[ussbansheec] "Meeting the Parents"

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:50:11 -0400

"Meeting the Parents"
Anna, Moria, Mac McEntire, and friends

The trees around the house were starting to change colors, sprinkling the lawn
with dots of orange, yellow, red. The summer flowers in her mother's garden
were giving way to the warm beauty of the fall flowers, and there was just a
touch of a cool autumn breeze. Moria stepped out on the back porch barefoot and
wearing only Sam's long dark shirt. The smile that had broke out the moment
she'd stepped through the front door the night before was still firmly fixed to
her face. Coming home for the weekend had been just what Moria had needed.
Sniffing the air she smiled at the unexpected scent of a grill. Making her way
off the pouch to the side of the house where her father's grill and the picnic
tables were, she beamed at the sight that greeted her.

Noah was holding a platter of hamburgers and hotdogs for Dr. McEntire when he
saw Moria finally come around the side of the house. "We were stating to think
you'd never get up, Little Hummingbird.

Moria smiled. "Well here I am." Walking over to the table pecked her mother on
the cheek and then picked up cold hotdog and took a bite. "Since we do we have
barbeque for breakfast?"

"Breakfast? It's nearly one o'clock." Noah laughed.

"Oh." Moira replied, her cheeks blushing pink.

"But do you feel better, precious?" Anna asked as she dropped a steak onto the
barbeque.

Moria beamed. "Much, I really needed to come home. I just hope I don't feel
worse when we go back."

"Oh precious," Anna sighed. "You're getting terribly homesick, aren't you?"

Slipping onto the bench next to Joseph, Moria blushed.

Noah frowned. He hadn't realized that Moria hadn't been telling her mother the
truth about how bad she'd been feeling.

Leaning in very close to Moria's ear, Joseph whispered, "Tell your mother,
Hummingbird. She loves you, she's worried about you. There's nothing that you
can say that will make her worry more. Telling her the truth will, more than
likely, make her feel better."

Anna smiled an odd little smile. She liked Moria's friends, they were good for
her, now she just prayed that it was only homesickness that was bothering her
little girl.

Moria sighed. "I'm suppose to be a grown up now." She huffed. She would have
pulled her knees to her chest, but that wasn't gonna happen with the shirt she
wore. "Sometimes I'm ok." She watched PJ's old tabby cat as he followed a
butterfly through the flowers across the yard. "Sometimes it hurts so much I
cry myself to sleep." She finally admitted, then glared at Joseph.

Wide eyed and with an aching heart, Anna moved over to Moria. When Joseph stood
up, she took his seat and wrapped her daughter in her arms. "Oh precious," she
cooed. There was nothing she could do for her except try and visit her more
often.

"I'll get better at it, Mummy, I promise." Moria said softly as she hugged her
mother back. "I don't mean to be such a baby."

"Oh precious! It doesn't make you a baby, it just makes you normal." Stroking
the girl's hair, Anna said, "It means we did something right, your father and
I, to have you missing home so much."

Noah smiled from where he stood with Joseph. They'd told her she wasn't being a
baby, and that even they missed home still, maybe now she'd listen.

"Even though I've been there a whole half a semester and it still hurts?" Moria
asked. Ignoring her friend's smirk.

"D'you think I'm a baby because I miss Australia so much?" Anna asked carefully.

Moria shook her head. "No."

"Because it's different to miss a place then it is to be nearly nineteen and
missing your Mummy and Dad." Moria answered. "I just wish I could have it both
ways, that I could be home here and be home there." Moria blinked, that didn't
even make sense to her.

Chuckling, Anna nodded. "I know the feeling."

"Me too," Joseph piped up. "Only, I have more homes than I know what to do
with." Counting them off on his fingers, he said, "ch'Rihan, Dorvan V, Hawaii,
Australia, Oklahoma... just to name a few."

"Ouch," Anna grimaced in sympathy as she held out her arms for him to join them
on the bench. When he did, she cuddled one arm around him and kept her other
around Moria. "And you're always welcome here, both of you."

"Oh man, another home," he said with mock sadness. "I think I collect them."

Moria cheered quiet a bit at her mother's acceptance of her friends. Noah and
Joseph had become very important to her and she'd actually been worried about
her parents reactions to them.

Noah bowed his head respectfully. "Thank you, Doctor McEntire." Then he smiled,
looked at Joseph and said, "You forgot Bajor." Then looked at Anna and Moria.
"Ya know despite the severity of her homesickness, Moria's not doing to bad
over all. Are you Little Hummingbird."

"I guess not." Moria replied. "Classes are going well, though I wouldn't mind
having James around to help with my math classes, oh when I get back I start a
new job at the campus counseling center and Noah's going to teach me how to
scuba dive so I can go with him to the Reef."

Noah blinked. "I am?"

Moria laughed. "Yeap."

Joseph snorted. "Volunteering people again, little Hummingbird?"

Beaming, Anna couldn't help but let her relief spread over her face. "That's
wonderful."

"You started it when you volunteered him to..." She stopped herself before she
could finish. She had a lot of work to do before she could get her tattoo and
she didn't want to tell anyone about it yet. "Hey! Who forgot the crisps?"
Jumping off the bench she dashed back towards the house.

Noah blinked. "Does anyone else ever feel like the hare to her tortoise?"

Anna laughed loudly as she watched her daughter bound away. "Try it with five
of them."

"She shifts gears faster then Sam's Mustang." Noah laughed and shook his head.
"She's really a great kid, Ma'am."

"I'd say thank you but half the time I'd say it's a miracle they turned out
half as well as they have." When she felt Joseph cuddle her tighter, Anna gave
him an odd look.

"Hey," he shrugged, "I miss my Ri'nanov, I gotta get my cuddles somewhere,
right?"

"Very true," Anna chuckled as she tightened her grip on him.

Moria was in the house pulling a pair of jeans on straight from the drier, when
she thought she'd heard something, but when she didn't hear it again she
shrugged and then ducked into the pantry to get the crisps. As she was heading
back outside and over to the table she heard it again. The distinct sound of
something coming up the track from the main road. "I thought Dad had to work
till seven?" She asked as she dropped the bags on the table then picked up
another raw hotdog.

"He does," Anna said, frowning. Letting Joseph go, she moved around the front
of the house to see a motorbike approach. "Hmm."

Following her mother to the front of the house, Moria watched as the bike came
up the track and then stopped at the foot of the driveway. As soon as she saw
him she knew who it was. A bright smile lit up her face as she ran towards him.

Sam climbed off the bike and took his helmet off just in time catch Moria as
she wrapped her arms around his neck. He smiled before leaning in and kissing
her.

Anna blinked. Inside, she did cartwheels. Outside, she sculpted her face into a
glare. "Welcome to my home. I'm Doctor McEntire," she said, offering her hand
out to the stranger.

"Jolan'tru, Doctor McEntire." Sam said firmly but with a bit of a smile in his
voice. He held Moria with one arm, and shook her mother's hand with the other.
"I apologize for just showing up like this, lhhei, but I didn't realize when I
told Moria I couldn't come up that my parents would be on Californian."

Moria bit her lip and blushed brightly. "This is Samual tr'Illialhlae, Mummy.
He goes to flight school with Hawk."

"Come round the back," Anna said stiffly as she strode off.

At the look on Doc Mac's face, Joseph raised a Vulcan-like brow. "What's up?"

"Samual?"

"Ah," was all Joseph said.

Moria watched her mother heading back to where they'd left the boys and
frowned.

"Perhaps I should have called?" Sam asked.

"Or maybe I should have told her I was seeing someone." Moria replied softly.
Looking up into Sam's honey eyes, she'd expected to see hurt there because she
hadn't told her mother about him, but it wasn't there.

Sam hugged her. "Well she knows now."

Moria sighed. "Come on Joseph and Noah are in the back, it'll be better with
possible witnesses."

"You know, Doc Mac, he's a very nice guy," Joseph insisted. When he saw her
wink at him, he frowned. What the hell was she cooking up?

"So, you're a navigator then?" Anna asked even after Joseph had just got done
telling her how he was a pilot. "The brains of the outfit rather than a
glorified taxi driver?"

Blinking Moria looked absolutely horrified.

"Actually, lhhei I'm more of glorified limo driver. My navigator wouldn't be
caught dead in a taxi." Sam answered carefully.

"Ah, just a pilot." When she turned her back on her daughter and her boyfriend,
Anna let the smirk play across her face, finding it hard to hold in the
laughter.

Joseph couldn't look at Doc Mac, he's have started giggling. Instead, he stared
fixedly at his hands and glared.

"So," Anna said, smoothing her face as she turned back. "You think you're good
enough for my daughter, do you?"

Noah couldn't help but feel sorry about Sam, but that didn't mean he wasn't
enjoying the show.

"Mummy!" Moria shouted, her eyes wide and her face crimson.

Sam never flinched. "No, Ihhei, I'm not by far but I shall try my best to come
close."

It was a very hard fight, but Anna managed to keep the scowl on her face for
thirty more seconds before she burst out laughing. "Good answer, spot on.
Welcome to my home," she said as she beamed. "You're more than welcome here."

"Hann'yyo, Ihhei." Sam replied with a warm smile as he inclined his head
downward slightly.

Moria let go of the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. Her whole
body seem to relax when her mother laughed and her face had softened. "Mummy!
That was so mean!"

Noah laughed. "You should see what Mrs. Swiftwind does to the boys who are
brave enough to date her girls."

"Oh yeah, I dread to think what she's gonna do to the poor girls who even blink
near me and Matt," Joseph chuckled. "Ri'nanov's a terror at times." Then he
laughed loudly. "No, she's a wolf."

Moria huffed. "It was still mean."

"It could have been worse, Mo." Sam said soft as he wrapped his arms around
her. "She could have really hated me. Now you have nothing to worry about
anymore and we can't stop avoiding places you think your hru'diranov might be."

Moria groaned and elbowed Sam in the ribs. Why did all the guys she had around
her have big mouths?

Hru'diranov, Anna mouthed at Joseph.

Flowing to his feet, Hawk slid his arm around the older woman's waist and
leaned in as if he would kiss her, where he was actually whispering,
"Grandfather."

Anna rolled her eyes at the young man as she pecked him on the cheek. "My
father is a bit of a monster. I'd avoid him the best you can."

"See I told you." Moria stuck her tongue out at Sam and then smirked.

"I simply did not want you avoiding things you like on my account." Sam replied.

Anna snorted. "Oh yes, he's a real treat."

"Just think," Joseph teased, "you'll get to meet him at the wedding."

"Wedding?" Sam asked with his brow raised.

Moria threw her half eaten raw hot dog at him and once again turned a bright
crimson. "Bloody hell your as bad as my brothers."

"You'll look for any excuse to do that silly human chicken dance thing." Noah
teased.

"Oh yeah," Joseph chimed. "A nice, big, fancy wedding." He put a serious look
on his face. "And lots of kids for me to spoil. Uncle Hawk, I like the sound of
that."

Sam swallowed hard. "Kids?"

Noah roared. "Sure, Sam kids with red hair and pointy ears."

"Um. Well, maybe..." Sam turned a light sage color. "I mean, no need to make
the maenek a grandmother so soon."

Moria blinked.

"Two boys and two girls," Anna inserted. Her eyes went wistful as she imagined
it.

If Sam was still around after this then Moria knew she'd really gotten a good
thing. "Mummy! Your not helping." Sighing Moria added, "It could be worse. My
brothers, sisters, and Dad could be here."

Sam blinked but grinned.

"Your father will be home soon," Anna said. "And then the poor boy will really
get it."

"Oooo, Daddy Mac." Laughing merrily, Joseph sniffed and wrinkled his nose. "Is
something burning?"

"Bollox!" Anna scurried off and started attending to the barbeque.

Moria laughed. "Ooo! Hawk you got my Mummy to swear! I'm telling Vixxy."

"Don't you dare," Anna stuck her tongue out. "She'll only frown at me."

"Your daughter tells you off?" Joseph asked in shock. If any of his siblings
ever told Ri'nanov off, she'd skin them alive.

"Only for swearing." Flipping a burger, she grinned.

"My little sister detests swearing." Moria explained. "She's always yelling me
and James', more at James though cause his favorite phrase is "fuck knows." I'm
not nearly that bad."

Sam smirked. "Expect for everything being bloody this or bulllocks that."

"Bollox not bulllocks. I stopped saying bullslocks when I was nine." Moria
huffed playfully. "And would you kindly stop telling my Mummy that I swear."
She added and then smacked his shoulder.

"Precious, I'm not stupid nor am I deaf. I've known that you swear like a
docker for years." When the first round of food was cooked, Anna presented it
all with a flourish. "Future son-in-laws first," she added with a wink.

Moria blushed and so did Sam.

"I have to admit, Ihhei, your not acting the way I had expected." Sam said as
he took a hamburger. Noting the look he was getting from Moria he explained.
"Not many parents are comfortable with their daughters dating some like me."

Noah huffed.

"Huh?" Joseph said. "What d'you mean, someone like you? You're the same as me,
aren't you?"

Sam nodded. "We are Rihannsu. There are still Humans out there who do not trust
us."

"Yeah well Humans are stupid." Moria replied before fully thinking that
statement out. "Err, well, some of them are, not all of us."

Anna's eyes flickered into sadness a little. "Never meet my father, rekkhei,"
she said softly. "He'd hate you anyway but being Rihannsu..."

"And a hybrid," Joseph asked slowly.

"Would only make it worse."

"He hated my Dad and my Dad's as human as they come." Moria told him. "Big
blonde haired, blue eyed, jock type."

Sam reached out and brushed Moria's hair from her shoulder and nodded in
understanding. "Then we will run from what ever opera we have to too avoid
him." Then he looked at Anna and smiled, "You may call me Sam or Samual if
you'd like, Ihhei."

Moria blushed when she realized she's introduced him. She was still getting use
to a lot of his cultural stuff.

"Thank you, Sam. You can call me Anna, calling me ma'am just makes me feel old."

"Aww, but you're not old, you're beautiful." Once again, Joseph slid his arms
around the woman but this time he pressed his lips against hers in a passionate
yet chaste kiss. When he let her go, he winked and beamed at her slightly
flushed face.

Touching her lips, Anna smiled and shook her head. "Don't let my husband catch
you doing that."

"OI!" Moria shouted, sounding a little to much like James in that moment.
"That's my Mummy ya know!"

Sam laughed.

"What?" Joseph asked innocently. "Did the lady find it unpleasant?"

"Well no..." Anna said but was cut off by Joseph doing it again, sweeping her
low and holding her tightly. This kiss was a little less chaste and when he set
her back down, she said primly, "That's quite enough of that, thank you."

Moria huffed and nodded. "Yeah stop kissing my Mummy. It's gross."

This time Sam and Noah both laughed.

"What?" Moria asked and then blushed. "You all know what I mean!"

Noah laughed harder. "Don't tell me you still believe in the virgin birth
theory all kids believe in at some point."

"No," Moria answered throwing a bun at him. "But it doesn't need to be an open
topic thank you very much."

"Well quite," Anna agreed only to get a mischievous look in her eyes as she
added, "My husband is far too good in bed for me to even look at another man."

Joseph blushed light green as he grabbed a burger and used it to hide his face.

Moria groaned and buried her head in Sam's chest. "They got her started!"

Sam looked confused. "Started on what?"

"Mac," Anna said dreamily. "My handsome, gorgeous, wonderful, sweet, loving and
above all sexy husband."

"And easily kept modest,"Mac added with a laughed as he came around the side of
the house. "With someone to do my bragging so well for me."

"Hey sweetie," Anna said as she sauntered over to him and kissed him lightly.
"We have visitors."

"My heart is broken," Joseph sighed heavily before munching into another
burger.  "Whatever shall I do without you, Doc Mac my sweet?"

Moria groaned and threw another hotdog at Joseph. Then got up and smiled at her
Dad. "Hi Dad." Walking over, she gave him a big hug.

"Hello, baby girl," Mac smiled, kissing her on top of her head as he hugged her
tightly. Turning to Joseph, he answered with a wink, "As for you, young man,
the best I can suggest is a large bottle of hand lotion and the privacy of the
hallway bathroom, because the good doctor here is taken."

"Daddy!" Moria protested as she thumped his chest before burying her face in it.

Joseph laughed merrily.  "Too bad, she's beautiful."

Giving the boy a falsely disappointed look, Anna said, "You give up very
easily.  Shouldn't there be duels and tragedy and such?"

"Or at least a good drag race," Sam added.

Flashing bright white teeth, Joseph nodded.  "Now there's a plan.  First over
the finish line wins the fair doctor."

"The fair doctor is spoken for," Anna informed him, sliding an arm around Mac's
waist.  Rolling her eyes at them all, she smirked as she led her husband over
to the barbeque.  "Hungry sweetheart?"

"Starved, but not for food. Excuse us," Mac laughed as he lifted Anna easily
and ran inside the house.

Slipping into the seat next to Sam, Moria sighed. "My parent are utterly
hopeless."

Sam laughed and put his arm around her. "Better to have hopeless parents with a
sense of humor then up tight ones with a warp core up their..."

"Sam!" Moira protested.

Sam laughed harder. "Nose."