[ussgeorgetown] An Offer of Help by Erelen Haegul and Drs. Rachelle Michaels & Pas Kaartaren

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:47:28 EDT

Pas offered Erelen a reassuring, warm smile as he walked with  her toward
Sick Bay.  Poor Rachelle, he thought, the woman is so busy but  she's a damned
fine doctor.  She will find this interesting. "Erelen, I  know you don't much
care for people in my profession.  Even suggesting what  you have takes a lot
of
courage."

Erelen was  slightly puzzled by his last statement.  "He needs help.  What
else  would I do?" she asked.  "Oh, and its not that I don't like counselors or

doctors.  I avoid both because the former tends to be telepathic and the
latter could get me in a world of trouble if they manage to figure out  what my
real blood type is."

"Ah, I see.  Mind you, this  is my own curiosity and not a professional quest
ion, but you know I'm a Betazoid  and, therefore, a telepath.  It's no secret
that I'm also quite on the high  end of the scale psi wise.  Are you afraid of
me?"  he  asked.

"Yes, I know," she said with a  slight smile.  "Your reputation precedes you.
 But afraid... no.   I just have to be more careful.  I'm an empath of some
sort; I have yet to  be tested.  I seem to project well enough, and that's not
always a good  thing."

"Again, with me, you needn't worry.  My parents  taught me good mental
manners, Erelen.  I don't like to think people are  afraid of me," he said
simply.

Erelen shrugged, not sure she explained very well.  "I never  thought you
would go looking around unless you had no other choice.  I just  don't want to
accidentally project something nobody wants to see.  Since  telepaths pick
things up more easily than people who are psi-null, I have to be  more careful.

Luckily, I've had lots of practice, but there were a  few..... accidents I wish
I could have prevented before I learned how to keep  things under control,"
she added in, hoping this made sense and that she hadn't  offended him.  He
seemed a good person.  She was more anxious about  what was coming up than him
peeking.  She had her memories in very careful  control.

"Then I have something  for you to contemplate for later on," Pas said as
they reached Sick Bay.   He stopped and looked into her eyes, easily done since
she was almost as tall as  him.  "I'm a teacher as well as a doctor, Erelen.
If you ever decide  you want to learn that control, you need but ask."

Erelen thought about that for a minute.  "I have had........  several years
to practice.  But I might take you up on that.  It  couldn't hurt, after all,"
she finished, then glanced at the sick bay  doors and took a deep breath.  She
mustered a smile.  "Shall  we?"

Pas stepped inside and  looked around.  Spotting his fellow physician, he
asked, "Rachelle, do you  have a moment?  Lieutenant Haegul has asked me to
help
her present an idea  to you."

She turned from the screen she had been studying, looking for more  clues to
help Senek at least feel less pain until she could pick Julian's brain  later
on the subject.

"Of course. What can I do for you?"

Pas' hand was gently  resting on Erelen's shoulder projecting calm and
warmth.  "I'm sure you  recognize our Chief Engineer now that she's no longer
acting
as a practice  target.  Lieutenant Haegul has a suggestion to help a fellow
crew member  but she's a bit reluctant for certain reasons," he began.  "We'd
like to  talk to you and see what you think on the matter."

"Come into my office and we'll talk." Once they were inside and  settled into
seats, Rachelle continued with a somewhat confused expression. "All  right,
you want to help someone, but you're reluctant. How can I help you  decide?"

"I think," Erelen began, "I can  help Ensign Garrity," she said quietly.  She
pulled another PADD out  of her pocket, tapped in a few commands and brought
up the same information  she had given Pas and handed it to Rachelle, as well
as erasing it from the  computer's  memory.

"There is, of course, a  risk to Erelen here but I explained to her that you
are quite the wise woman  when it comes  to hiding or disguising that which
needs to be hidden and  disguised," Pas said as she did that.

"Mr. Kaartaren, flattery will get you......... well, it  never hurts anyway.
" Rachelle said with a grin. She took the PADD and the grin  faded. "I haven't
forgotten about the odd discrepancy I noticed when you were  here before,
Lieutenant . With all that's happened since, I just haven't had a  free moment
discuss it with you, and I preferred to keep it confidential. I  see there's
much more to this than meets the eye. Now, outline for me exactly  what you
have in mind." She set the PADD aside, having read and absorbed quite a  bit
while she spoke.

Erelen was  rather surprised (and a bit disappointed-but she wouldn't admit
that) that  the doctor had noticed the discrepancy.  No one else had.
However, she made no mention of this, settling for the matter at hand.  She
took a
deep breath and explained.  "As you've noticed... well, I don't  know the
technical terms, you do.  But my blood has some sort of  regenerative property.
 It
helps with the healing process.  It's  been tried on several humanoids, and
no one has had an adverse reaction to it,"  she shrugged.  "It can help our
friend over there," Erelen said, nodding in  the direction of Josh's bed.  "He
keeps presenting you with all sorts of  challenges, and somehow you have been
keeping him alive.  There aren't many  doctors who could have.  But I get the
feeling he could use all  the help he can get."

"So that's what those  readings meant. I knew what was on the screen was
unusual, but as I said, things  have a way of piling up here. I tend to look
for
things other doctors treat as  glitches when I examine patients. Sometimes they
are just that and other  times......." Her voice trailed off as she thought.
Josh could certainly use all  the help he could get,  but she needed more
information before making a  decision.

"Tell me just how this  works."

"I don't know just how it  works medically...  I only saw the practical uses;
I didn't exactly  get all the information while any tests were being done.
Basically,  you just give him my blood like you would anybody else's, and...
well, he heals.  It helps his body regenerate, if I'm using the  right word.
I'm just an engineer," Erelen added with a shrug.   "I've seen it happen.  It's
probably why I seem to be about twenty earth  years while I'm... well,  not."

Rachelle frowned. "Just give him your blood?" She shook her head.  "I'm
afraid I don't feel comfortable doing that until I do a few tests first.
Josh's
biochemistry is unlike anyone's I've ever seen. What might work on others
doesn't necessarily work the same way where he is concerned. I'm not saying
no,"
she hurried on as she caught sight of her face. "I just want to be sure this
won't do any more damage, maybe something I can't undo this time."

Pas, who had been  waiting quietly, finally spoke up.  "Erelen, believe me
when I say Dr.  Michaels will take this seriously and, as I said before,
confidentially but we  as physicians have the rule of 'first do no harm'.  I
would
trust he tests  long before I'd trust the tests of those people who would harm
you."

Her expression cleared as Rachelle  explained.  "Test away.  Just please...
destroy the evidence when  you're done.  I'm not too worried about him reacting
badly.  I know he's not quite as human as he  looks, but I seem to be able to
cross my blood with not only a human, but a  Vulcan, Trill, and a Cardassian.
 I'm not sure what else has been  tested."

"I'll do the testing myself and there will be  no records kept except in my
own head. I just want to reassure myself since  there's a little breathing room
so to speak since Josh's condition, while still serious, is no longer
life-threatening."  Rachelle explained.

Erelen nodded.  "I understand.  What do you need?" she  replied simply.

"A sample of  your blood should do it." Rachelle picked up a hypo and after
Erelen's nod it  hissed against her skin. "I'll get started on this right away
and contact you as  soon as I'm sure one way or another if it will work."

"All right," Erelen  replied.  "Let me know if you need anything else," she
added.