[USS Tempest] A Visit to the Apothecary by Master Caine & JT Swiftwind

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:36:21 EDT

The room was different than back in San Francisco, bigger really,  but less
than when he'd lived in Montana.  Cricket was happy with  the gardening trays
and drying racks that he had set up, though.  Celebrin  had told him she could
see about getting him set up in a larger space, maybe in  one of the botanical
areas, but he'd demurred.  That space no doubt  belonged to the one they
called 'prylar' and there was no way he would impinge  on another's territory.
He
stood back, looking over his stores, and  nodded.  It would do.

If this had been one of the  dyed-in-the-wool healers back home, JT would
have known exactly what to  do.  There were rules of behavior there and there
was
no danger of someone  like Five Suns misunderstanding what he wanted.  He
just hoped that Alek  had had a chance to see the man and that his visit wasn't
unexpected.  He'd  given him directions but 'Look for one of the ambassadorial
suites.  You  can't miss it' wasn't what JT called good directions.  Then he
saw the  dragons painted over the top of one door.  It has to be, he thought.
If not, I say hi and keep looking.

Cricket looked up at the sound of the chime. Rising smoothly from his feet
from the stool in front of the low table where he'd been storing a batch of
witch hazel, he went to the door. He wasn't expecting anyone but one never
knew.  Most likely it was somebody looking for his wife.

JT had no idea what to expect  but the young man in front of him definitely
wasn't what he had in mind.   He's younger than me for sure, he thought,
but...I must be seeing things.   Chinese for sure but he's got the look of our
people.  "I'm looking for  Master Caine..." he said carefully.

When Cricket smiled his face always lost its mask of seriousness and it
became friendly and animated.  "That would be me.  Come in, come  in.  You
would
be the one Sergeant Singh told me about," he said, waving  for the man to come
in.

"Yes, sir," JT said  automatically.  "JT Swiftwind."

"You don't have to 'sir' me unless you want to," Cricket said with a shake
of his head.  "Formally, the entire name is Kwai Chang Daniel Caine but  I've
been given the nickname Cricket and earned the title Master."

It was worth a shot.   "NetonÃÅevehe?" he asked.

"Vo'evÃhtamehnÃstse nÃheÅevÃhe," Cricket replied promptly.  "'Walks on
Clouds'."

"I thought I was seeing things,"  JT said, shaking his head as he stepped
further inside." OkÃhke'nÃsemoo'o nÃheÅevÃhe then or any of the other
two."

"Spirit Crow, the keeper of scared law.  A good name.   Now, come with me
and let me look at the injury the sergeant told me  about," Cricket said.

There was something very strange  about the man, that much was certain.  The
cabin reflected a Chinese  heritage yet there were signs of the Cheyenne that
he's recognized.  The  most prominent things were the beaded medicine bag and
knife the man wore  at his waist.  The straight black hair could have come
from either heritage  but the height?  Heh, he's almost as tall as I am.  That
part's  Cheyenne, he told himself.  He followed the strange young man into one
of  the other rooms and let out a low whistle of admiration.

"My uncle's cousin would love  this set up," he said, a bit awe struck.
Something about the familiarity  in the set up was the last straw.  He relaxed.

This one could be  trusted.

Cricket smiled slightly.  It wasn't  as complete as it could be but it was
enough.  For now.  "I understand  that Sergeant Singh cleaned and closed the
wound but I'd like to see it if I  may.  You'll have to remove the jacket and
shirt."

The tattoo went from his collar  bone down to end of his sternum and the
colors were as vivid as the day it was  inked on.  It was the same design a
long
ago ancestor had drawn and it had  been used by many of those named Swiftwind.
"The first of us who was named  Swiftwind," JT said, tapping the design, as
he sat on the low stool and  held out his arm.

"It's good to honor tradition," Cricket said as he slowly undid the  bandages
on the proffered arm.  It was still swollen from the cut itself  but it
wasn't puffed or streaked.  He moved the fingers one at a time,  noting the
lack of
pain from the movements, and then carefully flexed the  elbow.  "He did
excellent work.  I am impressed.  Do you know if  he used something antiseptic?"

"Yeah and it stung something  fierce.  I don't know what it was though," JT
replied.  He had no  doubt that it wasn't something against his wishes.  The
sergeant came  to Sick Bay armed and ready so he no doubt knew what I would
tolerate or  not.  I really ought to thank the man again.

"Do you know how to make willow bark tea?" Cricket asked.

"Oh yeah.  My mom makes it  for anybody who needs it," JT replied easily.

"I don't have very much of it, since I am still unfortunately replenishing
my stock, but I'll send you off with some in case it starts to ache more  than
you can tolerate.  I can also send you off with some aloe to reduce  the
scarring--though that doesn't look like that will happen--and an infusion of
calendula to keep the area clean with.  Does that sound good?"   Cricket asked,
moving to find the appropriate herbs without waiting for an  acknowledgment.

"Ah, yeah--sure, thank you,  s--Cricket," JT said.  He watched the younger
man move about his work,  growing more assured with each careful measurement
and
movement.  If this  were home, he knew no healer would accept payment so he
would have to find a way  to properly thank the man.  It was only right.  "Can
I ask where your  people are from?"

"China," Cricket said with a mischievous tone, "the Hunan province to be
exact.  Then there's Massachusetts..."  He was still measuring and  packing as
he
spoke, knowing that his long answer was probably a bit  irritating.  "Ah, and
Montana.  My mother was half Cheyenne, from  around Feather Bluffs, but I
learned the art from my father"

JT began putting back on his  shirt and jacket but something was bothering
him.  'Around'?   People haven't been from 'around' anywhere in centuries. He
almost  pressed the point then shut his mouth.  He didn't want to know.  "I'm
glad you did then."

Cricket pressed three silk wrapped bundles into JT's hands, saying," Return
the silks when you can and come see me if you have any questions."

"I will.  Thank you again,  Master Caine," JT said.  Now, he thought, back to
 work.