[ussbansheec] Kill Shot

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 16:42:03 -0500

_Kill Shot_

By Aidoaneth & Aneirin S'Ghaladriel and M'rc'r'l Reynam
/"There are 4 kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy."--Ambrose Bierce/

A strong man's hand held the little boy's, silently readjusting the position of the boy's fingers on the knife. The boy's face was as sober as any of his mother's people but the look in his eyes as he listened to his father was not of those desert dwellers. It was excited, bright and attentive, and he was having fun.

"Remember, child," the man said, his voice warm as he knelt next to the boy. "If all you have is the kaleh then make your shot count. Once it is thrown, you are unarmed and, if you miss, your opponent has your kaleh. Only a fool dies by having his own weapon turned against him."

It took but a moment for a strong right hand to find the ornate knife at its owner's waist, aim at its target, then throw. In that moment, as he knew the throw would strike true, his father's words ran through his head. The woman, had he missed, would surely have turned the knife on him and then, Elements and Fates forefend, on Sabine.

He supposed it was naïve of him to think the woman would take his discontinuation of the relationship calmly but there was no choice. A Rihanha with no Name, with no House, was no Rihanha at all and he was most definitely his father's son. That did not stop the woman from confronting him and Sabine as they walked together on DSVP's promenade , as they talked of everything and anything. The woman was a tactical officer; of course she had access to weapons. He just didn't think she would actually threaten him, never mind Sabine, in public.

"Don't do it," he snapped, raising his voice to be heard over the woman's ranting. The phaser moved, pointing toward him and away from Sabine, and he took the opportunity to shove Sabine. "Go," he hissed. "Run, Sabine. Go to your father or to mine. Just go!"

That was when he saw the mad woman turn her aim back in Sabine's direction. He didn't look to see if Sabine had done as he asked. The trained physician's eye saw the muscles in the woman's arm tense, saw the finger start to move and, in less than a heartbeat, his kaleh was thrown through the base of her throat and severing the spinal cord. An island of calm now that his e'lev was safe, he waited, hands patiently at his side, for station Security. He didn't move and barely breathed then offered no resistance when they arrived along with a medic. "Damn," the medic, a man with intense blue eyes, said with a low whistle as he leaned to inspect the body. "That was a kill shot," he said with no small amount of admiration and fascination. He looked up at the Security officer who had his weapon trained on Aneirin. "Through the trachea and straight on to the spinal cord, Lieutenant. If spinal cord hadn't've done it, then exsanguination or suffocation would have."

The lieutenant shot the doctor an exasperated look. "Thanks for colorful report, Dr. Reynam. Whatever would we do without you?"

"Be bored as hell," came the prompt reply. The doctor left the body to stand in front of Aneirin, covered in bright red blood, vibrant eyes looking him over from head to toe. He noted the pointed ears then asked, "I can tell this isn't your blood but I would be remiss if I didn't ask if you're injured."

"I'm fine," Aneirin said stiffly, his eyes darting sideways. He saw Sabine still there and bit back a sigh. He wished that she hadn't seen any of this. "You're Aneirin tr'Ghaladriel?" the lieutenant asked as he read the PADD his junior officer handed him. At Aneirin's slight nod, he shook his head. "Sir, pending the investigation, I need to place you under arrest for murder."

Aneirin looked at Sabine, his eyes sad. "I'm sorry, Sabine. Please call my father."

--
Ua mau ke ea o ka `âina i ka pono `o Hawai'i