<USS Meridian> "At Least We're Not Juggling Geese..."

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

At Least We're Not Juggling Geese...
Ensign Bridget Howell
and
Ensign Madeline DuGrey

Bridget walked down the corridor towards science. More of the Nightshade might
be necessary, and she thought she'd help out by getting it before it was
actually needed. She turned and strolled into the main department, hoping to
see a friendly face.

Madeline's head hurt. It was the kind of
staring-at-a-console-and-trying-to-puzzle-out-something-that-you-only-took-a-required-class-in-though-you-hated-mathematics
 hurt. "Argh!" she cried out as Bridget walked through the door and Madeline
stopped before she threw her plush "frustration bunny" in that direction. In
fact, she stopped mid-hurl, floppy ears hanging down and tickling her wrists.

And now she felt silly.

Bridget stopped and stared at Madeline, trying to stifle a laugh. "Nice rabbit.
You okay?"

Madeline glanced slowly up and sideways at the furry critter, then perked her
brow at Bridget. "Um... he was trying to make me do math. Botanists don't do
math." She lowered the bunny and cradled him in her arms, snuggling him tightly
as she smiled and laughed. "So... how did the Nightshade work out?"

"That's cute." Bridget smiled at Madeline and the stuffed animal. "The
Nightshade will work, but I was wondering if maybe I could grab some more. You
know, just to have it on hand in case this happens again. It's rare, so I doubt
it will, but it's always better to be prepared."

"Sure! I'd much rather go sweet talk plants than look at supposedly weird
nebulas that make about as much sense to me as a regular nebula." Walking
towards the botany lab, Madeline realised she was still holding the bunny and
turned back around to plop him on the desk. "Stay, Alfred."

Bridget giggled and started to follow. "Alfred, huh? I like that name. Where'd
you come up with that? And do you usually go throwing your rabbits around the
Science department?"

"Only stuffed ones. Don't look so horrified. It?s not like we juggle geese...
anymore..." The sentence trailed away as she wound her way through the plants
to the Argellian Nightshade. "I love the way this smells in the mornings."

"Juggle geese?" Bridget looked puzzled, but let it go. There was enough going
on without worrying about fowl being thrown around Science. She wove her way
around the botany lab with Madeline and tried to remember all the names of the
plants around her. "Um, smells great..."

"Yeah, geese. Goslings, actually. I think it was a bet or something once.
Anywho," she chirped, glad to be away from that console. "I love this flower.
They say it's an aphrodisiac, though I've never given it a try. The colour blue
is the exact replica of something I saw on Earth once, but never again." She
snipped a few more twigs and placed them in a sealed baggie. "So, are you in
any hurry to get back?" Leaning against the table, Madeline's light grey eyes
appraised the other woman in front of her, hoping for a partner in crime.

"Thanks. This'll be useful." Bridget eyed Madeline, noticing the look being
thrown her way. "No, I don't have any place to be immediately. Marnie is taking
care of the remedy, and she's got all the Nightshade she needs for now. Why do
you ask?" Her eyes twinkled, itching to know what was going on.

"Well, I was hoping you'd help me think up a reason for getting out of here.
Lieutenant Christian wanted me to go over these nebular readings in case I
could spot something she missed... but she's the astrophysicist, not me. I
almost failed those classes at the Academy... So, you know, if you could think
of something that needed done that only say, a botanist could do..." Her dark
hair framed her perfect ivory complexion and made her look innocent and
adorably hopeful.

Bridget bit her lip. She didn't want to break any rules, seeing as she had only
been on the ship for a matter of days, and didn't need to be on anyone's bad
side so soon. But, she didn't want to pass up a friend. Friends weren't easy to
come by, and she needed all the friends she could get. Bridget looked around
the lab, making sure they were alone, then back at Madeline. "What did you have
in mind?" Bridget cocked her head, and smiled.

"Maybe you need some help with that remedy?" She perked her brows. "It's a
serious matter that needs to be discussed over coffee." Madeline nodded her
head with dramatic seriousness. "Right?"

Bridget returned the nod, just as seriously. "Right. Very important that we
have a botanist close by. Just to make sure that everything having to do with
the plants is in order. Keeping them...comfortable, and whatnot." She smiled,
and turned. "To the lounge then?"

"Absolutely. I love a friend that thinks on the same level," Madeline grinned
and threw her arms around Bridget's shoulder. On their way out the door, she
gave Alfred a pat on the head.

http://mail.yahoo.com