[Umpqua Birds] We have hummingbird babies!

  • From: Francis Eatherington <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 15:22:03 -0700

Picture is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15074242@N00/17076852376/

Two cute baby birds in the nest. We suspected something this morning because
when she returned to the nest, it didn't look like she was carrying the same
kind of nesting material, and she was paying more attention to what was under
her.

So these kids could have hatched anytime after I took the last egg pictures,
two days ago.

In order to get a clear picture, we have to use the camera flash, and I don't
want to blind the poor kids... Anybody know if the flash will harm them? I know
we can't take a picture very often.

Maybe we'll try to put the trail cam back up, and put it on time-lapse mode to
take a picture every xx hours or minutes. It will be disruptive to her though,
to even do that, fooling around so much near the nest.

Francis