[USS Tempest] Coincidences? by Lindsey Craig & Rosie Le Beau

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:26:28 EDT

Instead of heading back to her office, Lindsey bounded up to Main Engineering
 in the hopes of finding Rosie. "Too many malfunctions," she muttered. "Too
many  damn things wrong with my ship."
After her encounter with Vivie, Rosie headed back to Tempest in a better
frame of mind.  She was sure Nathaniel wouldn't mind the invitation she'd
accepted.  As she walked in, she noticed that Davis was out on yet another
service
call.  In the brig.
"Well, why the hell not?" she grumbled out loud.  "Nothing else is  working
right--why should the brig be any exception?  The captain's not  going to be
happy about this at all."
"You're right, I'm not."  Lindsey tried to smile in the doorway but it  came
out more like a grimace.  "What the hell's wrong with my ship, Rosie  and how
the hell do we fix it?"
That was twice now that the captain had managed to sneak up on her.   Rosie
turned around and waved the PADD she held in her hand then held it out to
Lindsey.  "I think we got sold a pig in a poke, Captain.  I don't know  why but
there are malfunctions all over the ship, mechanically and in  programming.
You
ought to see what happened to Counselor Matthews'  personal PADD.  Chief
Lynley managed to retrieve that data on there but I  wouldn't hook any PADD
into
the mainframe until its contents are backed up  elsewhere.  And I won't even
start about what happened to the doc."
"Maybe the guys at Utopia Planetia were told to do a rush job," she said with
 a shrug.  "It's all fixable but it's the worse case of planning and
building I've ever seen."
Blowing out a depressed breath, Lindsey nodded.  "How long before we're  in a
good enough state to get on our way?"  She didn't really want to know  the
answer but she needed it.
"A couple of days.  I think if I set the system restore and let things  start
up on their own, things will behave.  It might mean people will have  to stay
station side for a day or two but no more than that.  Can't have  people
staying on ship with no working facilities after all," Rosie said with a
slight
shrug.  It didn't please her one bit.  She didn't like getting  the short end
of the stick and she couldn't help but think that it had all been  a setup.  "I
really can't believe that this is all a coincidence, Captain,  not after what
you and Chief Lynley said the other day."
Lindsey snorted.  "When I get my hands on the person responsible,  because
even if this ain't foul-play there's still someone to blame, I'm gonna  make
their life a living hell.  I am going to force on them every single
malfunction
that this ship and this crew has had to put up with over the last  few days.
Because this just ain't funny any more."
Rosie nodded in agreement.  "There's all kinds of things going on and
somebody's going to get hurt rather than just inconvenienced," she said
vehemently.
 "I would love to know who's behind all this."
"Ultimately?  Hell, I already know that."  Fishler!  But she  could never
prove it, he would slither away yet again.  "Without jumping to  the conclusion
of a conspiracy, I'd say the shipyard is responsible.  I'm  going to contact
them and see if they can shed any light on the matter."
Rosie's mouth twisted.  She knew exactly who Lindsey meant.   Between what
Lindsey and Nathaniel had told her together and what Nathaniel told  her later
on, she knew that Admiral Fishler was capable of almost  anything.  The
problem, as she saw it, was that some poor shmoe at the  shipyard had either
been
coerced into doing a poor job or was in Fishler's  pocket somehow.  Nathaniel
had
stood up to him and had a price, even if he  was back in the Fleet now.
"Good luck," she said with a sigh.  "I'll get started on the restore  right
away."
"Thanks Rosie," Lindsey finally smiled.  If anyone could fix her ship it
would be Rosie.  "Let me know if there's anything I can do, won't  you?"