<USS Eagle> Conversation Number 3 (part 1 of 2)

  • From: "Gwen Marqusa" <GwenivereMarqusa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:08:21 -0500

:ON:

     Gwen stood outside the Eagle's Nest.  She was definitely going to need a drink after all of this.
     "Computer, Locate Ensign Melody."
     The computer replied in her normal, cold voice, "Ensign Melody is in her quarters."  Gwen headed off to find the AMO.
     Melody was in her quarters since her duty shift had ended. She was tidying up her room in the comfort of her homeworld's gravity and thickness of air.
     Gwen arrived at her destination and chimed the door.
     Melody was quite surprised to hear her door chime go off. No one had yet to visit her in her quarters since she had been on ship. "Come in." the sound making soft ripples in the air.
     Gwen stepped through the door, and looked around.  "Do you have a few minutes to talk Ensign Melody?"
     Melody's quarters were brightly decorated.  The furniture draped with light pastels, the bright flowers decorated the tops of tables and counters.  Melody was dressed sort of like a gypsy and her feet were not touching the floor.  The air was kind of hard to breath and the gravity was a bit less then what was normal for the ship.
     "Yes Ma'am.  Please, have a seat and let me adjust the environmental controls so you can be more comfortable."  She made a humming sound that propelled her across the room towards the control panel.
     Gwen cringed at the "Ma'am."  She really disliked that archaic form of address.  "Please, don't use 'Ma'am' . . . Starfleet standard protocol is to use 'Sir' regardless of gender.  If we are off duty, you can call me Gwen.
     "But, I am here on official business.  I randomly read over duty logs.  And, your last duty log concerns me a little."
     Melody adjusted the air quality so it was easier for Gwen to breath. "I'm sorry, Gwen.  It was habit." Melody walked back over to where Gwen was.  "I hope I am getting better at writing them.  The duty logs that is. I'm not very good at writing reports. Now if it's a song you want, that I have not problems with." Melody sat down on the couch and looked up at Gwen.
     "But I guess because you are here to talk about them I messed up again."
     "It's not your writing of logs that concerns me, but rather the content in your last log.
     "There were a couple of things that are relatively minor, and one thing that is major.
     "First, the minor things.
     "One, the CMO is not required to be in sickbay when she is on duty.  Unless there is an emergency.  She also does not need to tell any of her staff where she is going.  It would be nice, but not required.  That's what the computer is for.  All you have to do is ask the computer for the location.
     "Does that make sense?"
     Melody nodded. " But doesn't the CMO have to at least check in at the beginning of her duty shift?  I guess my problem is that she is gone from sickbay for weeks without anyone seeing her or hearing anything from her.  I know she isn't required to stay in sickbay. And you are right I guess. It would be nice if we knew where she was when she wasn't in sickbay. And it's my fault for forgetting the computer's location program."
     "I have talked with both Ratch and Lt. Muerta.  Ratch doesn't stay away for weeks.  Muerta usually knows where the CMO is.  If you have any problems in sickbay, you can go and talk to her about them.  She ran sickbay for a few months, when the former CMO disappeared and we couldn't get back to find a replacement.
     "The fact that Ratch feels she doesn't have to be in sickbay, means she feels that things are being taken care of while she's gone.  She obviously thinks you are capable of handling any situations that arise."
     Melody shrugged "I guess it just seemed like weeks. But as far as what Ratch thinks about me. I don't think she feels that was. I mean she got angry at me a couple of times for having sickbay ready to receive wounded during alerts. She said I should have waited for orders. I don't know. Every time I am around her I feel like I'm screwing things up."
     "I know there is some troubles between the two of you.  I'm not sure what it is.  I think the two of you need to sit down and talk things out with a mediator.  Both Lt. Haas, and myself will be more then willing to act as a mediator."
     "She not normal for a Vulcan. At least not from what they taught us about Vulcans at the Academy.  Of course my problem just might be I need to grow up. I'm not sure you know, but you probably do, Starfleet made a big exception by allowing me to calculate my age in Earth years. My by worlds standards I would just be coming of age to join the academy. I guess my true age is showing."
     Melody lowered her eyes from Gwen. "I just don't want to be a disappointment but, like I told Mal, I just seem to be getting things wrong."
     "I have been informed.  And you're right, Ratch isn't like an ordinary Vulcan.   She wasn't raised on Vulcan.  She was raised by humans in a not so Vulcan way.
     "We will work around with your age.  It may be wise to give you a mentor.  Someone you can talk to and bounce ideas off of.
     "I know that Ratch wouldn't be suitable.  And, while I know you like Mal, he wouldn't be acceptable either.  What about Muerta?"
     Melody looked back up at Gwen. " I guess I could talk to her. Any other minor things I need to know about before I learn what I really screwed up?
     "If you don't feel comfortable talking to her, is there someone else that you would feel comfortable with?"
     "Its not that I don't feel comfortable talking to her its just she was the one who informed me that my relationship with Malachi was inappropriate." Melody stumbled over the word as if it was one she really didn't have in her vocabulary.

:TBA:

Lt. Cmdr. Gwen Marqusa
AXO/CSec/Tac
USS Eagle