[Umpqua Birds] Yard Birds

  • From: Elva Paulson <elvapaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Umpqua Birds Birds <Umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 21:24:39 -0700

We never used to bother with a winter hummingbird feeder but the last few years
we do because of Anna's.  When it got really cold we had 4, but normally it's
only one, maybe one is successful at chasing the others away.
Most years Black-capped chickadees in a flock, but only two this year.
We have had both Mt. chickadee and chestnut-backed but I don't expect them
winter brings
        juncoes
        Wt-cr sparrow
        golden=crowned sp
        song sp
        usually a fox sp
        every two or three years we get a white-throated sp
        usually a pair of towhees
scrub jays
some years a sharp-shinned feeds well in our yard
lots of lesser goldfinches if we have thistle seed out
some goldfinches
usually we have house finches, but not lately ..... odd
small numbers of House sparrows .... not every day
collard doves every day, way more often than mourning doves ..... drat!  I feel
they are displacing the mourning doves.
robins for temporary feasts:  grapes in the fall and later on they come back
for Hawthorn berries

Lots of other birds on occassion, but those are the regulars (if I haven't
spaced out and forgotten something good).  We put out black oil seed, usually
have a thistle feeder out, hummingbird feeder and on the ground we sprinkle
chick scratch (not chick starter, not hen scratch).  Also both a hanging bird
bath and one on the ground.  The one on the ground is just a garbage can lid,
but it gets well used.  Juncoes and such like to bath down there.  The
neighborhood dogs like a good drink too.

Elva Paulson ... we live right in town, close to the Unitarian Church, not far
from Wells Fargo Bank out on Garden Valley Road