[usbca_chess] Chess engines.

  • From: "Chris Ross" <c.ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <usbca_chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 19:39:26 -0000

All,

There is a lot of traffic through this user group at the moment. Most of which
does not seem to target or fully appreciate what a chess program/engine is
meant to do. I, like many others, and specifically, Tyson and Alex, have
written about the objectives of an engine. It should be used for analysis,
theory-based preparation, for openings and latest current lines played by the
top players, and usefully, for checking tactics and blunder-analysis.

When then thinking about chess programs and what they can do, you should ask
yourself about the fruitfulness of the effort you are exerting into the usage
of one. Setting up a position is in the main much quicker or more productive
for a player on a standard board. Indeed, this will promote and encourage you
to analyse the position better and prevents the computer from saving you time,
effort and critically, denying you the practice you need to develop your chess
strength.

There is a certain usefulness in looking at puzzles, targeted positions and I
would argue that many examples of these can be found via other means. There is
no substitute though, none so great, than actual practice over-the-board,
whether that be via leagues, tournaments, correspondence, friendlies or just
with a mate over a beer. The more games you play, the more you will grasp
things, if you take time to consider, contemplate, discuss, debate and learn!

As written many, many times before, remember, chess programs/engines are only
one "tool" in a vast range of things a chess player should adopt.

So, to conclude, all the material and resources are out there for visually
impaired players. Fritz/Shredder, many versions are accessible and the majority
of "engines" can be loaded into any interface. Databases are accessible,

www.chessdb.com

is also an online resource for up-to-date database retrieval and opening theory
is more than available

www.chesspublishing.com

is just one of many such excellent sites.

Now, focus on what is useful, what will develop you and how best to utilise
your time!

Take it easy
Chris