[ussbansheec] One of the Family

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 06:02:25 -0500

_One of the Family_
by the Kaartaren family, Lady Gressa, Jaresh, Audra Sonata, Maria Wagner, Magni Asgardson, & Angelique Liliana Marquez

***takes place after 'Schmetterling' and before 'Warm Welcome'

Adonis was usually in a fairly decent mood to begin with. His one day off had been an unqualified success. If the picture in his pocket hadn't been enough proof of that, the fact that the subject of said picture was walking by his side, holding his hand, would have been. Maria's face had lit up when she heard that he was going to visit Rome. No, if he was honest, it was her entire psyche that lit up. It was as if the peace and serenity she radiated had been magnified one hundred times over. 'So close to were der Papst is' she'd said sweetly. Alright, he didn't buy into her beliefs but they made her as sweet and gentle as she was and that was all that mattered.

Now, as they approached the home that used to belong to his maternal grandfather, he squeezed her hand. "Sure you haven't changed your mind?"

"No, I haven't. As it is, Vati is wondering about you so this is fair," she replied, although she was glad she'd had time to go back to London and change into something more suitable than a sundress.

"Hey, you made it," a cheerful voice called from behind them. A young woman, remarkably similar in appearance to Adonis smiled. "Who's your friend?"

"Of course I did," he said brightly as he leaned to kiss the newcomer's cheek. "This is just the perfect end to a perfect day and this lovely lady is Maria Wagner, another butterfly aficionado. Maria, this is my sister Artemis."

"Welcome, Maria. I hope you're hungry," Artemis grinned. "I understand Jaresh has been cooking up a storm today."

"Maybe just a little," she said softly. "It was too hot to do much more than sip juice in Florida."

"Still warmer than London but I wouldn't want to stay there permanently." Adonis gave his sister a rueful smile. "It's his fault, and Dad's, you know. My last physical had the doctor making faces at me...still."

"Don't they always?" Artemis asked, ringing the doorbell.

"She's picking on me," Adonis said with a mock pout.

Maria chuckled lightly. "My brothers do worse things," she told them even as she squeezed his hand. Alright, so she was a little intimidated now. This was the first time any man had ever asked her to meet his family. "Besides, you're fine the way you are."

"Yeah, he's not bad," Artemis agreed with a wink. "Well...for a guy, anyway..."

The door opened, revealing a very tall blond man, with blue and green streaks in his long hair, pointed ears, bright emerald green eyes, fine, almost feminine features, and delicate looking wings. "HI," he greeted them merrily when he saw them there, then called loudly over his shoulder ,"THEY'RE HERE!!!!"

Maria opened her mouth to ask a question then stopped. The whole confusion as to what Adonis was, certainly NOT a mutant, didn't mean somebody else wasn't. After all this man had blue streaks in his hair just like her.

"Thanks, Jaresh," Adonis said, barely reigning in his smile. "You never know when the doorbell isn't working."

Jaresh wrapped his arms around both twins, drawing them to him in a big bear hug. "I made mu gu gai pan and pineapple cheesecake and TURNIPS!"

Adonis glanced at his sister, almost cringing as he asked, "Not in the same dish, right? Because I don't think that would be quite...edible."

"Sure it would be ,but no. I have lots of dishes. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots...." he continued as he turned and headed back into the kitchen, passing Calista on his way.

"HI, kids. Who is your friend?" she asked with a smile as she helped set the table, placing some dishes carefully while others appeared to place themselves.

Leading Maria by the hand, Adonis approached his mother then leaned to kiss her cheek. "Missed you, Mom," he said softly before straightening up. "This is Maria Wagner. We just met this morning. Maria, this is my mom."

At first Maria had ben distracted by the sight of the dishes moving about on their own It reminded her of an old 2D movie she'd watched as a child. Then she looked up. Oh dear, she's gorgeous! That was her first thought. She can't be old enough to be his mother. She offered a shy smile. "Hello, it's nice to meet you."

Calista smiled warmly. "It's a pleasure, Maria." To the twins, she said, "Audra's down stairs cleaning the basement again. You're welcomed to go down and see her, otherwise she will be up shortly, and your father should be home any minute." She almost laughed when she added, "I hope you're all terribly hungry. Jaresh had made enough food for an entire space station."

"When am I not hungry?" Adonis asked with a smirk.

"You want to meet my nanny, Maria? She's been with us for as long as I can remember. Well, her and Gressa," he added.

"If you'd like," Maria said, amused that he still referred to her as his. What a sweet man. "Gressa will be returning with your father." Calista added. "She's been helping watch him of late. He's been a bit out of hand with the sweets lately," she laughed lightly, before sobering, adding, "Don't forget to check with Audra before turning on any lights. I'm not sure she's got the portable shield on down there."

Adonis' amusement was quite clear to any telepath. His father was as bad as he was and they both knew it. "You want to hear something funny, Maria? Gressa used to be my other sister's nanny before Dad met Mom and she still thinks she has to keep an eye on Dad. Except it's really funny to see them arguing: an eighty-ish Betazoid and a much older Klingon."

"And I thought my godfather Logan was odd," Maria grinned.

"Oh,Artemis, before you go down, can you com Mika, please? I'm not sure what time she'll be here and I don't want to start without her," Calista called as she put the finishing touches on the table.

Adonis headed down the stairs, consciously leaving the lights off. Maria was about to ask why when he knocked on the side wall. "Audra? It's me. I've brought a friend I'd like you to meet."

Pas eyed the gray haired woman walking next to him. "Admit it, you missed them, too, Gressa. All three of them," Pas teased as they approached the house, his arms laden with flowers. "It is good to see that I did my job properly," the Klingon hmmphed. "You have good children, Kaartaren." She halted, her nose twitching. "The twins are here yet...there is a strange female with them. Human, smells different."

Pas tilted his head curiously, knowing better by then than to ignore Gressa's warnings. Yes, there was definitely a stranger among them. Whoever it was, his son was very happy about it. They stepped into the house and he looked around. Not seeing anyone, he found Calista and put an arm around her. "Hey, beautiful, we're back."

"Come," a quiet female voice responded on the other side of the wall after a moment. "I am here."

Maria smiled as she watched him embrace a woman who was even smaller than her. If she believed in such things, other than the movies and in books, she might have thought she was a vampire. But she did wonder if she were alien or mutant. "I'm glad you're here, Audra. This is my friend Maria Wagner." ~~Isn't she the cutest?~~

"Hello, Maria," she said softly. ~~Of course. ~~

"Maria, this is Audra Sonata, quite possibly the galaxy's greatest nanny and my very good friend," Adonis said simply, his arm around Audra as he beckoned Maria closer. "Hi," Maria said simply, holding out her hand. "He's talked a lot about you but I think he must have been a naughty child to have to watch."

"No more so than any other," Audra answered, smiling slightly, a slight hiss sounding on her s's. "He was a beautiful child."

Pas set the flowers down then and pointed a thumb at Gressa. "My personal watch Klingon says we have guests?"

Calista hugged him tightly then nodded slightly. "Adonis has brought along a nice young lady friend."

"It is about time," Gressa hmmphed as she took the flowers.

~~Well, it is.  He needs a gorgeous lady like you, my imzadi.  Nice girl?~~

~She seems quite lovely, actually,~ Calista smiled.

Maria grinned up at Adonis, thinking he still was rather beautiful. "Can we help you with anything here? I hate to see other people working if I'm just standing around."

~~She's wonderful, Audra, warm inside and out. So peaceful.~~

~~She does seem that way,~~ Audra agreed, kneeling to scrub the hardwood flooring with a brush while a soft cloth worked on the brass and glass light coverings.

"The last person I saw work like that was...never mind. Not a mutant?" Maria asked him curiously.

Adonis shook his head. "Not a mutant. Just Audra," he said with a gentle smile as Maria knelt to Audra's eye level.

"Are you sure you don't want some help?" Maria asked.

Audra looked into those kind eyes and smiled, careful not to expose sharp teeth and fangs. "Thank you," she answered, "but I would prefer you relaxed and enjoyed your visit. Really." All at once cleaning implements all around the room sprang to life on their own, cleaning frantically. "I've got this."

"Then..." Maria pointed at the cleaning utensils that fairly danced about the room. "Don't exhaust yourself. Please?"

~~You coming up, son, or are you having a nice chat with Audra?~~

Adonis grinned, apparently, in Maria's eyes, for no reason. "Come on, my dad's back," he said as he took Maria's hand. ~~Thanks, Audra. I know you're a good judge of character.~~

Audra's face lit up at that. It meant so much to her to know there was still something of value she had to offer these children she loved so dearly.~~You're welcomed.~~

"I like her," Mara said softly as they walked back up the steps. "I know I never met anybody like her but she just loves you. I can tell."

He nodded.  "She's not just our nanny.  She's a part of the family."

Meeting them on the way down, Artemis asked, "Audra or Gressa?"

"Both but Audra's the only one downstairs. She works too hard," Adonis stated, shaking his head. "Maria wanted to help her."

Artemis laughed at that. "Never happen," she told her. More serious, she explained, "Audra only accepts help when she's dropped from exhaustion and has no choice. Daddy's tried for years to convince her she's not a servant and doesn't have to try to do everything. That she'll never be put out :or sent back. She doesn't seem to buy that."

"I can understand that but it's still hard for me to sit still and not 'do'. I'm the one who does that stuff at home," Maria explained.

Pas grinned when he saw both twins, along with the petite girl with the oddly colored hair. "There you two are," he said, smiling broadly, holding out his arms. "Trying to hide from the old man are you?"

"Never," Artemis answered, all but running into his arms. "Just was going to go say hi to Audra, but it sounds like she's in another one her cleaning frenzies."

Maria watched as Adonis joined his sister in embracing the older man. It was quite obvious that this was their father since Adonis looked so very much like him, despite the older man's mostly gray hair. She had to smile. Such familial affection was lovely. His arm still around his father, Adonis held the other one out to Maria. "Come here, I want you to meet my dad."

Calista came running down the stairs, calling, "Jaresh, please keep the warmers on. Mika's been delayed but is on her way, and I'd prefer that she had her meal with the rest of us."

"K!" Jaresh called back from the kitchen, "It's not done anyway."

Calista frowned. "What do you mean it's not done? I thought you'd finished preparing the last of it ten minutes ago."

"Nope," he called back, giggling. "STILL COOKING..."

Artemis laughed. If they let him go, he'd still be cooking ten hours from now, or as long as it takes to run out of both fresh foods and break the replicator. Didn't her mother realize that yet?

Struggling to keep a straight face, Adonis ignored Jaresh for the moment, saying, "Dad, this is Maria Wagner. We met at some place you had better take Mom one day: Butterfly World. Maria--my dad."

Pas smiled at the girl, sensing already what attracted his son. She seemed a peaceful and serene girl, even if she was giggling at Jaresh. "I'm pleased to meet you, Maria, though we may have met in passing a while ago at Kai's wedding."

"Oh yes! Now I remember. You and Uncle Nat kept going on about sports," she said as her hand was enveloped in his.

Artemis laughed again. "Yup, that sounds like Daddy."

Glancing toward Audra's cleaning cupboard, Calista stepped forward, taking Maria gently by the arm and moving her slightly toward her. "Look out," she said, before glancing in Pas direction and sighting as she shook her head. Two spray bottles of cleaning solution and a fresh package of sponges began to make their way toward the basement.

"I hope she doesn't get tired doing that," Maria mused, her eyes following the bottles' path. "Anybody I know who does that gets a bit exhausted from that much telekinetic activity."

"She does to," Calista confirmed, frowning. "We all do."

"Except us poor ordinaries," Pas said innocently but he did take Calista's elbow. ~~Sit down and talk to the girl if you want. I'll see to the rest.~~

.~~Thank you, imzadi.~~"Believe me, my love," Calista answered affectionately. "There is nothing ordinary about you." She turned to Maria again, gesturing toward the chairs nearby. "Join me?" she asked her, smiling sweetly.

Adonis smiled at his parents, still so sweetly and genuinely affectionate after all these years. His father waved him off saying, "Go on and sit, son. I promise to behave."

~~Please, Dad.  We'd like to keep you around a long time~~ Adonis told him.

~~I know, now go pay some attention to your girl.  She's a sweetheart.~~

"So," Calista began brightly, addressing Maria. "Tell me more about yourself."

"There isn't much to tell. I'm just an ordinary girl really," Maria told her. Well, it was true. She didn't think she was anything so special. "I was born and grew up in New York. The town is called Salem Center but most of us live at the school there. It's fairly huge."

Calista nodded. "So you like it there?" she asked.

"It's home," she said serenely. "They still throw things at some of us sometimes but only those who look different. They gave my brothers and sister a very hard time."

"I suppose I should be grateful that Lokii's children bear such a strong outward resemblance to those of Terra," Calista sighed, understanding from having seen reactions to Audra, and Jaresh in his native form.

"But I am from here," Maria explained. "We all are. I'm actually, in theory, half Spriti by the X gene is very strong usually. We have almost no Spriti genetic traits at all. We are Human yet most people will not see so."

"Ah, like Rae then," Calista smiled. "I knew a few people like that. The X gene works in so many different ways it always astounds...." She stopped as a mop bucket filled with fresh water and a brand new mop began making their way downstairs.

"Gabriel's seen so many different types of people but that's because of what he does. I like it home," Maria admitted.

"Gabriel as in Gabriel Wagner, the CO of DSVP, Mom. That's her brother," Adonis explained.

"Oh!" Calista exclaimed. "Really? How nice. He's such a good man, your brother."

"We had quite a clash of coincidences today," he said. "So much so that see if this doesn't remind you of that picture Dad has of Mika when she was little." He reached into his jacket to pull out the small holo copy Maria made him of the picture of her and the butterfly.

"Well would you look at that,"Pas said as he stepped in from the kitchen, wiping his hands on a towel he held.

Calista was amazed. "It really does remind me of it. Amazing." She looked at Maria and chimed. "You've always been beautiful. I see the proof here."

"God has been very liberal with his blessings for me," Maria said, her face flushing red.

Squeezing her hand gently, Calista assured her, "No doubt you remain worthy of every one of them and more." She stopped again when she saw another duster and two more scrub brushes making their way to the basement. Sighing, she looked at her husband, frustrated. ~~She's been at this two days now. She's not going to come up again tonight at this rate.~~

~~Let me go and see why~~ he told her before smiling at Maria. "Calista's right, dear. My son has a good eye but only because you're a fine subject."

"True...he's very picky," Artemis laughed.

"Missy, behave please." Calista scolded even as she laughed. ~~thank you,~~

"I'm not picky, sister dear, I have good taste," Adonis said mildly even if his smile was a bit forced. Pas fought back the urge to roll his eyes as he carefully descended the stairs to the basement. He left the lights low and just stood there, watching the flurry of activity, "Audra, stop. Please."

"I'm not done," Audra said without looking up, her voice slightly strained. "It's not clean yet."

He crouched in front of her and settled a hand on top of one of her small ones. "Stop, Audra, it's fine. Really." ~~What's the matter? Talk to me.~~

Audra looked up slowly, her eyes filled with fear. "She called. Her mother. I no longer have children to tend. No longer have a reason to be here. She tries to take me from here. Back to Tan."

Something was obviously going on between the twins. Maria had her own siblings and she knew enough when background spoke without speaking. It's my fault...

"Okay...okay...sorry, Donny," Artemis giggled. "I'll stop."

Pas hardly ever swore. It went against his pacifist nature in general and, he usually explained, it just wasn't respectful or classy. Just then, though, there was nothing else to say. "Bullshit," he said swiftly. "You aren't going anywhere. You're no servant. You're family and that's it. If I have to weasel some way around their bizarre laws then that's what I'll do." He squeezed her hands very lightly and looked into her sad eyes. "Audra, those children love you. They won't let anything happen to you."

"They can't stop it," Audra hissed in terror. "I'm Tantori. Remember."

Pas put his arm around her and patted her shoulder. "For everything you've done for us, keeping you safe is the least that we can do, hon. You know that. Adonis is not going to take this lying down. That boy /loves/ you."

"I don't believe, Artemis," Adonis said levelly, enunciating each syllable carefully, "that my name is Donny."

Artemis exchanged glances with her mother, before answering primly. "No, dear brother Adonis, I don't believe it is. Do forgive my error." Winking at Maria then, she added, "You'd prefer I called you Addy? Or perhaps Nissy? Hmm...think I like that one."

"Y'know," he said, his eyes narrowing, "you're older than me, sister dear, you're supposed to be setting a good example."

Maria had been watching the by-play quietly, unsure if it would erupt into some of the full fledged fights she'd seen at Xavier's. Those usually left things pretty well damaged but they wouldn't do that here...would they? She glanced at Calista. "Is he really the younger?"

"Not by much, but yes," Calista confirmed before casting stern eye at her children. "Enough now. Artemis, please check on Jaresh." Smiling again at Maria, she added." Adonis, perhaps you would like to show your lovely young lady around while we wait for Mika to arrive."

"Forty years old and I still have to listen to my mom," he said with a snort.
"Are you really?" Maria asked, her eyes widening.

"What?  Forty?"  At her nod, he said, "Almost forty-one actually."

"You barely look older than me," she said softly.

Calista looked to Gressa. "Will you mind them while I check on Pas and Audra. She's so out of sorts the last few days. I'm not sure what to do."

If Maria hadn't been so used to Logan, she might have jumped clear out of her skin at the sight of the imposing Klingon woman, who was even bigger than Adonis and his father. As it was, she edged closer to him any way.

Gressa fixed both twins with a hard stare. "Do you really wish for me to start singing again?" she asked darkly.

"No, Lady Gressa. ..thanks...we're, uh, all good. Right, Adonis?" Artemis answered quickly, sincerely hoping that wouldn't happen.

~~Why don't we keep the Donny bit to ourselves then? Hmm? Klingon opera sounds like German opera and Maria might like it~~

Artemis snorted. ~~ You got it, little brother. Anything to avoid that noise.~~

Maria bit back a tentative laugh. "Be careful when you meet my Uncle Logan then, Adonis. He's...something else but he doesn't sing."

"Barbarian," Gressa hmmphed.

Pas was still seated on the basement floor next to Audra and his dark eyes were more than vexed when he saw Calista. "Your mother called," he said simply.

"Oh?" Calista asked. "What did she need?"

"She wants Audra back to Tan," Pas began. "Apparently she has no children to take care of any more so...this is insane, Calista. We can't let that happen."

Calista eye lit up in anger. "I've already told her she can't have her back. Audra stays with us. As the ambassador to Terra, I require an attache. Audra is that person." Things around the basement began to quake as Calista's temper rose. I can't believe she is trying this again. She never lets up." All at once everything stopped moving, as Calista's eyes narrowed. "Fine. We'll do it her way. If we must have more children in order for her to stop this craziness, okay. We'll start working on it tonight. Okay?"

Pas ignored the shaking objects in the basement though he was fairly sure that the children must have felt what was going on. It had to be why she stopped. That wasn't why he was ignoring the objects, though. "Ah, are you serious?" he asked carefully.

"Yeah," Calista answered." Mother's been pushing this for the last twenty years. I've had to argue it with her at least once each season, and each time she's more insistent and more intent upon having her way. I'd hoped that grandchildren would be the answer, but I don't see that happening right away, do you?" She looked Audra, her expression softening. "She's family, Pas. We can't let them take her." She looked down at the floor. ~~they still intend to kill her for her crimes.~~

Pas hmmphed softly. ~~Grandkids'd be nice but...yeah...~~ He didn't see it happening either, though. They wouldn't suggest such a thing to the children even before now. "Did I ever tell you how much I seriously dislike your mother at times like this?"

"Yes, dear, many times," Calista answered wryly. "Almost as much as Christian does."

"Please," Audra asked quietly, her eyes on the floor. "Do not subject yourself to her for me. It's alright." Slowly, she stood. "I have lived much longer than I was entitled to. You have given me much. A life, a purpose, even a family. I am grateful. You need do nothing more." Turning away, she began calling all the supplies to her and sending them back to their places. "Come....the children wait."

Pas reached over to tilt her chin up. "Audra, sometimes it's a question of subjecting her to me," he said with a mild snort. "Or the twins for that matter. Or Christian...You don't ever have to look down when you talk to us. You know that." ~~It really would be interesting, though...tonight...yeah...~~

When Audra looked up at him it was with tear filled eyes. "She won't let it go. To her, I am still just Tantori. Worse. I am Altamecha Tantori. And a criminal. This time she offered a replacement for me. She will send her in two days time."

Adonis looked at his twin, eyes narrowed. "Something's going on down there, Artemis," he said, all teasing now gone. "Something's very wrong."

Artemis nodded curtly. She felt it too. "Let's go," she said. Turning to Gressa she added. "Can you or Jaresh send Mika down when she gets here, please?"

Gressa nodded just once. She'd ceased wondering about the psi talents of the children years before. She did as they asked. Maria, though, looked hesitant. "If there's a problem, maybe I ought to go home," she said softly.

"No, don't." Artemis answered quickly. "Please...you can come with us. It's alright."

"Please, Maria," Adonis said, taking her hand. "You're a very peaceful soul. It helps."

Her cheeks flushed at his sincerity.  "Alright."

Artemis took her other hand and led them down the steps to the basement. Stopping halfway, she looked at her brother, horrified. "She's crying..." She sped up until they were nearly running down the rest of the way.

Adonis was horrified at the tears on Audra's face and the looks on his parents' faces. "What's going on and don't say nothing because there is."

"Your grandmother has struck again," Calista growled, refusing to cry, though she was both angry and very upset at the news. "Apparently she's sending me a new attache. And recalling Audra to Tan, since she is, in your Grandmother's eyes, no longer needed here."

"Audra...you should have said something to me before," Adonis began even as he went to put his arm around his mother. His dark eyes settled on Maria. "It's a death sentence."

"NO!" Maria cried, her eyes filling.  "Because she's different?"

"Because she is of Tan," Artemis answered bitterly. "But they can't take her. She looked from her father to her brother, her expression pleading. "You can't let them take her."

"Take who?" came a feminine voice from the top of the stairs in advance of footsteps descending.

~~Audra and you know exactly who~~ Adonis looked up at his older sister as she finally joined them. He fixed his eyes on his parents. "She can't do this. What are we going to do?"

"I thought perhaps to show the same need she had before," Calista admitted,"but it appears she's being....replaced....upgraded...something of that sort. Unless we can find a way to prove we can't spare her, that she can't be replaced, she leaves in two days." She looked at Pas, tearing up, "I don't know what else to do. I've fended off every attempt so far, and each time she finds what she considers a solution to my argument. She won't accept that Audra is more than property. Keeps insisting that Tantori cannot be family to the children of Lokii."

"Wait...you said the need she had before. Do you mean Adonis and me?" Artemis asked, the wheels beginning to turn.

"Yes. I'd claimed her as my attache before, but this new girl can do that, and tend to any children I we might have," Calista answered sadly.

"Maybe," Artemis said slowly, "but she can't be in two households at once, right? So if one of us were to have that same need, she'd have to let Audra stay. Right? Wouldn't she?"

"No," Audra answered firmly, though she shook with fear. "Children....should come as you did...within a loving bond....to a family who really wants them. Not just for convenience sake." She looked at Pas. "You taught me that. Remember. Children must be wanted and loved."

Pas nodded slowly. It still pained him to think of how close he'd come to losing the twins and Calista before they were born. "I wouldn't give up any of my children and I have you and Gressa to thank for helping us keep together."

Maria blinked back tears. It was so unfair, something she'd heard about and lived all her life. But death...she shuddered and edged even closer to Adonis.

Audra looked at the girl and smiled softly, still careful not to expose her fangs. "It's alright...I've lived long...more time than those of Tan should, I've been told." she left out the fact that it was Calista's mother who'd pointed it out. Looking at the twins, she added, "You will make a new friend now."

"People aren't interchangeable that way," Mika said, shaking her head, wondering just when he little brother had found himself a girlfriend.

"Exactly," Artemis agreed with her sister. "So...how long do I have to fill this hole?" she asked, indicating her abdomen, her expression completely serious.

"About as soon as your mother does, baby," Pas said wryly. "What are you up to, Artemis?"

"Well, actually, there's something I kind of wanted to talk to you guys about," Artemis answered sheepishly.

"Oh?" Calista asked. "And what would that be?"

~~What are you up to, sister?~~ Adonis asked.

"Well, see. Mom. Daddy. Do you remember when I took that little vacation on Delta IV?" Artemis began.

~~You didn't...~~Mika began, hers eyes widening.

"Go on," Pas said carefully, caught somewhere between shock and impending joy and the urge to throttle some stranger.

"Well, see....I met this guy...really sweet...and just so completely irresistible," Artemis smiled in spite of herself.

~~She is having entirely too much fun with this, imzadi~~ Pas said as he looked at his wife. ~~Are you thinking what I'm thinking?~~

Unaccountably, Maria felt a blush climbing her cheeks. She knew where this was going and, while it pleased her for Artemis' sake, it also embarrassed her. It was something of a sin but, at least, a lovely one.

Calista nodded, trying hard to keep a straight face as her daughter continued, "Well, see....we got to talking....then we sort of started dancing...and it felt so good to be so close....and, well...one thing sort of led to another, as they will, you know...."

"Let's see. I've been married to your mother for over forty years and there are three children sitting here in front of us. I'm fairly sure that, by now, I know how it goes, baby," Pas said wryly. "Oh, good...then you won't be at all upset when I tell you how it ended," Artemis said brightly. "Right? Grandpa?"

"Come here, baby," Pas said, beaming and holding out the arm that wasn't still around Calista and Audra. Moving into his arms, Artemis asked, "So will that do it? If this new person is supposed to be Mom's attache....I'll still need a nanny, right? So Audra can stay?"

Pas looked at Calista questioningly. "Does it depend on how unreasonable the woman is this week?"

Maria grinned up at Adonis.  "You're going to be an uncle!"

Calista and Audra exchanged a look. "Mother always travels with her own attache as well, and she's escorting mine personally." Looking up at Pas she asked, "Can we really put it past her not to decide to leave hers as well just so she can take her back?" She then looked to Adonis. "It'll be a fight either way."

"No need," Audra shook her head, defeated. "She wants it. She leads the counsel. She will have it."

~~I think the idea you had before is looking better and better, imzadi~~ Pas said touching his forehead to hers. ~~Though I'm sure that hag would have something to say about my age and everything else.~~

Adonis felt the flicker of his sister's joy and sent it toward her but he was angry. No, be honest, Kaartaren, he told himself. You're infuriated. "She and I are going to have some very unpleasant words."

"Dinner?" Jaresh asked from the top of the stairs before spying Audra. In two long strides he was there by her side. "What's wrong? Why is she crying?"

"Because I have to go away," Audra answered sadly. "And I will miss all of you."

"No!" Jaresh demanded. "You can't leave me. We're a team. You and me, remember? You said you'd stay with me...."

"As long as I could....I remember, Jaresh....and I have. I would still if I could." Audra replied.

"Please don't," Jaresh begged, starting to cry as well. He lifted her into his arms, holding her close, the difference in size reminiscent of a parent and child, though the roles here were often reversed. "Don't leave me....please...."

"Jaresh, we won't let her be taken," Pas said, reiterating what they all felt. "Please, sit with us if you want to."

"It's too bad they don't have the concept of sanctuary on other worlds," Maria said softly. "God's house is inviolate."

"Lokiians, at least most pure bloods, believe only in the great Lokii, and the lesser gods Hel, Tan and Kel. All others are considered pretenders or versions of Lokii, who set forth the rules of order through our leaders. Audra wouldn't be safe there. Her fate has been decided by Lokii's hand," Calista answered in flat, dull, hopeless tones.

"The chaos bringer," Maria hmmphed softly, the name sounding close to the mythology studies from school.

"That'd be my grandmother alright," Adonis said darkly.

"He was called that in his father's realm, before it was destroyed," Calista admitted, not bothering to chastise her son.

Maria's face darkened. She knew the story but it couldn't be the same. It was impossible. "I know his nephew," she said with a shake of her head. "Aunt Rosie doesn't like him but my father still speaks to him."

Calista looked astounded. "Your parents know Lokii? Really?" she looked at Audra, an idea forming."Is your father on good terms with him?"

"My father is--yes," Maria said carefully. "He said Magni went to Xavier's for a while because it was the only way he could go to Starfleet Academy." Her eyes, which were a shade of aquamarine, were filled with disbelief. "Vati says they all think they're gods but that's impossible. But yes, his name is Magni and his last name is Asdgardson."

"Perhaps that's the answer." Artemis caught on,"If grandmother truly speaks with Lokii within his temple, as is supposed, she would have to acknowledge his family's powers as well. How could she say with certainty a message through him didn't come from his Uncle?"

"Sweetheart, does the gentleman get offended when people don't quite believe that he's...well, let's say not more than mortal?" Pas asked Maria.

She shook her head. "My father's beliefs are as strong as my own and they've been friends for many years."

Pas nodded.  "It's worth a shot."

"Would he do it?" Calista asked Maria hopefully.

"I..." Maria held her hands up as if to say she had no idea. "He and Vati are friends. He's always been very nice to me. I can ask. I even know where he's posted."

"Thank you," Calista said, hugging Maria quickly. "We'd all be so grateful. It could be the key to allowing Audra to live. You can use our com if you want to."

"You don't mind that I can't possible see him as what he says he is?" Maria asked carefully. "He knows how we Wagners feel already but I don't want you to think I am being disrespectful."

"Of course not," Calista answered. "While I know the faiths of my mother's people, I don't share it. I was raised Catholic when I was here on earth by my father, actually, when we weren't being dragged back and forth between.the two worlds. I'm not sure I believe it still, but I am familiar with the faith enough to respect you and anyone else who hold to it."

Maria smiled softly at the mention of her faith, especially since they were in Rome. Adonis said he'd take me wherever I wanted, too. That happy thought in mind, she sat in front of the comm and reached into her hand bag, where she kept a list of contacts. Of course the name and code she was looking for was toward the beginning. Nimble fingers tapped in the code and, before long, the official Starfleet logo came up, with the registry of the USS Bifrost. It cleared to reveal an empty desk.

"Asgardson," came the disembodied voice.  "Who is it?"

"Maria Wagner, sir."

Audra's alabaster skin paled further at the thought of daring to speak to one of the Gods for the sake of one like her. Didn't they what wrath could be visited on them for speaking up for her? Why were they doing this?

The man who appeared on the screen could have been anywhere from twenty years old to a hundred and twenty. He looked young but his blue eyes were those of a very old soul. His hair was a light auburn as was the neatly trimmed goatee that he wore. His uniform jacket was unbuttoned, though, the only sign of relaxation until he smiled at Maria.

"Ah, the littlest Wagner!" he exclaimed. "How are you, sweets? Your folks alright?" he asked.

"They're fine. Vati still teaches the same classes," she began. She looked down at her hands a moment then up at her father's friend, not knowing quite where to begin. "Sir, I need to ask a favor of you and it may sound...strange coming from me."

"Yeah? Go on then, Maria. Let's hear it," the red haired man said carefully.

"I want you to have one of the Tantori saved, pardoned, or whatever it is that needs doing to let her stay where she is," she said in a rush.

Audra looked as if she might faint at any moment, so shaken was she by the sight of him. It was really him. Thor's son, though he appeared kinder speaking to the girl than he'd been said to be in their holy books.

Magni sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "One of my uncle's domains," he said, almost to himself. "He still hates my father's guts but he's always been decent to me." He looked at his friend's younger daughter curiously. "How is it that you know one of them? He has their laws so damned convoluted that it's practically a death sentence if they even think of leaving the place."

"I think somebody else can explain better," Maria said carefully before she turned to look at Calista. "Please, can you talk to him, Mrs. Kaartaren? It's Magni Asgardson."

"Mr. Asgardson, I'm Calista DeAngelo." Calista introduced herself. "And you are correct about the laws. The Tantori are used and abused on their home planet, forbidden either leave or to defend themselves and sentenced to die if they do. Our friend, Audra Sonata, is one such as this. They allowed her grace to serve us, though, in truth, she is as one of our family, but only because I am the Lokiian High Council leader's daughter, and Ambassador to the Federation, but now that grace has been withdrawn. They send another thinking to replace her, as if that were possible, and demand her return to fulfill the sentence of death they've passed against her." Tears flowed freely as she spoke this, the fear of losing her friend tearing her up inside. "Please....if there's any way you can help in this, please...we love her. We couldn't bear to lose her."

The entire time Adonis' mother spoke, Maria stayed next to her, daring to hold her hand in a gesture of comfort. "Please, Magni," she added softly. "It would be the same as if somebody wanted to execute me or Vati or Grandpa for being mutants."

"Don't get me started on that bit, Maria. That still annoys me, especially when I can't do anything about it other than stand there and fight beside them.," Magni grumbled. He then turned those vivid blue eyes onto the other woman. Of course she was one of them. She was too perfect, appeared too young, to not be one. Ordinarily, that would have irked him but he felt her sincerity even across space. "You know, ma'am, I ordinarily don't stick my nose in my uncle's business, even if I don't agree with what he does. It gets much uglier than you'd think. far worse than any family fight on this plane of existence. But--you asked and Maria asked and that's enough. Besides, it isn't me that my uncle hates. It's my father."

"Thank you, and I'm sorry if this causes problems for you with your uncle, sir, but..."Calista turned and drew Audra toward herself and Maria. "This is the Audra Sonata. I thought if maybe you could just help him see how worth saving she is."

Audra moved without resistance to where she was pulled, eyes down, knowing without a doubt that it would be unforgivable for one such as she to gaze upon one so filled with grace.

Magni smiled gently. "Hello, Audra. I'm very pleased to meet you," he said, speaking as gently as he smiled. "You can look up at me, you know. If it helps, don't look at me as my father's son. Think of me as yet another damned Starfleet officer."

Audra smiled slightly at that, though her black eyes were filled with fear. She'd known enough who'd talk to her gentle so she'd drop her guard, then turn on her brutally for it.

"One day, if you meet Maria's father, you'll understand why I don't hold the same values as my uncle. For now, I can't expect you to trust me but you can trust Maria. She's a good girl," Magni said, his blue eyes holding those dark frightened ones.
"Oh stop that," Maria said with a blush.  "I'm nothing special."

"You're a sweetheart, girl," Magni chuckled. "You know all the old stories, Audra?"

Audra nodded hesitantly. She'd heard all the tales, both from before the worlds of Lokii and after.

"The Ragnarok never quite happened yet so things have gone on that mortals don't know about, mostly because they forgot us. I am quite comfortable with that though I still have my powers. I am the High Mage of the Aesir, the ones who dwell in Asgard, even if I stay on this plane. I will do my uncle the courtesy of asking simply because he is my uncle but I can do things without his permission." He smirked slightly and ran a hand over the goatee. "It feels good to flex the magic now and then."

"But the old stories..they said it happened....Fenris...Tyre...didn't it?" Audra asked, confused.

"Is it wise to provoke Lokii, sir?" Calista asked, worried if the outcome wouldn't be worse for Audra if Lokii didn't approve.

"I have no intention of provoking him, ma'am," Magni explained. "If for no other reason, if I tell him Maria asked, he'll agree. He was mightily irked, to be polite about it, when my father asked that I be allowed to go to Xavier's. He thought they would...hmmm...well, water me down. Obviously they didn't and he was pleased that Maria's father took me as a friend. The man ceased taking his gripes with my father out on anyone but him. It'll be fine."

Calista nodded gratefully, as Audra lowered her eyes and whispered a quiet," thank you."

"You're very welcome, Audra. Now I'll get started on this as soon as I'm off the comm but I do have to ask something. We Aesnir are nothing if not nosy. How is it that Maria came to be sitting there in your house?"

"She has agreed to grace our home and our table with her presence on the arm of my son this evening," Calista answered with a smile.

"Ah ha! See to it that he treats you right, Maria. I know what your father would do otherwise," Magni warned.

"He will, sir.  He's a nice man," Maria stated, her cheeks warming again.

"Good, that's what I like to hear. Folks, I'll be in touch shortly," Magni said as he closed the connection.

"I'll make more food," Jaresh announced. "In case he comes over."

Adonis stepped over to where Maria was still sitting with his mother and Audra. "Thank you, Maria," he said simply before kissing her forehead.

"Yes, thank you," Calista agreed as her youngest daughter turned to Jaresh.

"You know, how about if instead of cooking now, we start eating," Artemis told him, taking him by the arm. "I'm so hungry even turnips sound good right now."

"Turnips?" Jaresh asked, smiling. "I got turnips!"

Artemis laughed. "I'm sure you do."

"Do you like turnips, Maria?" Mika asked as she stood up. "If you do, you'll never be disappointed in Jaresh's cooking."

"Don't worry," Calista reassured her, "If you don't. He's made at least a dozen other dishes besides. I'm sure there'll be something you'll enjoy."

"At the school, we have had so many different people from around the world come to live, some only for a little while, that we all get used to different things very quickly," Maria said easily then she grinned at Jaresh. "My grandfather loves turnips."

Audra smiled up at him gently as Jaresh got excited. "We can send him some. I have lots. Lots and lots and lots."

"I tell you what, Jaresh," Adonis said, "I'll ask him about that when I meet him. They only live in New York, on the other side of the ocean, so it isn't that far."

"Okay," Jaresh agreed as he almost ran to the table, pulling out chairs for each of them. "Sit down. Sit down. Time to eat." He chanted as he settled each of them in then dashed after Audra into the kitchen to bring the food.

"Is he always like that?" Maria asked softly. "I don't want to make him nervous."

"Well...yeah, he sort of is like that," Adonis chuckled.

Jaresh clapped his hands and giggled like a child on Christmas morning as Audra directed the many dishes onto the table. "Here, have this..." He said, putting known favorites of one kind or another onto each of the family members plates.

The whole display reminded Maria of group breakfasts at home. She wondered if the wings Jaresh had worked, smiling as she recalled the flyers in the group delivering meals. Then again, there were her father and grandfather simply teleporting about to accomplish the same thing.

~~Guest approaching~~ Pas said as he looked up past the dining room entrance.

Calista groaned silently. ~Tell me mother's not early...~

~~No, I'd have a head ache already if it was her.~~ He offered a less than apologetic smirk. ~~No this seems more like the gentleman on the screen. I guess Aesnir time is different from people time, eh?~~

Calista nodded slow, picking up her wine. ~~I'd always heard it was so.~~

"Gressa, would you get the door please?" Pas asked.

"Show off," the gray haired Klingon muttered as she stomped (which was her normal gait) across the house to the front door. She yanked the door open just as a tall Humanoid looking man in shades of blue was about to knock. " 'Iv 'oH SoH?" she demanded.

"Magni Asgardson," the red haired man replied directly, without even blinking. "I'm here to see the lady of the house."

Jaresh bound joyfully behind Gressa. "Come in and eat. I made turnips!" he called before bounding back.

"Turnips." Magni held back a shudder. Evil things. He held back an amused smile at the Klingon as he followed her. He liked Klingons. They had attitude. "I think I can do without those. They taste worse than they look."

Pas stood up slowly, holding his hand out to Calista as he heard, audibly and mentally, Gressa approach. "Shall we, imzadi?"

Calista stood and took his hand. "Let's."

"Your guest, Kaartaren," Gressa grumbled, eyeing the man warily. She liked the weird little woman who lived with them and she'd snap the man in half if he didn't do as he was supposed yo.

The tenor of the man's thoughts were clear. His amusement with Gressa amused Pas but he kept that to himself. It just wouldn't do to have her slug him just then. "Captain Asgardson, welcome to our home. I'm Pas Kaartaren and I know you've spoken to my wife."

"Will you join us for  a bite?" Calista asked, gesturing toward the table.

"I'd be pleased to but do you want me to tell you what came to pass first?" he asked quietly.

"Please," Calista answered, nodding slightly, glancing toward the formal dining area. "But only if it's good news. If not, let's wait until the meal has passed. Alright?"

"Absolutely," Magni said, holding up his hands. He spied the tiny woman who had to be the one named Audra and smiled. Then he waved at Maria. Turning back to Pas and Calista, he shook his head. "I wouldn't be rude enough to come with bad news. I don't enjoy that like some people do. Can you ask Audra to come over, though? I think she's afraid of me."

"She's Tantori," Calista reminded him, as she silently called for Audra to join them. "Of course she's afraid."

"That's my uncle's purview. I only make people afraid who piss me off and Maria wouldn't do that," Magni said with a shrug. "It's why my name's Asgardson and not Thorson. I'm my own man."

Audra approached nervously, eyes down. "Yes, ma'am?"

Calista sighed, drawing her closer with an arm around her shoulders. "Audra..."

"I'm sorry," she whispered, still minimizing the hissing. "I meant, Yes, Calista?"

Calista sighed silently. Someday they'd get this down, she hoped.

~~Relax, Audra. He won't bite: not literally or figuratively~~Pas said gently.

Magni spotted a nearby chair and sat himself in so that he was more on an eye level with Audra. "Come here, Audra. My name's Magni Asgardson and I'd like to talk to you."

Audra stepped closer, if only slightly and glanced toward him a moment to show he had her attention.

"You know, I went and had a chat with my uncle. He likes me actually," Magni said with an amused snort as he rested his elbows on his knees, trying to minimize his height as much as possible. "I explained how very much you mean to these fine people, how you are family to them. He knows I don't ask him for anything. He also knows how very highly I think I Maria and her family. So...you are no longer his charge, my dear. You're mine and I say you stay here. Anybody who dares say otherwise is not going to like the consequences."

"I am...yours now?" Audra asked, making sure she'd understood correctly. "No longer of Tan?"

"No, sweetheart," Magni said gently. "You are your own person. In the grand scheme of things, if I had to explain it to this fine lady's mother: yes, you would be mine. You know what though? It'd be a lie of convenience that we'd both know wasn't true. Do you understand?"

The glance Audra cast from Calista to Pas made it clear she really didn't. Could a child of Tan belong to themselves? Wasn't that unheard of?

"I'll try to explain it better for you later, Audra," Pas said as he reached to cup her chin, "but it means that the wicked witch of the far, far west can't touch you without what sounds like drastic consequences."

Adonis snorted in outright amusement as his father's description but otherwise kept quiet.

Magni smirked at the son's reaction but nodded. "Ask Maria, Audra. People--mortals especially-- who piss me off generally regret it."

Audra looked from Pas to Calista and back, confused and more than a little wary, but only nodded in response. Better not to risk saying the wrong thing, in that case.

"Oh stop," Maria said softly.  "You don't mean it that way."

"No," Magni hmmphed. "You're right. I'm a level headed man now, much more so than I was years ago. She means the people who used to harass her father and family."

Audra looked uncertain. Did that mean she was at risk or not?

"Excuse the interruption, Captain, but that wouldn't apply to, say, those who you're technically in charge of otherwise, would it?" Adonis asked mildly.

"Od's blood--no! I'm a pushover, Audra. You need not be afraid of me," Magni said softly as he realized what the younger Kaartaren meant.

Calista sighed. It was Audra's nature to fear, unfortunately. It was what her people had been taught since their birth, to fear all others who are so far above them. Audra only nodded. Alright. If he said so.

Magni rested his blue eyes on Audra's small face and smiled softly. "If you ever need anything, you can feel free to call me or tell Maria to call me. Captain Wagner's baby sister won't get put on hold by anybody."

Audra hesitated, then nodded. She wasn't prone to calling for help, but it would make no sense to contradict a God. If he said it should be so, then he must be right.

"Good," Magni said as he stood up. Then he grinned at Pas and Calista. "You know, I haven't been in this part of the world since I was a kid and Maria's dad took me to Germany. I thank you for the invitation."

"Please believe the pleasure is all ours," Calista smiled, gesturing toward the table.

"Oh, good," Jaresh grinned. "More people. I make more food."

"NO," Calista, Audra and Artemis all called out in unison,though Artemis barely managed through the laughter. Just what they needed, she thought. More last minute turnip dishes..

"Trust me," Audra told him gently, taking Jaresh's arm and leading him toward the serving platters. "We've more than enough."

~~Mom, when's you know who due?~~ Adonis asked his mother, using the mind speak if only so Audra wouldn't be bothered.

~~Well....Audra has been downstairs two days since the call...she said mother was coming in....~~ Calista stopped as the realization set in, looking from her son to Pas.

Pas, still never in the habit of mental eavesdropping, nevertheless knew exactly what was on Calista's mind when she looked at him. ~~You behave yourself, son,~~ he said mildly. ~~Imzadi, that woman is never late so...~~

He nearly cringed when the doorbell rang.

With a shuddering sigh, Audra rose. "I'll get it."

"No," Jaresh answered, his voice unusually forceful as he drew himself to his full height, his eyes flashing. "Let me."

"You know, sis," Adonis said to both Artemis and Mika, "I think this particular scene is going to be interesting."

"Ever the master of understatement," Artemis responded, shaking her head as Jaresh stalked menacingly toward the door.

"Is he going to cause a problem?" Maria asked Adonis in a hurried whisper.

"Mmm...probably," Adonis said mildly, winking first at his twin and then squeezing Maria's hand in comfort. "Don't worry. Jaresh is a wise man."

Jaresh drew a deep breath and unfurled his great, filmy wings, his eyes glowing with an unnatural light and a wind seeming to come up around him as he opened the door, as he looked down at the petite, youthful-looking beauty before him. "Can I help you?" he asked in tone that effectively informed her of his distaste for her presence.

She favored her daughter in both form and feature, save for her rigid stance, the harsh set of her jaw, and the icy coldness of her heart. "Stand aside, boy, I've little time to waste on the likes of you. Where is my daughter?" With a wave of her hand she sought to remove him from her path, only to find him completely immovable, having planned ahead and drawn the wind about him to anchor himself.

"You interrupt the family at dinner, madam," Jaresh growled. "You and your entourage will wait in the parlor until the Ambassador sends for you."

Angelique Liliana Marquez huffed indignantly. "Stand aside boy. "

Though things around him began to quake with her anger, Jaresh stood firm.

"That'll be enough, Jaresh," Pas said mildly as he stood up. "The place is clean as a whistle so we don't need things breaking." He made his way over slowly and gracefully. He tried not to fix the woman with a baleful stare but it was an effort, even for him. "You really are interrupting, you know. I'm fairly sure at least one of our guests wouldn't appreciate it."

"Irrelevant, Doctor. I am here to see my daughter, the Lokiian Ambassador. You will kindly remove this fool from my sight and direct me to her presence at once." The woman huffed.

Betazoid eyes darkened in a rare bout of anger. "You know. I have met some fairly disrespectful people in my time but you--" Pas fumed, his face flushing with anger, indignation, and more.

"Dr. Kaartaren, would you mind if I interjected?" came a calm voice.

"By all means, Captain," Pas said mildly, even if he was still angry, smolderingly so.

Magni winked at Audra and Maria and stood from where was seated next to Mika. He strolled over without a care in the world and smiled at Calista's mother. "The man's right you know, Ms. Marquez. You are very disrespectful."

"Indeed," the woman responded gratingly before taking full measure of the man. Her already pale features paled further as she looked into his eyes. There was no mistaking the similarities to the likenesses crafted about the main council chambers. He looked very like their own God, Lokii, he who had created, ruled, then forgotten his children, leaving them to fend for themselves with the gifts he'd bestowed upon them before his disappearance. Only those such as herself, those highly astute and intuitive, those who existed among his favorites on the world that bore his name could sense his wishes and share them with the masses. Only they had the authority to gain audience with their creator. No child of Tan, or worse, offworlder, would dare show themselves before him. That alone suggested this was not he, but one, perhaps of his lineage. Or, even more likely, and imposter brought here in a last desperate effort to thwart the will of the Gods.

"You're also very arrogant, condescending, and definitely not as all-knowing as you think," Magni stated, hands held easily at his side. His hands, despite years as a Starfleet officer, were still clean and well formed. One finger pointed at the woman. "I'm not quite as liberal with power as certain of my relations are but I can be. Ask Maria over there. She knows. Ah, but I'm being rude. If the good doctor will pardon my taking the right of naming guests from him, allow me to introduce myself. Captain Magni Asgardson or, for your purposes, Magni son of Thor, Scion of Asgard."

Angelique stood a moment, unable to respond. When at last she found her voice she answered meekly, "My Lord. Forgive my seeming rudeness. I seek but to serve. I come to my daughters home today to bring her gifts and correct a longstanding error only." Drawing the twin girls behind her to the forefront, both her attache and the new assistant she selected for Calista, she presented them to him. Both of the young, fresh-faced young girls averted their eyes, not daring to look upon his visage. "I present to you Astrild and Atla, my Lord."

"Ah, hello, ladies, it's a pleasure to meet you," he said warmly, looking at the girls even if they would not look at him. The warmth fell from his face when he looked back at Angelique. though. "Now, that young lady over there with the bluish hair is a daughter of a friend of mine. She's also a friend of your grandson's." Maria would have waved at anyone else but as it was, she simply nodded to the woman. "She asked a favor on behalf of your *ahem* long standing error and I looked into it."

"Then surely you know, my Lord, why the vile creature must be returned to face the right and just punishment for her crimes. It is long past time to remove the taint of her presence from the home of my beloved daughter and her children before any further contamination occurs." Angelique insisted. "For too long she has spread the disease of her existence among them, filling their minds with confusion and lies and blurring the lines between the righteous and the fallen until they can no longer see the difference. So skilled is she at twisting the truths, she has held herself up as a martyr before them, but we know different. The thing is a murderess and a fiend who survives by feeding upon the flesh and weaknesses of others. I have proof!"

Magni leaned forward slightly from the waist, as if he were peering at something he just couldn't believe was true. "Taint and disease. Right," he hmmphed dryly. He glanced out of the corner of his eyes at Pas. The man was clearly beyond angry and deep into fury. "Dr. Kaartaren, maybe you ought to have a seat before you burst a blood vessel. Perhaps talk to these lovely ladies here." Without waiting to see whether or not Pas would do that, he turned bright blue eyes back to Angelique. When those same eyes had looked at Maria and the others, they were full of warmth and caring. Now, though, they were cold, as cold Niflheim, ruled by his cousin Hela. "You're starting to irritate me. lady."

"I do but adhere to the laws of my Lord Lokii, Master Magni," she answered simply.

"Hmm, yes, about those laws," Magni said, taking a few pacing steps. "As I said before, Miss Wagner over there asked a favor on someone's behalf. She's a good girl in that way. Since it was her who asked, I asked my uncle about the whole matter. You know what he said? Would you care to guess?"

"I awake his answer, Master Magni." Angelique responded honestly."Pray, tell me."

Magni resisted rolling his eyes. He knew his uncle got off on that sort of attitude but it annoyed him. It grated on his nerves. "To the point, then. The woman known as Audra Sonata is no longer under Loki's charge. She's under mine. Not his--/mine/."

"Yours?" Angelique answered icily. "I see. So the creature is yours now. And what, may I ask, will you be doing with it?"

"It? If you mean /her/ then the woman's free to stay where she wants as long as she wants. If she's happy here where she's lived most of her life then that would be her choice," Magni said calmly. Ice cold eyes bore into Angelique. "If you, or anyone else from that nasty little place you come from even thinks about bothering her or this family, I will turn you into a tube grub in front of a starving Ferengi."

"She's a murderess.She killed a Barister. Lured him in, and destroyed him, mind and body. Then she fled to the Low ways, leaving more death and destruction in her wake until turning up, years later, in my child's home, pretending to be some innocent and taking sanctuary in my child's naivete. Please, you can't be thinking to set such an abomination free," Angelique protested.

"I do not agree with a lot of what my uncle's set up on your planet. It's revolting. Honestly, if the whole race of her people rose up and smote you all into dust, I wouldn't bat an eye. I'd reward them. And, personally, if I were your daughter, I'd be offended as hell at your opinion of her."

"You dare question the wisdom of Lokii? In truth? And I'm to trust your word on his will given this revelation?" Angelique asked in horror, as if the rest of his comments had gone unsaid.

Magni lifted up his hand. It was purely for visual effect, for the power within would be there even if the display wasn't, and his fingers glowed white. "Question? No, I'm not an idiot, lady. He's my uncle and I asked a favor of him. He knows that girl's father has always been my friend and was thus inclined to grant me the favor in memory of a kindness." One white glowing finger again pointed right at her. "What I chose to say, or not, is not for the likes of you to expound upon."

"Of course not, Master Magni," Angelique sputtered, still trying to wrap her head around the fact he'd asked a favor of Lokii on behalf of an Altamechan whore. "Forgive me, please. It was only my surprise. Lokii's will will be obeyed, of course. We live but to obey."

Magni snorted in outright amused contempt. "Surprise. Uh huh. Right and I'm a tame house targ on a leash." He could hear Maria covering her mouth to keep from laughing out loud. He was probably going to either laugh or be really pissed off when this was through. Maybe both, he realized. His finger still glowed. "Leave Audra alone, lady, or it's your fault. Captain Asgardson has to be reasonable. Magni of Asgard does not. You'd do well to remember that."

"Of course, my Lord. I give you my word. I will make no move to harm her," Angelique answered smoothly with a smile.

"Yeah and if anybody else does, from any other world or even across the damned street, I will lay the blame on you. Being reasonable is really overrated," Magni said with an equally smooth smile, his eyes still ice cold.

"But M'Lord," Angelique answered sweetly, "surely you realize I control no-one but myself. I have no power over the remainder of the cosmos that may or may not harbor malevolence toward any other. Such gifts reside wholly within the realm of the Gods themselves."

"As I said, being reasonable is overrated," Magni said again. "Though I could fix the problem by making an example of you for the rest of you sick puppies and whatever henchman you might employ."

"Interesting categorizations, however I do not believe that will be necessary," Angelique responded shortly.

"I'm no fool. Don't make me angry. To quote a long ago doctor, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry. If you think displeasing Loki is bad, imagine how bad I can be," Magni said with an utterly sweet smile.

"I will, of course, do my level best not to, m'lord." Angelique answered, returning his saccharine smile.

"See to that and Vess du fan ikke kan oppfr d rntli s ska stapp hue ditt opp i rva di, s kan du sett dr, aleina i mrtna, prat mannskit me d sjl, Hespetre," he said, not even blinking as he used the language of the ancients.

Though Angelique had no idea what he'd just said, she wasn't about to tell him that. Instead, she thanked him sweetly. "May I now see my child and her children, m'lord?"

"You're asking me? It's not my house." Magni nodded at Pas and then back toward Calista. "That would be up to the good doctor here and his wife." Even as he said that, he caught a look at Maria's face. The poor girl was sitting there with her hand firmly over her mouth, eyes wide with shock. Ah, damn, I forget how close that tongue is to German. Got to apologize later...

Angelique looked toward her son-in-law, awaiting his invitation.

~~Is she joking?~~ Pas asked Calista. completely ignoring the woman. ~~Other than jail, I can't think of one reason I shouldn't kill her.~~

Calista stepped forward quickly at that, sending Pas as much calm as she could muster as she replied for them. "I think perhaps that it would be wiser to schedule a visit for another day, Mother. After emotions on both sides have settled and true acceptance has occurred."

"But darling, I come bearing gifts," Angelique plead gently. "Surely you'll allow me this?"

"In a day or two, mother." Calista answered firmly. "Not tonight."

Angelique looked wounded and hurt. "Very well, then, my darling." She stated, sounding as if she might cry. "At your convenience, of course." Casting a sharp glance at the twins who'd accompanied her, she turned to leave. Both quickly scurried out obediently behind her.

Only when they were gone well beyond sensing any of them did Calista dare breath again. Audra paler than before. Had all of that really happened? "Sit, Audra." Calista directed gently, pouring her a glass of wine. She really did look ready to faint. "Just breathe a moment." Maria looked up at Adonis, her eyes sad. "What is she going to do to those two girls?" she asked, whispering in his ear.

"I don't know," he said in a rough whisper. It pained him to think about it. Magni knew his presence frightened Audra but he sat across from her and smiled. "It has been a very long time that I felt the need to defend someone so strenuously, Audra. Thank you for reminding me what I'm supposed to do. Strength's no good if it isn't used wisely."

Audra glanced at him timidly. "I ....am yours now?" she asked sadly, trying to make sense of it all.

"No, my dear," he said gently. "You are your own person but, in the ridiculous terms of that place you come from, legally yes you are mine. Do you want to know what you can do for me?"

Audra looked up at him, the fear slowly replaced with curiosity. Slowly, she nodded.

"Live here with these people as you always have, if that's what you want. Make them happy and be happy and at peace yourself," he said simply.

"Vati rubbed off on you," Maria said softly.

"Your father's a wise man, Maria," Magni said with an easy shrug.

Audra looked stunned as Artemis let out a whoop of joy and ran to her side, throwing her arms around the much tinier woman.

"Come now, Audra," Adonis said as he knelt next to her and his twin. "Don't be so surprised that we love you. You're family," he added as he kissed her cheek very gently.

Wrapping them both in her deceptively strong arms, Audra drew them near, holding them as she had so often as children. "I love you too," she whispered through joyful tears.

Pas put an arm around Calista and rested his cheek against hers. ~~I'm sorry, Calista, but I couldn't take much more of that woman today. I find I'm getting inflexible about that in my old age.~~

Wrapping her arms around his waist, Calista admitted with a rueful smile. ~~So am I, my love. So am I.~~

He nodded toward their children gathered around Audra. ~~I really ought to thank whatever gods, good will, or spirits there are that our boy met Maria. That happy little coincidence really was the key."

Jaresh suddenly stomped his foot and demanded. "Time to eat..." Nudging people toward the table, he grinned like a fool, "No more waiting. No more arguing. No more ugly people at the door. We're all here. Sit down! Sit down!" After a moments pause, he nodded his agreement. "You tell them Porkchop. See, he's hungry." His long arms nearly encompassing everyone in the room, he stopped nudging and drew them all together, clearly intending to carry them all to the table.

Adonis gave Audra a quick extra hug before he stood up to rejoin Maria. "He gets very insistent," he told her as he sat down,

"Who's Porkchop?" Maria asked.

Adonis looked at Mika, who shrugged at him, as if to say 'you're on your own with this'. "I'll explain later."

Magni nodded at Jaresh.  "Wise pig you have there, my friend."

Jaresh nodded, "He's been with me since the parting. I don't know what I'd have done without him."

Magni held a hand out to his side, as if to invite the pig to sniff it and get to know him. "Always good to have friends who know you from before," he said easily. "Maria's dad is the closest I have to that but that's not the same as Porkchop I'm sure."

Jaresh shrugged slightly, though a slight chill seemed to fall around the room and his eyes seemed to change to reflect the choppy waters of a stormy sea. His voice carried an almost frightening hollow resonance, "Maybe it is. You're among those who will never really know you or understand, though some may try. You were blessed enough to have one who would stand by you always, even when the others no-one else can see come with their loud shadow voices and their plans and powers changing things and battling until it's settled whether the changes become real or remain shadow. The hidden ones are always here whether you see them or not." He looked at Magni closely, uncertainly, the boyishness returning as the room warmed and the storm in his eyes cleared away. In the merry voice they all knew, he stated. "Look, I think he likes you. No feeding him under the table though, okay. He has his own dish."

"Of course not," Magni said. "It'll only teach bad manners to him." But he'd understood everything Jaresh had meant, too. It was hard, at times, to be, to put it mildly, different.

Jaresh grinned. He liked this one.

"Jaresh, maybe we could each be poured a glass of wine?" Pas asked. "I think we need a toast to celebrate."

Jaresh nodded and moved to comply, only to find Audra already drawing out the glasses and pouring them herself.

Adonis squeezed Maria's hand under the table. He had liked her to begin with but this just cemented it completely. The family hadn't been so collectively happy in a while, not with his grandmother's threats hanging over them all. "Make sure you get one for yourself, too, Audra."

Audra nodded slightly, trying hard not to look surprised, as she poured a very small amount for herself.

Pas waited until everyone had a glass then he raised his slightly. "I think we have several honors that are in order. First and foremost, I think I can speak for us all when I say that we are glad that our smallest but not least family member is still with us."

All glasses were raised in agreement as Audra blushed, a slight hint on color tingeing her pale features.

"Welcome home, Audra." Calista told her with a smile. "It's about time."

"And, once again, our thanks to Captain Asgardson for making that possible," Pas continued after a sip.

Magni shook his head. "No, really, it was an honor and a privilege to help."

Even so, Audra felt it necessary to whisper a silent thank you to him alone.

"We are all in your debt. Thank you so much," Calista said aloud for all of them.

Pas gave his wife a mental caress. He still adored the woman after all their years together and she always knew the right thing to say. "Exactly so, imzadi," he said, dark eyes smiling. He looked at his younger daughter, the smile becoming decidedly more sweet. "And last but never least, it seems our first grandchild will be joining us. Our children have always been a blessing so I know theirs will be, too."

Artemis snickered at that one. Oh, yeah. They'd been real gems.

~~Shush up, Artemis~~ Adonis said to his sister. ~~I'll get in trouble if I start laughing.~~

"So peace upon us all," Pas concluded. All raised their glasses again. It did indeed seem they would all have peace at last.