[ussbansheec] Safe with a Big Stick

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:12:18 -0500

_Safe with a Big Stick_
by Eislin Somhelth & Elizabeth Carter Eislin

*/"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."--Theodore Roosevelt/* Bright blue eyes stared hard at the comm screen in their owners temporary quarters. Impatience was generally not in his nature but Somhelth had had enough. He couldn't find his sister and nobody was doing a damned thing about it. He was calling home but the brief amount of time it was taking to get through the multiple and arcane redundancies was getting on his nerves. "Hurry the hell up already," he growled at the screen.

The bright chime of the comm sounded through the house and Elizabeth grinned as she dropped down in front of it, but the moment she saw her son's face, her smile froze as did her blood. "Som... Baby, what's wrong?"

"I can't find Taline," he said bluntly. "And nobody on this damned station will do a damned thing. The Fleeters said she's a grown woman and that there's no evidence of foul play, even with the transporter illegally used."

Her whole body went stiff and she narrowed her eyes that were filled with fire. "How long ago did you last see her, baby?"

"Almost twenty-four hours." Somhelth mussed up his straight, jet black hair. "I tried to even tell them that the beam looked like a Cardassian one, because it looked so similar to what you told us, but all they said that Taline might have hooked up with one, especially since they are allowed access here."

Elizabeth hissed in horror, her nails digging into her own hands. "Cardassians..." Just the thought of those creatures with their hands on her little girl made her sick. "I'm coming there, Som. I'm going to give you a series of codes to call. Just tell them Le Carré, they'll know what it means and they'll find you quicker than I can. Don't leave your room unless you have to. I'm not letting those Butchers touch my son as well."

Somhelth nodded. "The only ones who even come near here are that weird white haired Romulan lady and the one who let us use these rooms." He blew out a soft breath. "Mom, I'm sorry. I should have been watching her more closely. I..."

"It's not your fault," she sighed, pressing her fingers to the screen. "If you'd been there, you'd have been taken as well. I don't think I could stand two of my babies with the Cardassians. I'm coming though. Be safe, baby."

"But you need to be careful, too," Somhelth said softly. "I don't like the idea of you charging out here and not knowing who's out to get you."

"Your mother never charges blindly," she said with a tight smile. "She sneaks skillfully."

"What's that old Human saying about also carrying a big stick? Take a really big stick, too, okay?"

"And a bigger gun," she nodded, her finger hovering over the disconnect button. "I'll send through the codes and I'll be there as quick as I can. Probably with your father and sister, knowing them. Be safe, Som."