[ussbansheec] "Slaying the Dragon"

  • From: Elizabeth Bethell <ejbethell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:43:06 +0100

 Slaying the Dragon

*Evelyn Hale with Victoria McEntire and Siobhan Hoover*

It was the last one she had. Evelyn had broken or dropped or purposefully
smashed all the others of her great-grandmother's crystal glasses. Wrapped
in a big fluffy towel, Evy held it as if it was the most precious thing in
the universe. Ringing Victoria's bell, she shifted from foot to foot
nervously. The Cap was still over on the Avalon and so she'd made the
executive decision to keep her cousin company for a while.

"Evelyn," Victoria said happily. "Come in." Peering curiously at the towel,
she ushered her cousin to the couch. "Can I get you something?"

"Err... no, thanks." Smiling shyly, she offered Victoria the towel. "The Cap
told me what that *bitch* did to your Grandma's crystal so I thought you'd
like this. I doubt it'll match all that well but they'll look the same
kinda."

Victoria raised her eyebrows and took the towel without comment. When she
unwrapped it, she gasped. "Oh Evy, it's gorgeous, I can't accept this."

"Why not? It's the only one I got left and you'll care of it a whole lot
better'n me, so keep it. Call it an engagement present," Evy smirked. Her
eyes were dancing when Victoria shot her a shocked look. "Hey, the man's
happy, course he's gonna spread the cheer. And you know what?" When Victoria
just shook her head, Evy wrapped her arms around her and gave her a huge
hug. "I'm happy for you, cousin, he's a good man. Bit of a prude," she
giggled. "But then so're you, so it kinda fits."

Returning the hug, Victoria found herself sighing. "He's gone over there,
hasn't he?"

Squeezing the little woman tightly, Evelyn nodded. "He told me to tell you
he'd be back soon. I think he intends making mad passionate love to ya all
night." When Victoria drew back and have her an embarrassed glare, Evy just
laughed loudly. "Already done that, huh? Any good is he?"

Victoria blushed brighter as she stepped away from her cousin. Her eyes
danced though as she said, "That would be none of your business." A tiny,
satisfied, almost smug smile danced over her face as she set the glass on
the table.

"Damn, he *is* good to have put that dappy grin on your face." Letting out a
low whistle, Evy slumped down onto the couch. "I gotta find me a man."

"Uh-huh, no kidding. Someone with a clean mouth and higher standards than
you, I hope." Pouring two glasses of red wine, she sat next to Evy and
offered her one.

"Nah, pretty much any man will do. Though... the Cap's not my type, even
before he got with you." Sipping the wine, Evy sighed lightly. "It's gonna
be a great wedding with doves and swans and pretty flowers just like we used
to make-believe when we were little."

Giggling like a little girl, Victoria nodded. "Although, it's kind of a bit
too late to be going for white."

"So go for cream, it'd suit you better anyway." Evy put an arm around her
cousin's shoulders. "I'm so very happy for you, sweetness, you have no
idea."

They chatted for a couple of hours, Evelyn staying longer than she'd
intended and drinking more than she'd meant, but Victoria needed the company
while the Cap was gone. Her head only slightly fuzzy, Evy sauntered away
from the CMO's cabin. Instead of heading home like she'd told Victoria she
would, she wandered officer country for a bit, finally coming to a stop in
front of one door in particular. "Right you little bitch, it's time we had a
chat."

At the sound of the chime, Siobhan frowned. No one ever called round, they
all knew her time at home was just for her. Except maybe... "Andy," she
whispered with awed satisfaction. She knew he wouldn't be able to hold out
when a real woman was up for grabs. "Come in," she called cheerfully.

A predator's grin on her face, Evelyn stepped inside. "Don't mind if I do."

"Who are you?" Siobhan blinked at her.

"First Leiutenant Evelyn Hale, though for this visit, you can just call me
Hale coz this ain't official. It's about my cousin."

"Your cousin? Do I know him?"

Evy smirked as she rolled up to the sofa and dropped herself next to the
brunette. "I got lots of cousins on this ship, but the one I'm talking about
in particular happens to be the CMO."

A snarl curled up Siobhan's lip. "And now you're here to warn me off her
little man, are you?"

"No, I'm here to demonstrate what happens to spiteful little bitches who
pick on my family." Her hand shot out and grabbed Siobhan by the hair.
Yanking hard, she pulled the woman very close to her face. "How much do you
like your hair, bitch?"

"Wh-what?" Siobhan stammered. Her hands wrapped themselves around Evy's
wrist but no matter how hard she dug her nails in, the Marine wouldn't let
her go.

Evy yanked again and then pulled her close to her mouth, her eyes burning
blue fire. "You think you're so fine with your soft hair and pretty make-up
and silly nail-polish but d'you know what? You're just a doll, an inanimate
object that isn't worth the time of day. But when I was young, I liked
playing with dolls. Would you like to know what I did to them?"

Blinking back tears of both panic and pain, Siobhan let out a gasp.

"I used to take all their clothes off, hack off their hair and throw them
out in the back yard." It was an exaggeration. In fact, Evy had always
treasured her dolls but once, when her brother had pulled the legs off her
most favourite, instead of letting her mother fix it, she'd done just that:
taken a pair of scissors to its hair, yanked off its clothes and thrown it
outside. "If you ever, *ever* even breathe near the Cap or my cousin
Victoria again, I'll do that to you. Only it'll be out into the Mess Hall I
beam you so everyone can laugh at your skinny white ass."

When Siobhan looked deep into Evelyn's eyes, she shuddered. "Fuck, you would
too, wouldn't you?"

"In a heartbeat." Dropping the bitch like a sack, Evy stood up and dusted
herself down. "I'll see myself out. But know this, I see all, I hear all, I
know all. Don't fuck with me." Turning on her heals, she marched out.