingers going to the screen to  touch Rosie's cheek.

When any member of their family, when any Xavier kid, was lost or in
trouble, they all felt it.  Thus, they all felt it when there was joy among
them.
She turned from the screen a moment.  "Caine!   Telis!  See to the transporters
right away.  Get Adair to help  you.  I need to be able to get back and forth
to the George and more than  just an apparently large Vulcan."

"You got it, boss!" came Caine's voice.

There was a confused smile  on his face as he watched his kin.  William
tilted his head like an owl,  confused but considering.

"What I'm going to do, sweetie, is get my ship in order so I can come see
you," she  explained.  "And I'm gonna call your daddy, too.  I  can smile nice
at the captain's aide to get that permission."

William's  whole face lit up.  He cooed cheerfully at her, willing her to
understand  how grateful he was.

Rosie grinned.  She'd never quite understood Warren when he did that  but she
knew the look on the boy's face.  "Can you sit tight for a bit  then, until I
fix Tempest from being shot at?  Behave and not give this  poor guy a hard
time?"

William nodded firmly, his eyes desperately wide  and not wanting her to go.

"It's alright, sweetie," Rosie said gently.  "I'm the chief engineer  and I
have work to do but I'm there as soon as I'm finished.  In fact, I'm  bringing
Lexie if she's not on duty and definitely somebody special.  You'd  get to be
the first Xavier kid to meet him after Lexie."

"And if it takes the good lieutenant any amount of time longer than you are
comfortable with, say something to me," Seren suggested.  "I am quite sure
she wouldn't mind a call."

The boy nodded again.  He wanted them to  know how much he needed them but he
just couldn't find the words so he simply  smiled sadly at her.

"Mr. Deaver, if he's anything like his daddy, William will want to, and I
mean this literally, spread his wings and fly.  Y'all might want t'see  about
maybe taking him to a holodeck for a good stretch," Rosie said, knowing  the
suggestion would perk the boy up.

"F... fly," the boy whispered to  her, his eyes glowing.

"William, my friend, if you promise me you won't set any stiff breezes in
here then I will definitely see about setting up a holodeck program for you to
fly in.  I know just the place to set it in, too," Seren told him, again  just
about smiling.  "I can't say as I've ever seen a Human fly on his  own.  It
would surely be a  sight."