[ussbansheec] Thinking Forward

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:37:13 -0500

_Thinking Forward
_by Gillian & Shaylah Kaelyre and Ikelaeli Kaleohano

The elder of the two young women watched with arms crossed and a sour look as the younger finished dressing. Shaylah had talked herself blue but her younger sister just wasn't hearing it. She wished their mothers were here, then Gillian would listen, or not. She sighed. Their mothers never forced their beliefs on them and would be all for Gillian following her heart. Problem was that Gillian was simply to much of a damned free spirit. "Gilli-bean, you can't really be serious about this.. this man."

The term for Izzy's gender stuck in her sister's throat like a sour lemon and it made Gillian frown. "Asarrah wouldn't be happy with you being so sexist, Shay."

It was the truth which caused Shaylah to blush just as much as her frustration. "Gillian, you're going to be a la..."

"Lady of Delso," she finished for her sister. It was a tune she'd heard a thousand times. "Asarrah never put much stock in that title and I don't either. I really like Izzy, Shay, I more than like." She stopped putting her earrings in and looked at her sister through the mirror on her vanity. "I'm in love with him. Deal with it."

Shaylah looked at her sister for a long time before finally sighing. She could see it deep in the younger woman's eyes, she truly did love this man.

Iz was in a fairly upbeat mood. No sense, he'd told his mother, in getting keyed up just because he was going to see Gillian and her family. Alright so he wasn't too very fond of her sister for getting him in trouble with the brass and the magistrate but he could get by that. She was worth it. Even the fact that it seemed to be clouding during the ferry ride over didn't bother him much. In fact, he was almost whistling as he approached the home.

It was the huge hound's beating tail that told Mrs. Ferguson that someone was coming so she was nearly at the door when the bell rang. The old woman had a bright smile on as she greeted her young charge's young man. "Welcome back, lad. Come in, the lass is still up stairs with her sister."

"Thank you kindly, ma'am," Iz said with a smile that completely belied his pointed ears. he held out a hand for the dog to sniff. "Hey, bruh, how are ya, pal? Glad you haven't taken a taste for kaneka cop yet."

The huge snow white wolfhound sniffed the offered hand and then barked loudly as his tail began to wag, which made a loud thumping sound as it beat the floor.

Gillian smiled at the dog's bark, got up from her vanity, and stared right at her sister. "Be nice, Shay, or I swear I'll kick your ass."

"Fine, I'll play nice", the older woman huffed. "As long as he does."

"Alright, bud," Iz said as he knelt to the dog's eye level. "But no shedding, 'kay? It'd be an awful mess, eh?"

"They don't shed as badly as you'd think," Gillian said as she came down the stairs. "It's the wee beasties as Nana Kathyn calls them, that you gotta watch out for."

"Y'never know," Iz said with an amused sniff as he stood up. "Never had a dog when I was a kid...just a monkey." He approached her then put his arms around her for a hug. "How are ya, nani?"

"Better now," she said into his neck as she held him close. Gods he smelled good. Stepping back a little so she could see his face she smiled brightly, "You had a monkey?"

"Sorta,"he said with a grin. "Old Poki was my mom's and I swear he thought he was another kid. I used to take 'im t'school just t'annoy the teachers."

Gillian laughed, "I did that! Only it was Mama's tribble. The Klingon kid use to freak."

"Not so sure I'd've done that," Iz said with a snort. "Bad enough my tutu kane took me to task for it every time. Think he had to though even he was laughing about it. Grampa was as bad me that way."

"Mama didn't approve of Gillian taking Jim to school either," Shay said lightly. "The fur ball I think enjoyed it."

"The tribble's name was Jim?" Iz laughed brightly. "Now that's funny! Are you a trouble maker, Gillian? Because of the four of us cousins who're closest in age, I'm the kid who was always gettin' scolded an' having my mom or grandparents brought up."

"She named it after Captain Kirk," Shay explained as she waved her hand towards the sitting room. "Our mother has a very strange sense of humor."

Gillian laughed, "She can also be overly cute. The only reason I don't have a traditional Delsoian name is because she simply had to have the name Gillian so she could call me Gilli-bean. And yes, I was the trouble maker. Shay's the uptight oldest, Annie's the laid back but head on straight type, Lilah's the youngest, and I'm the opinionated trouble maker."

Iz automatically went into what he thought of as his work mode. The last time he'd seen the woman, the one who had gotten him in so much trouble, was when he arrested Gillian and he hadn't quite gotten over it. "So does mine but I'm not cute by any stretch of imagination," he said neutrally.

Gillian smiled as she took his hand and lead him to the couch so they could sit beside each other. "Sure you are, you're very cute, even cuter when your playing Andy Griffith."

"God my uncle's gonna laugh when he hears that," Iz snickered. He was tense as hell now but that made it better. "There's a whole wall of 2D stills of famous cops at the station an' he's right up there. Don't think you got t'see that part."

"Nope, to busy being arrested for being reckless," Gillian smirked. "Cop was a real Mayberry."

"Call me Fife then," he chuckled. "Or Friday. I have a habit, it seems, of being literal."

"But Andy was cuter then Barney," Gillian laughed.

"Gillian," he said softly, "why do I have the feeling that your sister is burning holes through me? What'd I do other'n arrest you?"

Looking over at where her sister was standing Gillian frowned, ~Will you stop hovering!~ "You haven't done anything, Izzy. Her issues, not your's."

~I am not hovering,~ Shay huffed. ~I'm simply standing in the sitting room of my home.~

~You moved out.~ Gillian retorted.

~I may no longer live here but it's still my home~ the older woman replied. ~Now who would Asarrah and Mama be displeased with?~

~Cow~

"Something tells me I oughtta leave," Iz said as he made to get up. "I ain't got the psi talent like my cousins but this is like when Anela's uncle argues with his mother."

Gillian reached out and grabbed his hand as she stood, "No, you stay. If Shaylah has problems she can leave. I'm afraid my sister's being a bit of a bigot."

"Bigot?" he asked carefully, turning dark eyes onto the older woman. "You got a problem with Vulcans or just us natives?"

"Men," Gillian answered for her sister. "On Delso men are still mainly used for breeding and heterosexual couples are still looked down upon by the upper class."

Iz's first instinct was to laugh, even as his face flushed slightly emerald under his tan. "Oh yeah? Don't be lookin' down on your sister because of me. That's not right and then don't be lookin' down on me come t'think of it. You're livin' on the Hawaiian islands, lady, where things're different."

"Actually," Shay said in her best diplomatic voice. "I live on Delso or near the Federation Assembly. Gillian and I aren't even Federation citizens, Delso isn't a Federation planet, and we were both born on Delso."

"We have dual citizenship because Mama's a Federation citizen by birth and Asarrah became one when she joined Starfleet," Gillian corrected. Taking Iz's hand she started pulling him towards the door. "Lets go down to the beach, it's private, part of my mothers' property."

Iz grumbled something in Hawaiian under his breath that, if his mother were present, would have earned him a glare if not a smack in the back of his head as well. "Last I looked I wasn't a prize breeding animal," he snorted.

Gillian looked him up and down then smiled wickedly, "Looks wise you'd be good as gold, work in the law is respected so that would be ok, but no worries. You're Human and Vulcan, breeding males can only be Delsoian, and only the top ten percent get to be that."

"Alright I get that but..." Iz ran a hand through his hair, his eyes narrowing in thought. "Your sister thinks I'm an idiot."

"No," Gillian replied as she lead them out the back and down the path to the beach. "She just thinks you're a man, it's nothing personal." Then she bit her lip a moment before explaining. "My Asarrah's homeworld, it's a female dominant culture where homosexuality is the social norm. Shay takes our family standing way to serious and, in her own warped way, she's just worried about how I'd be treated."

He took her hand as they walked. "And I could understand that. I haven't got sibs but I have cousins an' it works the same. I'd have to kill somebody who didn't make them above all else. All of us're hyper protective of Netha. Good thing for him that her man's a good one." Dark eyes settled on Gillian a moment. "But she thinks I'm bringing you
down."

Once they were on the beach she stopped and turned to look at him, "She's a snob. I love my sister, don't get my wrong, but she's a snob and I have no idea where it comes from. My Asarrah is so not like that, she walked away from that world and its titles so she could follow her own dream."

"Yeah and what d'you think she'd say? You already know my mom likes you. Hell I think she likes you more'n me." Iz chuckled. "I know Andy'll like you, too."

"My Asarrah married an off worlder, a hybrid alien, she over any one will be supportive." She smiled as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I think both of my mothers will like you, my sister too. Shay doesn't count, she doesn't like me either."

"Why not?" he asked after a quick kiss. "Don't tell me it's because you like me and not a woman because that's too much like Netha's ke tutu not talkin' to her dad and Cha Lish."

Gillian laughed, "No, we've just always butted heads. She tried to tried to trade me for a puppy and I threw all of her toys in the pool."

"So she in't going t'stop talkin' t'you like Cha Lish's mom did when he first left Andor?" he asked in all seriousness. "They obviously talk now but Seren's mother still won't and it was ten years for Lish."

She shook her head when sent her mass of red hair dancing over pale shoulders. "Na, she'd never stop talking to me. It's like my godmother Rhi says, we might not like each other from time to time, but we always love each other."

"Good," he said simply but then he sighed. "It's not right though, Gillian. I'm a cop so I know not everybody likes me but I really don't think I've ever had anyone hate me before I even opened my mouth. It pisses me off."

"She'll get over it," She kissed him softly and smiled. "She won't be able not to."

"I..." He dropped to the sand, disregarding the fact that it would probably ruin his pants, then held out his hand to her in invitation. "What happens to kids from those couples?"

She gladly took his hand and let him pull her down to the sand. "The kids from what couples? Breeding males? They're raised by the couple who contacted the male for his product."

He barely held back a shiver. It sounded so cold to him. "Ah, no, I meant in the het couples or are they not allowed to?"

"They're allowed, they get to keep and raise their own children," she explained as she slipped of her sandals so she could bury her toes in the warm sand. "There's been a lot of progress with the hets and lower classes since Asarrah left, it's the upper class that's slow to change. Sons are still sent off to boarding schools while daughters are kept at home. Well, sons that are chosen to be breeding males go to the schools, if they aren't picked then their apprenticed to the male couples who hand trades and craftsmanships and such."

He put his arm around her but he just couldn't speak. The enormity of what she was saying kept him silent and, he didn't give a damn if it was illogical, he was fairly sure it was breaking his heart, even if just a little. "That's..." Then he really did shiver, despite the warm sea breeze. "Gillian, that is so cold."

"I guess so, it's simply normal on Delos. It's how my Asarrah and her brother and sister were born, but it's also part of the reason why my uncle left." she replied as she leaned against his warmth. "He wanted more out of life then he could have gotten on Delos."

"I couldn't do that if I had a kid," he said quietly.  "I really couldn't."

She shook her head, "Me either, nor my mothers but they didn't really have to worry about having a son. They chose to combine their genetics which only allowed for girls babies, no Y to add to the mix."

Iz just hmmphed softly. "Don't mind me. I'm just day dreaming an' that all just woke me up."

"Day dreaming about what?" she asked with a smile, hoping to get away from the cultural lesson of her Asarrah's homeworld.

"Ah, it doesn't matter," he said with a soft snort.

She shifted so she was sitting on his lap, her arms around his neck, her smile bright and playful. "Tell me."

He wrapped his arms around her but the warmth did nothing to lighten his mood. He rested his chin on top of her head. "Gillian, up until lately, I had no idea why my mother was never married and I was okay with that. She'd no different from any other mother otherwise. Hell, if we never got married it wouldn't matter to me because I'd always love you but..." He sighed again. "I can't do that to any kid, Gill. Male or female it doesn't matter. God I still think part of the reason T'Liante left was because she thought Sorrean had his son now--which he still doesn't."

"I'm proud of my heritages, Iz, all of them but that doesn't mean I'm going to follow every last cultural quirk." She replied as she snuggled against him. "A wedding is a nice show if you live through it, you should ask my mothers about their's it was nearly a nightmare, but that's all it really is is a show. I don't think my mothers could or would love each other any less if they weren't married, so I don't see a desperate need for it. What matters is loving each other and if theirs kids involved, being good parents."

He was quiet for a good long while, simply sitting there with his gaze on the ocean. "One day, Gillian, one day. What do you think?"

"I think a little boy with your complexion, ears, and eyes and my hair would be the most beautiful little boy in all the world," she replied as she closed her eyes and sighed dreamily.

"Huh," he chuckled softly before reaching to gently tug a curled lock. "Curls and my complexion'd be a killer."

Turning so she could look at him she turned a bit more serious as she looked into his eyes. "He'd be loved too, Iz. My mothers, my grandmothers, they wouldn't look down on him for being a boy. They'd love him to bits."

"But if he were on their home world..."  Iz shook his head.

"He'd be safe, we have one of the larger estates. He'd be welcome too, as far as the family went, he wouldn't have a title though," she answered.

"And I'd never see him and screw titles anyway," Iz said with a snort. "Only people around here are Anela and his great-uncle. I just couldn't be hands off, though. I'm not like that."

Gillian smiled softly, "I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Iz. I'd never do that to you."