[ussbansheec] "First Day at Mutant High"

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:33:35 -0500

"First Day at Mutant High"
Newlyn, Amelia, Blake, Brent, & Fin Davis, and various X-People

*Takes place before Fire and Ice

It was huge. It really bloody huge! Fin was positive that the school was bigger then their village back in Scotland. Hell for all he knew it could be bigger then Scotland herself! As he stood in the main foyer with his parents and his brother he looked around. Back home a house like this would have belong to some lord or lady like the purple haired woman who’d come to talk to them about the school. Fin was getting a little more nervous about this as was evident by the dimming lamp he was standing next too.

Brent was doing absolutely everything in his power not to touch his brother because he knew if he did, the whole place would go black and probably pop like corn. Instead, he tried to stay behind his mother, only peering out to stare at things.

Smiling softly at the two twins, Betsy offered her hand to Newlyn. "Welcome back, Mr Davis. You've had a tour of the mansion before but would you like to join us while we show your boys round?"

"Sure, Amelia?" Newlyn watched as Brent took his mother's hand and held tightly despite being eleven and reportedly way too old for childishness.

The twins’ reaction was so totally different then Blake’s had been, but that really didn’t surprise Amelia. The twins were different period. “I think they’d feel better if we tagged along.”

Fin’s attention had drifted towards movement at the end of the hall. He blinked. Was that a huge blue cat that had just walked down a set of stairs? He wasn’t quite sure if that was weird and creepy or cool as hell.

"Okay then," Betsy said with a cheerful lilt. "First let's set you up in your rooms then we'll take a quick tour of the school rooms and then out to the playing fields and recreation rooms. You can go most places in the school except down in the basement. That is restricted to teachers and a few of the older students." She was, of course, thinking of poor William who, at almost twice the age of these two boys, would be taking the same lessons as they were simply because he progress had been so slow since he'd been saved.

“How come?” Fin asked as they started walking down a long hallway. As they neared the wing of the house that was used as dorms he started to see more kids. All of these kids were like him, Brent, and Blake? He’d never guessed so many would be so different.

"Have you ever been on a starship? Or in a factory?" Betsy asked.

Fin nodded and smiled brightly. “My Auntie V is in Starfleet. She’s a captain. She’s the captain of a really big carrier ship with lots of cool fighters. Brent and I got to see it once when the ship was docked here. We got to go with our cousins.”

"So I'm sure there were parts of the ship that you weren't allowed into, parts where you had to be supervised in and parts where you could roam freely?" Betsy said.

"Sure," Brent said with a shrug. "We weren't allowed in Engineering but we could play on the Bridge as long as we didn't touch anything."

"Then this is like that exactly," Betsy nodded.

What was in the basement that was like a starship? Looking at Brent he told him they’d have to find out what was down there in frintish and then smiled. When he looked back at Ms. Braddock he asked, “We get to share a room right? Cause we do at home, we don’t like being apart.”

"You'll be together in one of the boys' dorms," she nodded. "Through here." She led them into a long room with two rows of six beds each. "You're the last two on the right. Is that okay? We can easily swap you around."

Fin looked at his brother and then talked it over for a moment before Fin nodded. “That’s fine.”

“Boys,” Amelia warned softly. “That’s rude.”

"How come?" Brent asked, his head tilted.

Betsy chuckled at the two of them. "It's alright, Mrs. Davis. We have telepaths and foreign students here. It doesn't matter so long as they do all their homework in Standard and don't use it to disrupt classes."

“It’s not exactly a foreign language.” Amelia replied with a soft smile. “It’s their own, they’ve used it since before they could speak Standard.”

Telepaths, Fin had read about those. He’d have to make sure that he’d have to think some of his thoughts in frintish too. Going over to the bed where his things where he made a quick check that everything was there, especially Cooper his stuffed bloodhound. Unfortunately his dad had found Auntie Maggie’s pin and wouldn’t let him bring her, she’d have made this all so much better.

Brent yabbered something to Fin, asking if he could have the bed under the window. Dropping his bag next to his brother's, he sat on the other bed and stared at the rest of the dorm. "How come we don't get a room for just us two?"

"We really don't have the room," Betsy told them. "Besides, it's part of the learning to accept others."

Fin let Brent have the bed by the window and then looked up. “Blake doesn’t sleep here does he?” "No, he's in the dorm for older students," Betsy said with a frown. Perhaps the boy was as disruptive at home as he was in school.’’

He didn’t mean to but Fin actually sighed in relief. Blake was the worst thing about having to come to this school.

Brent let out the same sigh then blushed brightly and grinned. "He's a dork," he said to cover their slip.

Letting it go, Betsy moved to stand by the door. "Would you like your tour now?"

“Sure!” Fin was getting into it a little more. He didn’t want to live away from his parents, but he knew they were only a transporter away and Grace would be close by soon enough. She was getting ready to start taking her academy exams. As they made their way down another long hall he knew he was gonna end up getting lost. “What kinda classes are we gonna take?”

"All classes," Betsy said. "English, Science, Art, Physical Education, Modern Culture, History, Geography plus extra lessons on how to adapt to your mutation."

She’d said the word as if she were telling him they’d teach him something as simple as riding a bike. “We tend to fry things. That’s why Brent is over there by Mama and I’m here by Dad. It took Dad a whole day to rewire the house the last time Brent and me were playing tag.”

“They’re version of tag is a little different.” Amelia chuckled softly.

“We didn’t mean to come close to the house.” Fin added.

"We didn't mean to zap Auntie Maggie either," Brent said softly.

"Don't worry," Betsy said. "After a term here, you'll have a lot more control over your powers. Though my own gifts are slightly different, one of them comes close. Perhaps when we're outside, I'll show you."

Ororo was sitting at her desk when Betsy walked in with the two new students they’d been waiting on. They were on the younger end of the age scale and she and Charles thought it best to let Betsy show them around since she’d been the one Charles had sent to talk to the Davis when their oldest son was discovered. She smiled warmly at them, having meet the parents before. “Good to see you again Mr. and Mrs. Davis.” She greeted as she stood gracefully. “And the two of you must be Brenton and Finton.”

Brent nodded though his eyes were wide and he knew he was staring. Turning to Fin, he murmured that the teachers here were all really pretty, then went back to sort of but not quite staring. Big blue cats and pretty teachers. Why did Blake hate it here so much? “He’s Brent,” Fin said as is pointed at his brother. He’d never seen anyone with dark skin, white hair, and blue eyes before and she had an accent too. “I’m Fin.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you both.” Ororo smiled brightly. She was use to all kinds of students reactions to meeting her, and they sweet looks on these faces were far better then the scowl she often gets from their brother. “It looks like you’ll both be in one of my fundamental history classes and I’ll also be one of adults working with you on your powers.”

"Oh cool!" Brent said then quickly blushed again and coughed. "I mean... that'd be nice..."

Newlyn had to cover his mouth with his hand to stop from laughing. "And to think you've both been so nervous, eh?"

Amelia smiled as she put her hand on Brent’s shoulder. She’d cry herself to sleep later, her babies weren’t babies and they would be at home in their rooms that night, but for now she was as positive as she could be. “Might not be such a terrible thing after all?”

“Blake didn’t say it was like this.” Fin said honestly and then added. “Still wish we could’ve brought Maggie.” He mumbled something to his brother about having to eat yank food.

Brent shrugged and said back about that meaning hot dogs and burgers so he was well and truly cool with it. "It's all good," Brent added cheerfully. "Our brother said this place was full of..." Now how could he put this without sounding just as obnoxious as his brother? "Full of strange people."

"Freaks?" Betsy offered as an alternative, knowing full well that the older Davis had indeed said that to her face. "That we may be but we're proud of it."

“Yeah, that’s a one of the nicer words.” Fin replied. “Only he’s too stupid to realize he’s talking about himself too.”

“Fin.” Amelia warned.

"WEll it's true," Brent objected. "Both stupid and like us. Wish it was just me and Fin."

"Brent," Newlin sighed. "Be nice, okay?"

Fin smiled brightly. “We are the nice ones.” Catching his patents looks he decided it was best to change the subject away from Blake so he looked at Ms. Braddock and the most important questions he had. “You got football here? Real football, not yank football.”

"Of course we have football!" Betsy sniffed. "Both the headmaster and I are full blooded Brits, you know. Personally, I'm a Chelsea supporter. I won't have any of those Machurian upstarts."

"Aberdeen!" Brent laughed. "Best in the Scottish Premiership! Go Dons..."

“Our cousin John would love you.” Fin replied with a laugh. “He’s gonna play for Chelsea.”

Catching sight of her own son Ororo called him into the room. He was in their peer group and would share several classes with them. “How would you two like to check out the play areas?”

“Sure.” Fin replied.

“This is my son Logan,” She told them as a dark skinned boy around their age came into the room. His hair was dark and wild like his father‘s, and he had Logan’s build, though Ororo’s height and blue eyes. “Jay, these are the Davis twins. Would you mind showing them the school from a student’s point of view.”

“You mean the fun stuff.” Jay replied with a smirk.

Ororo held back a smile. “Yes, the fun stuff.”

“Sure. I was gonna meet Wills down in the yard.” He looked at the twins and blinked. “Whos who and how do we tell?”

"You can't," Brent cackled wickedly then grinned. "But I'm Brent and he's Fin. Blake keeps offering to give one of us a scar so people can tell us apart but then we said we'd fry his..."

"Brent!" Newlyn snapped, knowing exactly where that comment was leading.

"Hair," Brent huffed. "So if you're Logan, how come you're called Jay too?"

“Logan‘s my Poppa‘s name too.” Jay replied as he waved at the adults and started to head for the door. “Middle name’s James so I get called Jay. Even Momma calls me Jay and she normally calls everyone by their full names.”

"We noticed," Brent sniffed in amusement. "We're just Brent and Fin but she called us Brenton and Finton."

Jay laughed. “Get use to it. So you meet anyone other then my Momma and Aunt Bets?”

"You," Brent shrugged. "Seen a few of the other students plus a really big blue cat. Or could've been a bear."

That made the other boy laugh out loud. “That’s Uncle Hank. He’s our doctor, he also teaches biology and Shakespeare. He’s the coolest, just don’t eat his Twinkies. Wait till you meet Uncle Kurt and his sons. They look like blue elves, though Uncle Kurt has a tail. Either of you flyers?”

"Not that we know of," Brent said slowly. "We zap things."

“Me either, my sister got our Momma’s powers so she’s a flyer.” Jay huffed. His sisters got cool powers, all he could do was use his healing factor to heal other people too, though he did draw off elemental currents to do it. When they reached a large but private yard just beyond one of his mother’s gardens he pointed to an older boy with wings. “That’s William, he’s a flyer and really kinda shy. Spooks easy too so don’t tell him you’re Black Blake’s brothers.”

Brent looked at the other boy and considered him. He looked much older than them but he also looked kinda vulnerable too, which was just weird since he was much bigger than them. "Like we'd ever want to admit to that. We did once suggest Mama have him adopted but it was a no-go."

“Not like anyone would want him anyway.” Fin added. “I don’t even think the Borg would take him.”

"The Borg don't take any of us," a soft voice said. William approached the group carefully, glad they were out in the open so he could escape easily. "Who would you have assimilated anyway?"

"No one," Brent shrugged. "Except annoying people."

Smirking slightly, William turned his mirror eyes on the twins. "Some annoying people can be fun. I'm annoying, right Jay?"

“Your annoying in a good way, bird-boy.” Jay teased with a grin. Despite the fact he was closer to Lexie in age, William was his best friend. “This is Brent and Fin, they just got here.” He gave a bit of a sniff and then added, “They’re cool.” It was his way of letting William know they were safe.

"Cool, eh? That'd make you real lucky for Jay to be calling you that already," William observed.

"Hey, Fin, we're cool. We can be hot too, y'know. We zap things. Or did I already say that?" He was getting too hyped and he knew it but this place was really very fun. He liked all these kids so far, especially Jay and Will.

Fin rolled his eyes. “You said that already.” Then he smiled and asked his brother if he wanted to show them instead of just telling them.

Jay blinked. “What’s that? Romulan?”

"Frintish," Brent said with a grin as he nodded and stepped back so Jay and Will weren't in the firing range. "We're twins. We speak twin languages." Rubbing his fingers together, he formed a ball of electricity in the palm of his hand then tossed it to his brother.

Fin rubbed his hands together before catching the ball with ease. He rolled it around in his palm like playdough making it a little larger and a little more bright before sending it back to Brent. “Our powers get stronger when we’re closer too.”

To prove the point, Brent moved to his brother's side and the ball suddenly leapt in size, doubling then tripling. Finally though, it fizzled out like a damp squib. "We haven't exactly perfected it though."

Turning to look at what he could see of the house Fin sighed in relief. “At least we didn’t cause a black out.”

Jay laughed. “Don’t worry about it. The mansion, the school, the grounds, all been designed to deal with all kinds of powers. Though this spot use to have more trees before my sister started practicing her powers. She nearly caused a brush fire with a stray lightening bolt.” Jay paused a moment and then broke his own rule about holding off on telling William they were Blake’s brothers. “Hey, does that sibling cancellation thing work with you two and Black Blake?”

“Sometimes,” Fin answered. “Though we have zapped him out of whatever form he’s in, but we really really have to build up the zap and then it makes us feel sick for a couple hours.”

“You ain’t use to that much power, you’ll grow out of that.” Jay told them. “Lex passed out a couple times during her training.”

William blinked as he stared at the two boys. He really wouldn't have guessed they were related to Blake if Jay hadn't mentioned it. "You related to the jackass then?" he grunted.

"Yeah but we don't like to mention it," Brent snorted. "We still believe he's our adoptive sibling whose real parents are inbred retards."

At that, William let out a bright, fluting laugh. "Now that I'd go for. He thinks it's funny to pretend to be people and manipulate them. That kid really needs stomping on."

“He’s tried that with us.” Fin rolled his eyes again. “He doesn’t get the twin thing. We can tell when it’s him and not the other, but it’s hard to tell when he does it with other people. He thought it was especially funny to make himself look like our grandfather at our aunts’ anniversary party.” There was clear anger and hurt in Fin’s eyes over that. They didn’t know much about their grandfather, only that he wasn’t a very good man, but the look in their aunt’s eyes… That had been the first time he and Brent found out they could make him lose shape.

"He tried something similar with me but he forgot one fundamental thing," William snorted with clear amusement. "Uncle Logan's sense of smell." He still wasn't sure how Blake had worked out what shape to take to make him freak out but when a Keeper had shown up to their History lesson, William had almost taken flight until Logan had responded to the high pitched screetch.

Jay snarled a little. He’d have beaten the kid if he’d been allowed. He was pretty sure most of the kids on campus would have used their powers against him, but there was that stupid rule about not using powers against classmates even if they use them on you. “I know he’s your brother, but if gives you any trouble then find my Poppa. Can’t miss him, short, grumpy, always in jeans and a flannel shirt, pointy hair, and metal claws that come out of his hands.”

"Oh now that'd be a cool mutation," Brent grinned. "We could be a whole electric circuit if we were made of metal."

"That's Piotr," William corrected. "Uncle Logan's got metal fused to his bones but that's another story."

Maybe this places wasn’t gonna be so bad after all, even if Blake was here. Then he smiled, “We could really nail Blake that way.”

"Pin him to the wall?" Brent offered with an innocent smile.

“Oooo! Electrical nails! We’ve near tried that before!” Fin added.

Brent's grin widened and he started to rub fingers together again, producing a thin sausage of plasma. "Wonder what we should try it on..."

"Not me," William said quickly. "These wings don't do being nailed down any more."

Fin looked at William a moment. Anymore? Who’d nail his wings down? They were really cool looking. Then he frowned. “Did Blake?”

William snorted. "I'm not that weak. A boy that size wouldn't stand a chance against the beat of these wings. No, kid, it wasn't Blake."

“Just had to check.” Fin nodded and then looked at Brent. They looked around and then Fin pointed to a post near the garden. “There?”

"Works for me," Brent said. His tongue stuck out slightly as he aimed then threw the electric projectile. It smashed straight into the post, held its shape for a second then the whole top of the post exploded into a ball of splinters. "OH WAY COOL!!!"

“THAT WAS AWSOME!” Fin added.

Jay laughed. “That was a garden post. One of the major rules of the school “No blowing things up in Ororo’s Gardens.” You’d be surprised how many times that one gets broken especially when Uncle Remy is around.”

"Yeah but it was seriously cool," Brent was still laughing lightly until he saw the look of abject fear that briefly flickered in William's eyes before he took off with quick strokes of his wings.

"I'll be back for dinner," he called before disappearing into the bright blue sky.

Fin watched the boy fly away in awe and then turned to look at Jay. “We didn’t mean to scare him.”

“That’s ok. Like I said, he spooks easy. He’ll get use to you.” Jay told them.

"Nice going, midget," Blake laughed cruelly as he leaned against a post. "It's a work of art scaring the bird man."

Brent turned hurt and angry eyes on his older brother. "That's mean," he snapped. "Will's a nice guy. Why do you have to be mean?"

"Ooo, um, tough one." He made a show of thinking about it then laughed wickedly. "Because it's fun!"

“Because he isn’t smart enough to do anything else.” Fin said as started rubbing his fingers against his palms. It was always better to be ready then caught off guard when parents weren’t around.

Jay snarled. “Bag off asswipe.”

"Ha! So eloquent. Still got clipped claws? Still nothing more impressive than hiding behind your daddy?" Blake laughed in the other boy's face.

Jay took several steps closer to Blake. “I don’t need claws or powers to kick your ass.”

"Really? Not fucking likely," Blake jeered. "You're just a little boy."

“Size has nothing to do with it.” Jay replied as his hands bunched into fists. He’d give as good as he got, difference was he’d heal by morning, Blake wouldn’t.

Brent circled his brother, watching as Fin did the same. His fingers were rubbing against each other, his ball growing in size. But he couldn't use it. He didn't want to hurt their new friend.

Pulling his fist back, Blake thumped Jay hard in the face and pounced on him.

Jay leapt right into the fight punching and kneeing with everything he had. The boy was bigger, older, but he’d been trained by his father. They were both gonna big in deep shit but Jay had stopped caring about that a long time ago when it came to this punk. He was to much like his father to let a bully simply do as he pleased.

Fin looked at Brent, asking what they should do. The others were a tangle of limbs and they couldn’t sure they’d hit Blake without hurting Jay, and Jay didn’t seem the type to take to well to being told to push Blake away so they could zap him.

In Frintish, Brent suggested getting the teachers. He knew it would be dobbing their friend in but what else could they do?

Before Fin could answer both boy sudden froze and were pulled apart like a peanut shell. Snapping his head up he looked around and blinked again at a red-haired woman floating in the air with her arms crossed. His mouth dropped open as he stared.

Jean started down at the Davis boy and her godson wordlessly as she held them in a telekinetic hold.

"I think that's the coolest so far," Brent said very slowly.

“I think she’s the prettiest so far.” Fin replied slowly and softly.

Jean landed softly in the grass, then looked them all over. Two she didn’t know yet, but knew who they were. “I don’t think that will be necessary, Mister Davis.” She warned the one with the energy ball softly yet very firmly.

"Um... yeah, sorry," Brent murmured, fizzling the ball out.

Blake climbed to his feet, blood dripping from his lip.

“Quite the example you’ve both set for our new students.” Jean said in a firm tone that clear meant she wouldn’t tolerate any more nonsense.

Spitting on the ground, all Blake did was shrug then grin as he morphed easily into the spitting image of his twin brothers. "Gee, I'm sowwy, Ms Grey. It was just a mistake. Won't happen again."

Brent glared at his older brother. "That's not even funny!"

“And my hair’s longer.” Fin huffed. He hated it when Blake did that and without thinking zapped him.

Jean looked at the twins and then at the who’d fired off the electrical charge. “Lets not get off on a bad start, Mr. Davis. We do not use powers against each other.”

“But he….” The look in those emerald green eyes made Fin stop. “Yes Ma’am.”

Turning back to the older boys Jean glared. “You’re original form please, Mr. Davis. I do not find you‘re actions the least bit funny.”

Again, Blake morphed, but this time into Jay. "Really? Personally, I think I'm hilarious. Hey, Monroe, how's it feel to know there's a smarter version of you now?"

Snorting softly, Brent moved to stand next to Fin and yabber something in Frintish about what a jackass their brother was and how much trouble he was about to be in.

Jay was about to jump Blake again but once again found himself unable to move, so he simply snarled at him.

“Jay, return to you room and stay there until you are summoned.” Jean told the younger boy as she lifted him off the ground and then set him down facing the direction of the house. She gave her godson a pointed look when he hesitated but once he was heading towards the house she turned back to Blake.

Fin’s jaw dropped as he watched a man bigger then his father and made of shiny steel coming towards them. He looked almost like a knight, only his armor looked as if it were his skin.

“As for you Mr. Davis.” Jean glared at the older boy. “I believe Mr. Rasputin has a few things in mind to keep you busy until the Professor summons you about your behavior.”

Blake shrugged, turning back to himself and moved to follow the metal freak. This place would pay one day. His calculating eyes fixed on Jean and he gave her a cold smile. Pay with interest.

"We're sorry, ma'am," Brent said softly.

Jean had been at this school in one way or another all her life and rarely did she ever get such cold feelings from the children, but that one nearly made her shiver. Turning to look at the twins she nodded. “It will take time for you both to get use to not dealing with your brother. If he is a problem you come to one of the adults, understand?”

Brent nodded slowly. "We'll try to remember. It's hard though."

“Yeah,” Fin agreed. “It’s hard to get along with someone who tried to drown you like kittens in a sack.”

It took a lot for Jean not to blink. “It’ll get easier as you make friends and settle in.” She replied before adding. “You’re parents are finished with Professor and Ms. Munroe. I’ll take you back to the house so you can see them before they leave.”

Brent bit his lip and nodded. Part of him wanted to cling to his parents and go home. It seemed nice enough here but the lat year or so since Blake had left had been wonderful. Almost as if this was how it was meant to be. But now they were back with the evil spawn of Satan and everything was wrong again.

“It’s always a little scary at first,” Jean said in a much softer tone as they headed towards the house.

Fin just nodded before telling Brent he liked the place but he wanted to go home with Mama and Dad.

Brent agreed, though he admitted to liking Jay and Will. "Does Will always get scared so quick?" he asked softly.

Not as much as he use too, Jean thought. “Yes, he’s one of the more reserved students. A good choice in make him a friend. Jay too. Will’s still adjusting, like you are.”

"They're nice," Brent observed. "It was good until Blake ruined it. He ruins everything."

Jean put a gentle hand on Brent’s shoulder as they walked up the steps and towards the common room. “It’s a big school, Brent, and do all we can to make sure all of our students have what they need. It’ll be alright.”

Amelia frowned at the looks on her sons’ faces. They’d been so bright and willing when they’d left, and now they looked as if they were ready to flee.

"Mama!" Brent said brightly as he hugged the woman so tightly it could have hurt.

“Mr. Davis, Mrs. Davis.” Jean said carefully. “It’s good to see you again and under nearly better terms.”

“Well now we know why we haven’t seen Blake.” Amelia sighed as Fin wrapped himself around her other side.

Newlyn sighed. "Please tell me nothing was broken, Ms Grey? Blake hasn't done too much damage?"

All Brent did was hug his mother tighter. Now he definitely wanted to go home and he told his brother that. This was too strange a place, he just wanted home and Maggie.

“There is a busted fence post but I’d think that was Blake’s doing.” She smiled softly at the twins before looking up at their parents.

"I think I scared Will," Brent sighed softly. "I didn't mean to. We don't know how powerful we are yet. We get too keyed up. I'm sorry, Dad, Ms Grey."

Newlyn gave the boys a fond smile and ruffled each of their hairs. "That's what you're here for, to learn how to control and what your limits are."

“Replacing the post will be one of the things Mr. Rasputin will have Blake due before he sees the Professor, no harm done.” Jean replied. “Though new students are limited in using their powers until we’ve had a chance to test them more completely. We’ve all had our share of misshapes when our powers first manifest.” Jean smiled again. “Why don’t I leave the four of you alone. You’re welcome to stay for dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Davis.”

"I think we will," Newlyn said with a nod and a smile for his wife. "We didn't get a chance to last time but now all our boys are here, we may as well."

Jean nodded. “Good, I’ll make sure extra places are set. Just listen for the stamped and you’ll know when it’s time.” She laughed softly. “Until then feel free help the boys feel more at home.”

Fin looked up and watched as the redhead left. She was still the prettiest and she hadn’t backed down from Blake. He liked her.

"Mama?" Brent asked softly. "Do we really have to stay here? Can we come home?"

She wanted to say yes, but she couldn’t. This wasn’t simply sending her boys off to boarding school, they were gifted in ways that only this school understood. “I’m sorry baby, but you know that you and Fin need to be here.”

Brent sighed but he nodded. He kept his arms around his mother though. He wasn't quite willing to let her go yet. In Frintish, he added that Blake was worse here, he was even crueler.

Fin agreed but replied that the adults here seemed to be able to handle him. They had powers and could use them like Ms. Grey did, and that they would teach them to be stronger and then they could handle Blake too.

Brent admitted that was true and he knew he had to stay. But he knew he'd be homesick. Fin was so much stronger that way than he was.

“We can come home for holiday and school breaks right?” Fin asked.

“Of course you can!” Amelia replied.

"And we'll visit for weekends when we can," Newlyn promised. "We'll bring the Maggies too. I'm sure they'll miss their little twins to dote on."

Fin nodded. “Then she can teach them how to make real food.”

Amelia laughed. “You do know there are others from home here don’t you?”

"More Scots?" Brent asked cheerfully. "Cool!"

“Things won’t be so bad.” Amelia said softly as she caressed her sons’ faces. “You’ll see.”