<USS Atlantis> "The Divergent Path"

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <groundzero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussatlantis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:15:52 -0700

“The Divergent Path”
by Lt. Commander Houston Ducaine
& Major Adam Drake

His bag was slung over his shoulder in the most graceful way. He moved down the corridor with glances of respect and gratefulness, but that didn’t deter him. It was a facade, he knew, but it was one that he led and not them. It was time to put it all behind him. Since they were approaching the Discovery Adam figured it was as good a time as any to get out.

The doors opened up and the shuttle loomed in front of him. A man about his own age stepped out with his own bag over his shoulder. There was a smile on his face and he walked down the ramp onto the cold steel flooring. The man raised his hand back up the ramp and a young boy walked down the ramp. The boy, not fifteen, walked down next to his father.

Adam stopped, nodding slightly, “Lt. Commander Houston Ducaine, I presume?”

“The departing Major Adam Drake. Not many people would give up such a key position on the flagship of the third fleet. However, I am not one to turn down such an opportunity.” Ducaine stuck his hand out to shake with the marine. “Any quirks I should be aware of?”

“They will all be explained to you by your second-in-command. Lieutenant Major Michael Jeddin. He’ll have all the updates and the quirks that I’ve found in my two and a half year tenure here. Don’t worry, you’ll adapt well.” Adam nodded and looked at the boy next to him. “And who’s this?”

“My name is Keaton Ducaine, sir. But, you can call me Keys, all my friends do.” The young boy smiled as his father ran a hand through his hair. “I hear you are one of the best engineers the fleet has to offer. Why you leaving?”

“It was time.”

“Well, I hope my father can fill your shoes.”

Houston chuckled slightly, placing his arm around his son’s shoulders, “I’m glad my son has so much faith in my abilities.”

“You were an Assistant Chief Engineer for three years dad. Plus, you were a Lt. Commander that way.” The boy looked up at his father, smiling playfully. “It is about damn time you get a promotion in my eyes. Glad fleet pulled their heads out of their asses long enough to see it too.”

“Watch your language young man.”

“Sorry, dad.”

Adam smirked at the father-son antics being exchanged between the two, but realized that it was time to go. “All right, Mr. Jeddin also has all the stuff that you need to be aware of for this next mission with the Xindi. I sure hope you’re able to dive right in.”

“I’m sure that I will be able to manage it.”

“You seem like a good man, Mr. Ducaine.”

“I like to think so. Fair journey, Major.”

Adam looked the man up and down, nodding at his son and then at him, and then trudged up the ramp that the Lt. Commander had just exited moments before. Tossing his bag inside he leaned over and looked at the man who was replacing him, “Commander, can you finish this quote for me?”

“What quote is that?”

“Never leave a man...”

The commander looked up, “Behind.”

Adam nodded. “Thank you.”

“Why?”

“No reason.” Adam ducked his head into the shuttle as the door closed. Silently, he said a goodbye to his ship and his crew as the shuttle pulled away from the ship and headed towards the nearest starbase. Transfer from the Discovery made, Adam was going home.