[Umpqua Birds] Re: hummingbird nest on our porch update

  • From: Stacy Burleigh <stacymb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: UmpquaBirdList <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 19:55:58 -0700

Thanks again Francis.
That is very interesting about her not staying on the nest from day 11. My
two Rufous females were not seen much for awhile then they both have been
around a lot again, but now much more aggressive at the feeders so maybe
they were at respective nests and now are just feeding too! I will be very
intrigued to see pictures when they start being more upright and above the
nest edge so I can see what nestling Rufous look like and what feather
color changes take place before they fledge!
Stacy

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Francis Eatherington <
francis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We continue to enjoy the baby hummingbirds growing up in front of our
living room window.

They are now 17 days old. When they were about 11 days old, the mom no
longer nested with them, not even at night. But she comes around a few
times a day to feed them. I got this video this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6K8032efg

There are several more videos, another one today, and one a couple of days
ago, here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi2DcoUk01ZJvjMilF9sO5w/videos

I've also been posting pictures, almost daily, here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/15074242@N00/sets/72157652017704861/

We take the pictures either from inside the house looking out the window,
or a couple of times closer when the mom was not there, which she is mostly
not there.

Francis