[usbca_chess] Number of possible games that can be played?

  • From: "Alan Dicey" <adicey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:37:48 -0400

Dear Friends,
I have read a couple of times that the possible number of different Games which could be played with a 64 square Chess Board and 32 pieces is equivalent to the number of atoms in the universe.

I have a Question I would appreciate some help with!!
What is the name of the "equation" which was invented to determine how many Chess Games there could be?
I think it was named after the mathematician who came up with it.
For some reason, Ran number or Ram Number comes to my mind, but a search on the Internet does not yield anything.
Thanks for any assistance with this question.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida