[USS Sirius] "Getting to Know You" by Lt. Tareb and Lt. M'Raku

  • From: "Bethany Sharma" <captsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usssirius@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:37:11 +0100

"Getting to Know You"

By Lieutenant Tareb and Lieutenant Takara M'Raku

Tareb sat in the corner of the rec room, plucking gently at the strings of a lyrette. Sirius had been underway at warp 5 for the past three hours, and with the ending of Tollos' shift, Tareb had decided to take some time to relax with his shipmates before returning to his quarters. Strumming the Vulcan instrument helped him to wind down after the stress of the telepathic link with his Medusan partner.

He grimaced slightly as he hit a bad note, pausing to adjust the voicer control before resuming his meditative playing. He'd never had much of an interest in music before signing up, but his close contact with Tollos had rubbed off an appreciation for the beauty to be found in a collection of finely-sculpted sound waves. After six months of practice Tareb was gaining in confidence, but knew he still had a long way to go before he could be considered proficient.

Though it was nothing like home, the ship's sick bay would do. Takara had spent her first shift looking over files and making lists of crewmen who should need their physicals done sooner rather then later, and the work had actually given her an appetite. Wandering into the crew lounge she wondered if she would be able to get a decent meal on this ship. Humans had this odd feeling about hunting.

Tareb sensed the alien woman enter the room. Her psionic aura was distinctly different from the humans that made up the bulk of the crew. She had the air of duty that marked her out as a Starfleet officer, but perhaps with a hint of something wild and untamed. Tareb resisted a brief urge to look into her mind to find out more - something that was frowned upon amongst the Aenar. Still, he was intrigued.

Once he would have just sat in silence rather than start a conversation with a stranger, but Tollos had been urging him to be more sociable, and so he raised a hand in greeting.

"Hello. Would you care to join me?" he asked.

This one smelled odd. Takara was pretty sure she hadn't come across the likes of one of these before. Her whiskers twitched as her ears turned fully forward. "Greetings." She purred softly.

What a lovely voice! Tareb thought. "I'm Tareb," he introduced himself. "I'm the assistant navigator. I don't think I've met you before."

"I am Takara M'Raku." Takara replied with a flick of her tail. "I am a doctor and have only just arrived."

Tareb smiled. "How are you finding working with the Doc?" he asked, remembering his own first encounters with the short-tempered CMO.

Takara shrugged furry shoulders. "He is..." She paused to think of the right human phrases. "Fine for an administrator. He showed me around sick bay, which he knows well, but not as well as his experiments. I think he?s more of a medical researcher which is fine. It means he?ll stay out of my way.?

"I know what you mean," Tareb said. "When I first came aboard and had my physical I got the feeling that he just wanted to get rid of me as quickly as he could. I suppose our diplomatic guests will be going through that about now." He leaned in a little closer. "I must admit, the thought of that arrogant Commissioner Henshaw suffering one of Doc Durand's exams doesn't upset me too much," he confided. He found himself warming to this young medic. She had such an... interesting aura.

With claws extended Takara used one finger to push the young man back a bit. "If these diplomats are like the ones at home then I will give them a wide berth. Diplomats make me sneeze."

Tareb rubbed his chest where Takara's claw had left an indentation. *Smooth going*, he thought to himself. *Why am I always such a clutz around women?* It made him briefly yearn to re-establish his link with Tollos and let the worldly-wise Medusan pick up the conversation for him. But Tollos was resting in his quarters. *Gotta stand on your own two feet at some point, boy* he imagined his fellow navigator saying in his mind.

Tareb cast about for a way to cover his faux pas. "Um, do you play 3-D chess?" he asked. *Weak!*

Takara glanced at the board before nodding. "We have a game close to it at home. I learned to play the human way while at the academy." With a hunterss' ease, the feline woman walked over to the board and took a seat. A challanging game was almosy as good as a belly filling hunt, food could wait.

"Great!" Tareb enthused. He began happily setting up the board on the table between them. *Well, maybe I'm not going to seduce any space princesses on this tour*, he thought, *But at least I can talk to them!*

The new MSN Search Toolbar now includes Desktop search! http://join.msn.com/toolbar/overview