[ussgeorgetown] If Looks Could Kill by Jassa Kost and Revaed S'Aehallh'Nveni

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:02:18 EDT

If Looks Could Kill
by Jassa Kost and Revaed S'Aehallh'Nveni

Jassa already knew Vincent wasn't going to be there when she woke up but  she
could still smell him on the pillows.  Reaching over to hug one for a
moment, she though 'wonderful man'.  She went through her usual morning
routine
intending to have breakfast in the mess hall but she had to stop when  she
stepped into the main room.  The rose Vincent had given her the night  before
was
resting in an ordinary glass of water but there was nothing ordinary  about the
rose or man who'd given it to her.  She bent to inhale its  fragrance and had
to smile all over again.  He loves me.  He's a  Marine and a gentleman and he
loves me.  She didn't care if it made her  look like a silly teenager.  There
was a spring in her step, a definite  spring, as she headed for the door.
~~~~~~~
She generally liked the mess hall.  A person could work and  eat without
being antisocial.  She settled at a table with her coffee and  croissants,
crescent shaped rolls that Vincent swore were pure heaven when made  properly..

She'd just buttered one of the rolls and was just about to take  a bite when
she
felt a pair of eyes on her.  She looked up to see Elspeth  sitting a few tables
away and her eyes were drilling like two phasers.   Jassa let out a soft
sigh.  You're not going to run away.  You don't  have to.  Vincent's joyful
laughter.  The taste of his kiss.  The  feel of being in his arms.  Go away and
leave us alone.  Jassa Put  down her croissant and picked up her work PADD, her
appetite suddenly  dashed.  She didn't see Elspeth's mouth twist in a sick
smile.

Someone else saw that terrible smile, though, and Jassa's  reaction as well.
Whether it was on ch'Rihan or on the Georgetown, Revaed  was still an adept
at watching and being unseen.  The Trill was obviously  much younger than the
Human, barely more than a girl in his eyes, and it was  equally obvious that
the Human had unnerved her.  It occurred to him that  the Human would bring
harm
to the Trill girl if she could.  He would have  otherwise thought the entire
thing to be beneath his notice but something made  him dislike the Human.  He
stood with his usual tiger-like grace and  approached the Trill.

Large hands planted themselves on the table just in Jassa's  peripheral view,
making her start in fright.  Dark blue eyes glanced  over.  A man's hands.
She gave a mental sigh of relief.  The  relief didn't last very long, though.
She looked up to see who the hands  belonged to and saw Revaed's dark,
penetrating eyes.  She almost dropped  her PADD.

"What did you do to that woman to make her look at you so?" he  asked.

The voice was low and deep.  The corner of Jassa's mouth  twitched.  "She's a
bitter, hateful woman and I wish she would leave me and  Vincent alone."

That piqued his interest.  He recognized the name but he  wanted to be sure.
"The sergeant major?  One of your Marines who  drinks that same foul
concoction you are drinking?"

Jassa could still feel Elspeth's eyes boring into her.  She  forced herself
to not look at the other woman but up at Revaed.  Good lord,  I knew about Dr.
tr'Ghaladriel but this is not him.  This guy looks  dangerous.  And he knows
Vincent?  Slowly, she nodded her head.   "That's him."

Revaed continued to regard her curiously as he connected the  cold sick smile
he'd seen with what he'd overheard and already knew about the  Marine he'd
met.  The man was inoffensive and harmless enough and he  could respect both
his
age and earned rank.

"Then that susse-thrai would be his wife," he said as he  deliberately sat
next to her, "and you would be his lady."

"Uh...yes."  Her cheeks flushed under Revaed's gaze.   How did he know so
much if she had no idea who he was?  "He's a good  man."

Revaed hmmphed softly.  "It seems so this far."

Jassa looked at Revaed from the corner of her eyes.  Those  dark eyes were no
longer looking at her but at Elspeth and it wasn't with that  calm curiosity.
 This was a cold eyed stare that reminded her of a predator  stalking prey.
She was certainly glad he wasn't watching her like  that.  If Elspeth's glare
had scared her, then this strange man's steady  unblinking regard was
completely unnerving the other woman.  Jassa risked a  glance at her.  Yes, she
definitely looked frightened.

"You do know she means you harm, don't you?" Revaed asked, his  eyes never
leaving Elspeth.

Jassa willed herself not to tremble at the thought.  "She  can hate me all
she wants," she said softly.  "I'm not leaving him."

"There's mnhei'sahe in that sort of jol," Revaed said  simply.  An almost
Rihannsu quality, he told himself.

A very slow smile started to spread across the man's face,  making Jassa risk
another glance at Elspeth. The older woman seemed to have lost  a good deal
of color in her face and she was heading for the door, glancing at  Revaed
nervously as she did.  Revaed finally looked at Jassa again after  she was
gone.
He seemed to be quite pleased with himself.

"You would do well to warn your man, Little Miss," he told  her.  It was a
translation of a Romulan term of respect for a younger  woman.  He'd been told
that certain Federation women would find it  offensive but, he told himself, so
be it.  "You are familiar with the  expressions the Humans have--if looks
could kill?"

"Then I'd be dead," Jassa said softly.

Revaed shook his head.  This girl was nothing like  Julita.  She was no
warrior but, no doubt a scientist or an engineer.   He took in the blue eyes
that
were the color of Water at night and the short  dark hair.  Cute little thing.
I must remember to compliment the  Human on his upgrade in taste.  "Exactly.
Warn him, Little  Miss.  Tell him to take care of you."

"I have no doubt but that's he'd do that already, sir," Jassa  stated.   I
will not hurt you.  Je t'aime.  My May  morning.  She looked at Revaed again,
wondering who he was.  That  dark eyes that had so frightened Elspeth were
observing her with what looked to  be concern and maybe amusement.  "Thank you
for
your help."

"You are welcome," he said simply as he stood up.  "Good  luck to you and
tell your Marine that he is the one who is a heathen for  drinking that boot
polish."
~~~~~~~
She doubted Lieutenant McKay would appreciate it if she went  down to the
Science lab to find Vincent solely for personal reasons so, when she  left the
mess hall herself, Jassa headed back to her--our!--cabin.  She  didn't like to
work while sitting on the bed but the pillows still held the hint  of him.  She
held one close to her as she powered up her PADD.  Please  come home...