[ussbansheec] Quad Mates

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:21:33 -0400

David didn't know who to expect as quad mates but he didn't really care. He was just reasonably glad his mother was not prone to wearing makeup like so many other women her age. /Mum's still gorgeous /and/ she didn't leave any lipstick on me/. His mother loved to tease him that he had his father's attention to detail when it came to his clothing but it still would have been embarrassing to have the other cadets catch traces of Mum's lipstick from her goodbye kiss and even worse if it had been seen by senior cadets or officer-instructors.

The first thing he noticed when he stepped into the quad's common room was a very pretty girl in a cadet's uniform. She had green eyes that were so bright that they seemed to almost glow against her fair complexion and raven black hair hung in a single braid over her shoulder.

"Hello there!" came a voice tinged with the light lilt of a Scots accent. She stood up and held a hand out to him. "Coaimhe Ecitsuj. Welcome to here, such as it is." Coaimhe loved meeting new people. They made Stories more interesting. At least, that's the way it seemed whenever they appeared in her father's Stories. He described people so well. This one, now, seemed Human and he was definitely nice to look at. "I got here first but I haven't moved in yet."

"David Lynley," he said, smiling automatically at such an obviously bright spirit. "Have we got two others coming then?"

"Oh, a Londoner!" Coaimhe remarked. She grinned up at him and up it was because he was almost as tall as her father. "So far, there's only three of us who've checked in. T'Cerys is on her way over."

David put his carryall bag down and joined her at the table. "I'm from Bromley, if you're familiar with London," he told her. Dark eyes looked at her curiously. "I do beg your pardon if I cause offense y asking, but may I ask if you're Human? You've got that lovely Scots accent but that doesn't mean much."

Coaimhe's smile, as bright as her eyes, never dimmed and her laugh was as light as her accent. "Oh, aren't you charming? You have perfectly lovely manners," she said brightly. "To answer the question, I'm half Human. My mum's Human, from Scotland obviously, and my dad's Ninitchik. They met on one of their postings but we live in Scotland now, since Ninitchik's too cold for Mum. Mum's retired but Daddy said he wasn't quite ready to just tell Stories. He teaches classes in Engineering."

"We're in common but in reverse then," David told her. "It's my dad who's retired and my mum who's teaching Engineering."

"Ah, I see you've found one of our quad mates."

Both David and Coaimhe turned at the sound of the voice . The newcomer was a tall, slender, young Vulcan woman, her hair braided in the same manner as Coaimhe's. To David's surprise, Coaimhe was smiling at her. They know each other, he realized. As good manners dictated, David stood to greet the lady.

"T'Cerys, this is one of our quad mates, David Lynley. David, this is T'Cerys Menkara."

T'Cerys didn't quite smile at him but her eyes were friendly enough as he said, "Pleased to meet you as well."

"He's another Fleet brat, T'Cerys: both parents," Coaimhe reported as the Vulcan joined them.

"I maintain that I am not a brat, Coaimhe. I do not believe my father would have tolerated one of those though Grandfather would have." T'Cerys said pertly. She looked at David and added, "Father is the Fleet rep to Vulcan now but my mother has always been a civilian."

David grinned. Obviously, she was at least partly not Vulcan and that part had a wicked sense of humor. "I do believe I'm going to like this quad."
~~~~~~~~~~
David walked into the bedroom Coaimhe and T'Cerys shared and said, "I hate the other half of this quad. Do you mind if I stay here?"

Two weeks. He'd been rooming with John 'JJ' Butler for two weeks and that was enough. He was going to kill the guy if he had to stay there any longer. There was no use in getting an ulcer by putting up with the jerk but he also knew that there was no asking for a quad transfer. He liked T'Cerys and Coaimhe and he knew that cadet adviser would say he'd have to learn to deal with all sorts of difficult people in his career so get used to it.

Without a word, T'Cerys, who'd been sitting on Coaimhe's bunk, folded her legs under her to make more room for David. He dropped back onto the bed, leaning his head against the wall. "Bloody stupid prat," he muttered. He winced at his company. "I'm sorry, ladies, that was quite rude of me but the bloke's impossible."

Coaimhe reached over to pat his shoulder. "It's alright, we understand. I suppose that if you continue being the gentleman you've been so far then there's no problem with you staying here."

"Indeed, perhaps it would put you in a better mood than you've been in," T'Cerys added. She looked around the room. "I don't know that there is enough room here, though."

"Sure there is!" Coaimhe exclaimed as she jumped to her feet. "Well, assuming David doesn't mind doing what my dad used to do when he and Mum lived on their first assignment together. Mum didn't have any furniture but a desk and chair in her quarters so Daddy had his pillows and blankets along a wall."

"Like camping out in Hyde Park," David mused. He waved his hand and said, "That's fine with me. I truly don't care so long as I'm away from that dimwitted blow hard."

"David, if it is agreeable to you, I will trade off with you upon occasion so that your back is not thrown out of alignment," T'Cerys told him.

"I can't ask that of you," David protested. "I'm the one asking the favor. You shouldn't have to do that."

"Me, too," Coaimhe piped up. She plopped down on David's other side. "We want you to stay and we don't mind sharing."

David let out a sigh of relief, a breath he didn't know he'd been holding. "Ladies, I do believe I've found myself a new place to stay."