[ussbansheec] The Prince and the Butterfly

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mutantx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:58:00 -0500

_The Prince and the Butterfly
_by Magni Asgardson and Maria Wagner

Despite the wonders and beauty of Asgard, even a god could become bored, especially when that god was an intelligent, active child. Fortunately for that particular child god, there was never a lack of people who minded keeping young Prince Magni occupied. His most frequent babysitters were, aside from his grandmother, were the Warriors Three. They, along with his father and grandfather, taught the young god prince most of his fighting skills. It was a skill learned from the Warriors Three that Magni was engaged in when his visitor arrived. Nimble fingers cut and bent impossibly thin pieces of metal into rings, attaching successive rings to the prior ones until a sheet was formed. When the sheet was large enough, Magni would drape it over a form, shaped at his size, to be made into chain mail and making chain mail, like any other art, took time and patience, both of which he had in abundance.

When the knock came at the front door of his house, he put down he wire cutters and picked up a short sword. He wasn't expecting any visitors and no one should have been able to find the place to begin with. Well, he thought with some amusement as he opened the door, except for one of them.

"Oh!" Maria said with a gasp and a step backward. Eyeing the sword, she added. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"You didn't, Maria," Magni chuckled, lowering the sword. "I just wasn't expecting anyone. Come in and tell me to what I owe the pleasure of your company."

Maria beamed up at him. He was always so warm and pleasant to her, to her entire family. "Would you be terribly offended if I told you that Vati said I should check up on you?" she asked with an impish smile as she was ushered in.

"Maria, I love the man like a brother but he worries too much. He always has. Come in, though, and make yourself to home. I was just working on a new set of chain mail," he told her with a casual wave toward the rest of the house. "I have something for you," she said, holding up the bag she held in her right hand, "but it can wait. Would you mind if I watched? I've never seen anyone make that stuff. I didn't know anyone still did."

Broad shoulders shrugged. "It's an art I learned long ago but, if it isn't going to bore you, sure---why not? I'm a bit surprised that something with such a martial use would interest you, though."

"It's a craft like any other," she said serenely. "I may not appreciate the use but the artistry I can."

Magni's workshop, like the rest of the house, was rather neat and clean though every flat surface was covered with metal or tools, leaving no place for a guest to sit. "Just give me a minute, Maria," Magi said as he began moving things about. A four-legged stool was finally cleared but that created another problem, the solution to which made mischief twinkle in his eyes. The stool was obviously made for someone his size and he dwarfed Maria by more than a foot in height. Large, muscular hands simply settled at her waist then lifted her as if she weighed nothing, setting her on the stool gently. "There you go."

Maria giggled at being lifted so easily, fighting back the thought that, in a quick moment of closeness, Magni smelled very nice. "Thanks, I forget how strong you are."

"God of strength," he said with a theatrical bow before turning back to his metal work. "You may be substantial of heart but certainly not of weight."

She watched quietly, tucking her ankles around the stool legs. She had known him all her life but she'd never seen this side of him---the meticulous craftsman. The look in his eyes was not the same as when he was the Starfleet captain or experienced warrior. The sky blue eyes were focused on the deceptively delicate metal, the bright auburn brows furrowed in a different type of concentration. "No magic?" she asked softly.

Magni hmmphed softly. "No, not until it's done," he told her, turning to look at her over his shoulder. "I learned a long time ago that magic is not the answer to everything. As much as I trust my skill at magic, I also trust my skill at this craft. Between them both, this set of chain mail will be quite formidable."

He turned back to his work though he did watch her occasionally from the corner of his eye. She was a sweet woman, a very pretty one, too. That doctor better be treating her right, he told himself. She's a treasure and he's a lucky man. "The thought of magic doesn't bother you?" he asked eventually.

"No," came the simple answer. "It's part of who you are and I would never expect you to be less of who you are."

"You, Maria," he said as he put down the clamp in his hand and grinned at her, "are an absolute doll. Thank you. For that, I owe my lovely visitor my complete attention, which I should have been giving you the entire time."

"Don't be silly," Maria chided, though silliness was not something she'd ever seen in him. "I came to visit you and I have been enjoying your company."

"You're also very diplomatic," he said as he offered a hand to help her down from her perch.

He led her into the main part of the house, which, while not as ornate as his home in Asgard had been, had much more personality than his Starfleet quarters ever had. He dropped unceremoniously onto the sofa, groaning as he stretched his arms over his head. "I don't think I should have been bent over that long," he declared as he rested his head on the back of the sofa.

"Tsk tsk, Magni," Maria tutted primly. "Don't they teach proper kinesics in Starfleet?"

Magni looked over at the blue haired woman, a smirk on his face. "To hell with Starfleet," he snorted. "And they do, by the way, but I got too engrossed in what I was doing. I do know you aren't supposed to maintain a position that long or engage in repetitive motions but..." He shrugged. "The process requires exacting attention."

Maria knelt on the sofa next to him and shook her head. "You don't have to explain, Magni," she said with a smile. "Vati and Grandpapa do the same when they work on the trapeze."

Magni obediently did as she requested though he doubted she could do anything but he didn't want to hurt her feelings by refusing. He felt her hands settle on his shoulders where they began to knead the thick muscles. To his surprise, those small hands were rather stronger than he thought and the knots there began to unravel.
"Better?" she asked as he gave a contented groan.

"Much. I'm going to have t o thank Vanir and his dad for overdoing so often," he chuckled, unconsciously leaning into her touch, eyes closed. He opened his eyes, realizing how comfortable it was to be leaning on a beautiful woman, and found himself looking into eyes almost as blue as his own and at a sweet smile. Quite by reflex, he lifted his head slightly and kissed her.

For a heartbeat, Maria was startled but then she felt the firm mouth on hers and the whiskers of his beard. They weren't as wiry as she thought they would be. After that beat, she realized he was a very good kisser. She found herself returning the kiss, albeit a little stronger than it had originally been given. She was lifted by the waist and shifted to his lap, where Magni put his arms around her. One of his hands reached to cup her chin, his eyes bright flames. Slowly, she nodded, knowing he would have stopped if she'd hesitated for even a second. He kissed her deeply, his tongue dancing with hers. As she pressed closer to him, his hand caressed the outline of her breast. Now she wasn't his friend's daughter, a girl he'd held as an infant. Now she was a beautiful and desirable woman, one with soft curves and pretty blue hair, one who was returning his advances, subtly stroking his growing erection as he squeezed her breast. He wanted her.

He was much stronger than her and he had to hold back his full strength but it hadn't diminished the closeness, the utter joy and, he admitted to himself, the relief at having sex, for the first time in years, with a woman he actually cared about. Later, she lay snuggled against his side, her blue hair fanned across his chest as her fingers played with the fine red hairs there. His hand stroked her head and shoulders.

"Are you okay, Maria?" he asked softly.  "Did I hurt you?"

Maria peered up at him and saw the genuine concern in his eyes. "No, you didn't, Magni." A slow blush touched her cheeks. "It was wonderful."

"Good," he said before kissing her forehead. "You know, if your father ever finds out about this, he'll do his damndest to kill me."

"I'm certainly not going to tell him. This is our business and no one else's," she told him. "Will you be upset if I say I care about you but I don't love you, not like..."

He picked up the fingers that had been tracing the outline of his beard, kissing them before he spoke. "I know, Maria," he said. "I have no preconceptions, no illusions. I'm a man and you are a beautiful woman. Are you sorry, though? This was probably a sin of some sort for you."

"That is between me and God and I am do not regret this at all."

"Good." He cupped her chin in strong fingers then, smiling gently. "Then listen to me, Maria, and forgive me if it sounds crude but you are always welcomed here, to share your company or even just to make love this way. No strings: just a beautiful, wonderful lady who happens to be my friend."

Maria nodded. She didn't know if it would happen again but Magni was a good man. He was her friend. She hugged him tightly. "Friends, Magni. We will always be friends."

--
`Onipa`a (Stand firm.)--Motto of Queen Lili`uokalani.