[usf-devel] Re: Character orientation in Asian and Mongolian read-direction (verticaltext lines)

  • From: liisa <seelie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usf-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 06:48:45 +0900

> It is probably safe to ignore that attribute when the read-direction is
> Western or Arabic. However if it is not ignored you could create funny
> things here, especially if that tag is interpreted to turn the character
> 90?? counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. Or the attributes could
> allow values "+90", "0", "-90" and maybe more instead of a simple
> boolean flag such as "upright"|"rotated".
>
> The attribute should not be required, therefore it should default to the
> most used setting. I think this is "upright" (else you have to specify
> it on all text in CJK/Mongolian when using Asian/Mongolian read-direction!).
>
> If the attribute is to be an amount of rotation rather than a boolean
> flag, the default should be "0"(??) and is interpreted as upright in
> Asian/Mongolian read-direction. For simplicity, i think the attribute
> values in this case should (at least for a start) be restricted to
> multiples of 90??. Intermediate values allow for fancy effects, but
> proper positioning of such glyphs may pose a problem because the
> "effective" bounding box had to non-orthogonal to the text baseline.
>

> In conclusion i propose the the introduction of a fontstyle attribute
> "glyph-rot" with positive or negative values representing glyph rotation
> given in counter-clockwise degrees without unit (without "??"). The
> default value is "0". Mandatory support for non-animated values "-90",
> "0", "90", "180" and optional (possibly mandatory in the future? -
> rather not..) support of any real number and animation.

Is this a counterpart of ASS \frz ?
But \ftz is "line rotation"
line-rot. and glyph-rot. are 2 different things:

http://usf.subforge.net/images/font-rotation.png

> Comments are welcome.

There's yet another thing to consider.
- tate-chuu-yoko
- ruby direction

http://usf.subforge.net/images/tate-chuu-yoko.png

> allow values "+90", "0", "-90" and maybe more instead of a simple
> boolean flag such as "upright"|"rotated".

That'd be practical, at least as a starter.
only a few possible attributes, like

glyph-rotation = none | left | right | down | inherit

http://usf.corecodec.org