<USS Banshee> "Family Ties" - Part Three

  • From: Cyanah Kaelyre <cyanah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:51:35 -0800

“Family Ties” – Part Three
by Lieutenant SG Sara Crusher
and Commander Cyanah Kaelyre

They stood on opposite sides of a shallow valley in the gardens of the Kaelyre estate, gazing across at each other, their wedding waiting below. The past few days had been a blur of planning and hurried arrangements, but the offer of Cyanah’s mothers to host the event was too tempting when compared to Sara’s grandmother’s efforts to control every detail of the ceremony. It wasn’t really eloping, they’d decided, since everyone who would have been invited had been able to make it anyway, including Sara’s parents and grandmother, who was quite happy for Sara despite being cut out of the planning.

A lilting refrain began to play on a Delosian woodwind instrument, which was the cue for the two women to descend the gently sloping flower-lined paths into the valley. They walked slowly and in time to the music, each wearing the ring they’d given the other to celebrate their engagement, as it would be used anew to symbolize their marriage. They both wore identical flowing gowns elegantly stitched from the same diaphanous soft airy Delosian cloth that made up the dress Cyanah had given Sara shortly before arriving on Delos just a few days ago. With a nod to Terran tradition, the gowns were white and adorned with embroidery, but without a veil or train.

The two paths converged under a towering tree whose canopy of leaves covered the ceremony and part of the audience. According to Delosian tradition, weddings were conducted at such a place to symbolize two people no longer having to walk solo paths through life, but instead walking one, together. Standing under the tree were Cyanah’s mothers and Sara’s parents, as under Delosian law, only the parents of the couple have the authority to join their families in such a way.

Sara and Cyanah arrived under the tree and stopped to take long looks at each other. They hadn’t been allowed to see each other since last night as another nod to Terran custom, and hadn’t even spoken telepathically since Sara’s grandmother had blocked communication over their bond until the formal bonding ceremony. Now their eyes locked for a few moments, still not speaking for fear of breaking the sanctimony of the event, but speech was unnecessary anyway when their eyes said so much. They turned to face their parents as the music stopped.

Ryssah Kaelyre, Cyanah’s Life-Mother, began to speak. “Welcome, everyone, to the Kaelyre home, where this joining of the Crusher family and the Kaelyre family is about to take place. Let us all give our love and support for these, our children, and wish them well as they begin their journey together. Although Cyanah and Sara are from different cultures, differences can be set aside in the name of love. This ceremony is even a metaphor for the synthesis of three cultures, combining the customs of Delos, Earth, and Betazed.

“First we shall begin with the Terran custom of a ring exchange and vows. Sara and Cyanah have written their own vows and have returned their engagement rings to each other so that they can give them once more as symbols of their joining. Sara, place the ring on Cyanah’s finger and swear your love and devotion to her in your own way.”

Sara had spent most of the night rewriting the vows that she’d been working on since she and Cyanah had agreed to have the wedding on Delos. She just hadn’t felt that she was saying what she wanted to because the actual words seemed to pale in light of the emotion. It had been her grandmother, despite the initial brooding over the change in plans, that come to her as she sat on the balcony of the guest room she’d been in and told her to stop thinking and just feel.

So, that’s what she was doing; she was feeding off the emotions that began to surge though her as she stood with her Imzadi.

“Cyanah,” Sara began as she looked at the woman before her, “you are my best friend, my confidante, my lover, and my life. You taught me about real love, about passion, and about trust. You allowed me to be myself and to become the woman you saw in me while we were only friends, the woman I had no idea existed until the first night I spent in your warm, loving, and safe arms. The night we became Imzadi.”

Sara tried to hold back the tears she felt welling in her eyes, but as she slipped the sapphire ring from her own finger and placed it on Cyanah’s a few managed to roll down her cheek.

“I told you when I gave this to you that night in my quarters that this ring was a blessing, and I was right.” Sara said with a smile. “The proof is that now I am blessed to have you as my wife as well.”

Cyanah felt her cheeks flush and her eyes water, and in her mind she could feel exactly what Sara felt, despite the fact that their bond was currently blocked. She looked at the ring on her finger and then to Sara’s smiling face, and had to fight the urge to kiss her right then and there. Instead, she quietly said, “Thank you, love… thank you so much,” before pausing a moment to collect herself so she could say her vows to Sara.

“I never thought I would find someone this early in life. I joined Starfleet to carry my love of astrophysics into the stars, and I’ve certainly gotten that opportunity, but with a wonderful, unexpected surprise. Meeting you was the best thing that’s ever happened to me, and being with you has made being so far from home enjoyable rather than lonely.”

She took off the ring that she’d given Sara, and held Sara’s hand in both of hers as she placed the ring on her finger and said, “I never even had heard the word Imzadi before I met you, Sara. Now I’m convinced that it isn’t only for Betazoids, as you are my Imzadi in every sense of the word. You described yourself when you described me - best friend, lover, confidante, and life… and now I am grateful to add wife to that list, Shael-Celes.”

There was no stopping the tears any longer. They fell freely as Sara held tightly to Cyanah’s hands. She smiled brightly and mouthed the words ‘I love you’ just as her mother stepped forward taking Ryssah’s place in front of their parents.

Stephanie Crusher stepped even closer to Sara and Cyanah and placed a hand on each of their shoulders as she looked out over the gathering of families. She smiled warmly, a real smile not her polished professional one Sara noted, and cleared her throat.  The brides were not the only ones shedding a tear or two.

“Both Sara and Cyanah have confessed their love for one another and in doing so have acknowledged being Imzadi. Imzadi is word used by Betazoids in reference to the one person who has done what no other person had been able to do before or will ever be able to do again. They’ve touched each other’s souls.” Stephanie paused to look down at Sara and Cyanah. “The bond the two of you formed between each other, the bond only true Imzadi can have, is something remarkable, special, and timeless.” She paused again as she caressed each of their cheeks. “And now as you stand before your families, is the time to make it eternal.”

Stephanie looked quickly at her own mother. Sorcha, being the matriarch of their family and a full telepath, would be the one reinforcing the bond between her granddaughter and Cyanah. She nodded at Stephanie who then returned her gaze to the young couple. Stephanie took Sara and Cyanah both by the hand, placed their hands together, and then reached up to remove a long silk scarf from around her neck. “Look at each other as you clasp hands. Think of only each other, the love between you, and the bond you share as I bind your hands, a symbol of your coming together and of the bond that only the two of you can feel.”

Sara turned and looked into the depths of Cyanah’s sparking green eyes. She could see how much Cyanah loved her and knew that in return Cyanah could see the same thing in her own green eyes. As she began to focus only on Cyanah and herself, she could feel everything and everyone around them melt away. Her eyes closed of their own will and suddenly she could see multitudes of images of them from her memory.

Cyanah coming in for her crew physical, which was when they first met. Playing volleyball on the beach and sitting on Cyanah’s couch talking. Sara could see herself dragging Cyanah towards a turbo lift heading for the spa on DS9. That night in Cyanah’s quarters, their first kiss, the first time they made love, giving Cyanah the chameleon rose on the beach, skinny dipping on the holodeck, the night in the cabin, asking Cyanah to marry her. It all pasted in a blur in mind.

Cyanah closed her eyes and was amazed to find that she could vividly recall every single moment that she’d shared with Sara. It was as if their combined memories filled in any gaps, leaving them with a complete record of their life together, so far. She could feel that the block on their bond had been lifted as Sara’s emotions flooded into her mind, stronger than ever before, and she welcomed them, having felt uneasy without their comforting presence. Maintaining her focus on Sara and Sara alone, she waited, her hand clasped tightly in Sara’s.

Sara felt slightly light headed as she finally opened her eyes, but she didn’t care, being too wrapped up in the new, stronger sensations that were washing over her. She’d barely heard her mother end the bonding with the traditional, “It is done.” Sara smiled brightly at Cyanah. It all still seemed like a dream; she was no longer alone, not that she’d been alone over the past year, but somehow it was different now - she was different now.

A soft sound coming from her left made Sara blush as she turned. Her mother and Ryssah now stood side by side, and her father and Trallah had stepped up to stand next to their respective partners. Sara could feel Cyanah squeeze her hand that made the silk scarf brush against her skin. This was the final moment, and Sara could feel her breath catching in her throat as she watched Ryssah closely.

A wide smile danced across her face as she watched and listened to Ryssah, and the thought, ’I have mothers-in-law now!’ passed though her mind.

Stephanie and Ryssah joined hands and began to speak as they removed the scarf that bound their daughters. “The bonding is completed. We, the mothers of these two and representatives of our families, hereby declare them to be Life-Partners, Shael-Celes, in accordance with Delosian and Federation law.” Ryssah continued alone, “Sara has decided to take the Kaelyre surname, so I now pronounce her to be Lady Sara Kaelyre, a noble of Delos, and welcome her into our family as I know the Crushers welcome Cyanah into theirs.”

Stephanie smiled and added, “In a Terran wedding, now would be the time to seal the union with a kiss, so please, if you will.” At least two minutes later, she spoke up again, “And everyone else will be at the reception waiting, so join us when you’re done.” Sara and Cyanah broke their long kiss, and turned to walk back to the main house together, a hint of a blush on Sara’s cheeks.