<USS Eagle> What's Plaguing the Montave Part 2

  • From: JM <alleymarziacat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

What's Plaguing the Montave Part 2  JL: Dr. Compton, Cmdr Marqusa and Commodore
Fyrstk as Ambassador Antov and Montave Native
ON
“....You have to trust me. The boy is very sick." Daisy beseeched the older
Montave man.
He stood outside the shuttlecraft with the sick boy clinging weakly to his
back. The native seemed unsure he could trust the rest of the away team and
hesitant to enter the unfamiliar enclosure. The other members of the away team
had cautiously offered to let him vet them telepathically but Daisy knew time
was of the essence, the boy's systems were failing and if she didn't stabilize
the youth immediately he might slip beyond helping in a few short minutes.

"Please, I need to give him medicine." She held up a hypospray loaded with
10ccs of polyadrenaline, Daisy was fairly certain the Montave physiology was
similar enough to human for the stimulant to provide the boost the young man
needed to hang on until she could get an idea what was making him sick.

"It will make a strange noise, but it won't hurt." She saw the boy's eyes
growing more and more distant and knew she didn't have any more time for
explanations. Daisy sprang to the pair and pressed the hypospray into the boy's
upper arm.

The next events happened so quickly, no one had a chance to even comprehend
them. The older Montave male, was startled by the hiss of the hypo-spray. He
instinctively brought his arm up to knock Dr. Compton away from his younger
sibling. Ensign Banning saw the arm coming up. He quickly jumped in between the
Montave natives and Dr. Compton, and took the full impact of the man's arm. The
force was so strong, a crack was heard as the man's arm came in contact with
Banning's chest, and sent the ensign flying backwards.

“NO!” Daisy cried covering her mouth with her hand in horror as she saw Banning
fly up and land, unconscious, almost two meters away. The doctor's eyes darted
from the fallen Ensign back to the Montave momentarily then she quickly
sprinted to Banning's side and dropped to a knee beside him. Shaking her head
slowly she adjusted the tricorder for standard human physiology. A sharp intake
of breath accompanied her review of the readings. Daisy looked up at the XO.

The Montave ignored the Starfleet officers. He quickly moved about five meters
down the path away from the shuttle and pulled the boy from his back with is
tail. He gently laid the younger male on the ground, and knelt down beside him.
The boy was almost unconscious. It was then the older Montave noticed that the
lad's breathing seemed to be evening out.

“Banning is just stunned Commander but the blow did cause a fractured sternum.”
As she spoke she turned back to her patient and extracted another hypospray
from her medikit. “Thankfully, it didn't do any damage to his heart or the
nearby muscular tissue.” She injected Banning and then ran the tricorder over
the his still form. “When he wakes up he's going to be in considerable pain and
if he moves around too much he could exacerbate the injury. I've given him
15ccs of hydrocortilene, it should be enough keep him sedated for a couple of
hours. It would be best if we can move him back into the shuttle and make him
as comfortable as possible until I can get him to sickbay and use the
osteo-regenerator to repair the bone.”

Gwen nodded. "Vanik. Grab the anti-grav stretcher. Get Banning back into the
Falcon, make sure he's comfortable in the aft compartment." She looked to
Daisy. "Doc, let's be a bit more careful, so we don't tick him off anymore.
Ambassador, can you see if the native will still show some trust?"
Daisy gulped at Commander Marqusa's admonition. The XO was right, it was her
fault that Ensign Banning had been injured and Daisy felt awful about it. Thank
God he's going to be okay. She thought, gazing upward briefly. The doctor
assisted Ensign Banning's transfer to the stretcher and took one last scan with
her tricorder. Only when she was satisfied that his vital signs remained strong
and he resting well under the influence of the hydrocortilene, did she feel
safe allowing Vanik take him to the shuttlecraft.

Antov looked down the path to the Montave male, then back to the Starfleet
officers. "I believe there is some trust, still here, Commander. He hasn't
taken off..."

The ambassador's comment was cut off, as he caught sight of the Montave male
slowly making his way back. The boy was now cradled in his arms. The older male
was looking directly at Dr. Compton as he approached. The boy definitely looked
as if he were sleeping peacefully, now.

Daisy saw the Montave man heading her way holding the youth. She bowed her head
slightly for a second then looked in his eyes. “I'm sorry to have frightened
you. May I examine him with my tricorder again?” She waited for his approval
this time and when he nodded in affirmation she stepped forward and scanned.
Daisy reviewed the findings, made an adjustment and scanned again. She smiled.

“The boy is not in any immediate danger of dying now but I want you to
understand that the medicine I gave him before is not a cure for the sickness,
it simply strengthened his body temporarily to that it can fight harder.” She
paused.

"I can feel the good your medicine has already done him," the Montave said
gratefully.

“Good. It would help me if you can bring him inside the shuttlec...shelter....
He will be more comfortable and we can make sure sure he stays strong while I
use other medical equipment to figure out what is making him ill so that I can
find a way to cure him and the rest of your people. You are welcome to stay
with him and to watch me.”

She turned to Marqusa. “The boy's temperature is down three degrees and he's
stable for now. I need to run a few tests to determine which pathogen is
responsible for the disease. Once I have isolated the cause, I hope that there
is a known cure that I can tailor to the specifics of Montave physiology.”

The native man looked, once again to the shuttle, then to Gwen, Antov and
finally to Dr. Compton. "I will bring him inside."
OFF